MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

need a quick reply

CarolynWorl

i have a friend whose daughter had an ear infection. they doc's gave her augmentin and she had a HORRIBLE reaction to it!!! it looks like this over her whole body and when the rash part goes away it leaves bruises

cali-rash-05.jpg

is there anything she can do? they went back to the doctor's and they said to just wait it out. she's giving her daughter aveeno oatmeal baths, but the poor little girl is just miserable. if anyone knows of anything that can help, please let me know!! thanks!!!

I have heard that Garlic Oil is good for an ear infection, but I haven't any experience with it.

My dd is allergic to most antibiotics and the rash on your friends dd looks just like the one mine gets. She is allergic to the medicine or something in the medicine. Make sure that her docs know she had a reaction to this medicine once, because usually the body responds more strongly each time it is exposed to the allergen.

Poor thing - hope she is feeling better soon.

Awww, poor baby. I can't imagine a Dr. telling someone to continue a med that someone is allergic to.

Nowadays, most Dr.s won't prescribe meds for regular children's earaches. In many cases it does more harm than good. Maybe they need to get a better pediatrician.

I don't know what natural things might work. I'm sure google will turn up something.

Sure hope the little sweetie feels better soon.

Poor baby, I know just how she feels. I've been there- done that with antibiotics and a lot of other meds.

Oatmeal baths help some, adding some slippery elm bark tea to them helps too. Cool cloths will often take the worst itching away but doesn't work for long and is not all that helpful all over the body as it brings the temp too low. Still, for a real problem area it helps.

Having her drink lots of water will help flush the toxins out of her system faster. Giving her lemon balm or chamomile tea is calming but watch for allergies to them. You don't usually see them but you can.

I've used mullein oil drops for earaches which I'm prone to also. That seems to kick the infection. I believe you can buy it but I make my own. Garlic, echinacea, astragalus, elderberry... are all immune inhancers when taken internally but sometime with a reaction like she has the body is in auto-immune mode and adding to that is not a good idea. Ear drops, cold compresses or ice on the ear might be a better idea until the rash clears some.

Just some ideas to add to all the rest. I sure hope the little darling feels better soon.

I have seen that before on ds12 when he was younger...augmentin is a strong antibiotic..they took ds off it immediately and put him on amoxicillin. It took a few days for it to go away...used cool cloths and just had to wait for it to get out of his system. I was prescribed augmentin once and it tore up my stomach...got a bad case of diarrhea. i won't take it again. Hope she feels better quickly.

Stacy

My daughter had a reaction like that once. The doctor said to stop her meds immediately and give her Benadryl every 4 hours, until it went away. I didn't have to give her a second dose.

As for the earache, I use equal parts vinegar and isopropyl alcohol (regular rubbing alcohol). Put 4 - 6 drops in the affected ear, every 4 hours, then put cotton in the ear to catch any drips. I told my doctor about this solution and she said it was a good mixture that she used on her own children.

Archived