MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Got raw milk??? Sshhhhhh...

I would rather have the raw milk. And the cream. I haven't made butter since I was a teen, but it was always fun to do. I miss that so much. And to think I was a criminal even then.... whistle

Q

One of my dearest friends and I were discussing the urge to find raw milk for our families. I really need to get some goats... bounce

There are goats and cows all over my area, but I have been hesitant to ask about raw milk until I really know my "neighbors".

On a side note...last August my hubby was doing some contruction on an aquaintance's organic free-range chicken farm. He was offered a glass of freshly cooled raw cow's milk. Well, an hour later he was puking it all up. eek I think the moral of the story is that working outside in 104* Texas heat and attempting to quench one's thirst with milk was a rotten idea.

Ok, I may have a wicked sense of humor but I really laughed when that happened...anyone remember the movie Anchorman???

It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption here too. The dedicated have bypassed the problem. They sell it legally by printing on the label "not for human consumption" it is kept in the fridge and what a consumer does with it when they take it home is their business and no-one elses!

We also are banned from bartering, giving or selling eggs from the backyard coop. Dont think that law changed to much either!

Sue

Originally Posted By: SueC
It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption here too. The dedicated have bypassed the problem. They sell it legally by printing on the label "not for human consumption" it is kept in the fridge and what a consumer does with it when they take it home is their business and no-one elses!

We also are banned from bartering, giving or selling eggs from the backyard coop. Dont think that law changed to much either!

Sue

barred from selling eggs? eek

My Dad buys his eggs from a nieghbor down the road and has been doing since I don't know when. The guy free-ranches (understatement, they wander everywhere).

Why can't they sell the eggs?

I'm all confused...
(Okay more than natural..LOL)

apparently egg shells are porous and therefor the chicken might accidently poop on the egg and the egg might absorb some poop and it might make people sick! But of course if you want to pay lots of $ then you can have your chook house inspected and then you can give them away or sell them or whatever. After you have payed the money it doesn't matter!

Strange how many people still sell/barter and give away their eggs, with "I'll deny it if you sue me"

Sue

"In California where the sale of raw milk is legal, Organic Pastures Dairy says it has sold more than 40 million servings of raw milk without complaint."

You must be USDA certified to do this.

"NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" I only sell to do dog people. I never sell for human consumption.. I have a document they sign saying that they understand that this milk in not USDA certified and I am not a dairy! and more..

I have given this a lot of thought and am thinking to cover myself I may need to video tape this.. reading what is written and watching them say "I understand" and the signing. I am concerned that someone may drink it and sue me saying even though they signed it they didn't understand what they were reading!

I sell colostrum in ice cube shapes. Each ice cube is aprox. 1 ounce.

I don't have time to sell to people for people. Gosh, I sure hope when they get home they aren't drinking it.

eggs.. here in california, as far as I know isn't an issue. People have signs "Fresh Eggs" by their driveways.

I wonder how long it will be before "U-Pick" places will be against the law?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: westbrook
"In California where the sale of raw milk is legal, Organic Pastures Dairy says it has sold more than 40 million servings of raw milk without complaint."

You must be USDA certified to do this.

I just saw this thread...they have raw milk for sale at our local coop for $7.99 for a half gallon. eek Must be like liquid gold...are there major health benefits to drinking this? Is that why someone would pay that much for milk?
Stacy

raw milk is from the goat or cow to you! no one has spun out the cream, boiled it, added Vit. D to it, enhanced it in any way, no hormones, antibiotics, and most of the time organically fed.

just the organic feeds are expensive if you can find them.

The expensse I would have to go through to be USDA certified would cost me more then I would ever make back since I am not, nor will I ever be a full blown dairy.

If you want raw... find someone and swear it is for animals... most are happy to get a few dollars for theirs to help pay for feed.

Archived