MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

feeling brave? cake recipe

I was sent this recipe and I haven't tried it but I thought I'd pass it on.

Simple Cake

A simple cake that requires no perishables

Simple cake is a classic recipe from the depression era because of the rationing of butter and eggs. This is a pretty simple thing to make that would allow one more semblance of normal living if a major disaster strikes. It has the added benefit of being edible by those with egg and peanut allergies in normal times. Though some may not see this as being something that is pertinent after a disaster, in a lot of ways something as simple as a birthday cake could go a long way at helping people especially children relieve some of the stresses involved.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cup flour

3 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 Tbsp vinegar

5 Tbsp oil

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup water

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until you get a smooth batter. Do not beat. Pour into greased and floured pan (8" square or 9" round) or 12 cupcakes. Bake in oven until tests done - about 35 minutes for cake, about 20 minutes for cupcakes.

Substitutions:

Vanilla: omit cocoa. Double the amount of vanilla.

Spice: omit cocoa. Add 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice.

Orange: omit cocoa & vinegar. Substitute orange juice for the water.

Lemon: omit cocoa. Substitute lemon juice for vinegar. Can add some lemon extract.

One of my most favorite easy cakes is the 1234 cake!

The one above looks interesting (no eggs huh) and if good what a find. I love simple easy cakes that are yummy. Thanks (I think) LOL. I'm always trying new recipes and if this one doesn't turn out there is no great loss re: the ingrediants.

try it out and let us know how it works!

Oven is heating up...cake batter is made and in pan...the raw batter tastes *ok*...we'll see how it turns out baked.

I had to really slap my hand a few times cause I kept trying to *tweak* it...rofl

Ok, I tasted it...

It's actually not bad for an eggless cake. There's a subtle difference in flavor but the cake came out a rich chocolate brown color. I put some vanilla icing on it and tasted it like that (just another excuse to eat some more) and you couldn't tell the difference from a store bought mix.

This is a keeper for me...and it was fun trying it out!

*darlenesticks her tongue out at the chickens who didn't try it*...

lol

This was the first cake my great-grandmother taught me how to make. Our family calls it "Wacky Cake", probably because of the missing ingredients. But the baking soda/vinegar combo makes a cool effect if you make a hill with the dry stuff, poke your finger down the middle to make a crater, and pour the liquid in the hole. I still get a chuckle when I make this!

I made cupcakes. They took closer to 30 minutes. And the middle of the top of each has a tiny dent. Dh & the kids loved 'em. I tried a nibble (I'm on a diet) and it seemed as good as any boxed mix: light, moist, tasty. BTW, I stuck with the original chocolate.

A good basic recipe. Thanks for sharing it, Misty.

Archived