MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

For those that process their own meat

Ok I was in the grocery store the other day and noticed they had hams in the bags hanging up. I have seen these before but never really paid attention to them. What promoted this question a young lady asked if those hams were good since they were not refrigerated. They guy told her yes that they had been cured. Now my question is how long is one of those hams good for? For long term storage how long can a cured ham wrapped in one of those bags be stored and still be edible?

I can't help you mommato3boys but it's a great question. I'd like to know the answer too.

Maybe it's stamped on the bag but I know many things last lots longer than the stamped date.

You mean a country ham? We have a good producer here in town and I'll copy some of their info for ya here and give you a link to them...it's the only kind we buy. There is also a diagram at that link that shows you how to cut up a country ham. Good recipes too! We have some that we got two years ago that is still good in the freezer.

Q

"All Clifty Farm Hams are fully cured and are easily stored by wrapping in a brown paper bag and hanging in a cool dry place. Do not wrap in plastic. Once the ham is cut you should slice the entire ham and wrap in individual or family size servings and freeze. Then your ham can be stored for long periods of time and can be thawed and prepared as needed. The hock and small pieces should be wrapped and frozen separately. They make excellent seasoning meat when you cook beans and vegetables.

The proper way to slice any ham is parallel to the Aitchbone. Ham is most tender when sliced this way rather than straight across. The butt portion is best for baking and breakfast slices and the shank slices for biscuit portion and cubing.

If you like, you can have your ham sliced at your local butcher shop or supermarket. They generally offer this service free or for a small charge."

http://www.cliftyfarm.com/recipes.htm

let me tell you what little I know...

not cut into about a season.. that equates to not quite a year.

The ones I bought were salt cured very, very, salty!

I kept one a year befoe slicing into and then refrigerated it. I had to wash the salt out of it (several rinsings and soakings) before I could use it. The second one I sliced and put back into the burlap sack and let it sit for a few months.. it molded. I am sure I could have eaten it.. but threw it out.

That much salt hummmmmmmmm, thanks for that info. We ever we had hogs processed we alway got them "green" (non-cured, non-smoked)You just reminded why we did that.

Jewlzm, I will post their answer here when they respond.

here is the link...

Tips on Smoking/Barbequeing Foods

by Starfish Consulting

Curing of meats by drying, salting, and/or smoking, has been going on for thousands of years, since refrigerators and freezers did not exist until recently. Earliest methods were probably using sun and wind. Then fire came along to aid in the cooking and drying process. As a result of using fire, they noticed that the meat tasted better and lasted longer. Later, the process of "salting" meat prior to smoking was discovered. Now curing of meats using salt, drying, smoke is used to enjoy the flavors, and sometimes reminisce about foods of earlier times. And what's more, smoking your own food is fun, safe and easy.

The first step in curing meats, or smoking, whether they be fish, fowl, or meat, is the process of "salting." Salting can be a brine, a marinade, or a "rub." When you add salt to a cut of meat, the meat proteins begin to dissolve and the meat becomes tacky. It also suppresses the growth of bacteria. Then when heated, the dissolved proteins begin to set up and "bind" the meat. These physical, chemical, and bacteriological changes are important for properly smoking meats.

The next step is the process of drying meats. You could use sun and wind to dry your cured meat, however you probably would not be very popular with your neighbors, or the health department. And, if you told your friends and family how you dried your meats, they would probably be skeptical and pass on your offer. So, I would recommend a more conventional method of using a smoker, barbeque grill, or even your oven. Drying is important because...

o You want the meat to lose some of it's moisture quickly.

o Raise the internal temperature of the meat above 145F to ensure all bacteria are killed.

o The proteins set up and "bind" the meat.

o The cured meat color develops.

The smoke vapor from your smoker, or barbeque grill adds flavor to your meats, but also provides an extra protection from bacteria. Remember the above process is not a magic process that will restore freshness and good flavor to food that is already tainted. Always try to use fresh meats, spices, or other products used in the preparation of your meat. And, following proper procedures of keeping meats refrigerated, throwing away products you used in the preparation of your meats (i.e. brines, marinades, used rubs, etc.), washing your hands, keeping work spaces clean, and finally refrigerating your finished product. You, your family, and friends will enjoy your smoked meat all the more.

not including the drawings....

Using your Barbeque Grill or Oven to Smoke Food

by Starfish Consulting

You can use your barbeque grill to slow cook, barbeque, or smoke your favorite foods. All too often barbeque grills are used for grilling food. Temperatures of 350, 500 or hotter are common. This is great if you are grilling hamburgers, hot dogs, or a steak, but if you want really tender, juicy, smoky flavored foods then you need to "turn the heat down". This requires that you use the "indirect heat/smoke method" in your barbeque grill. The indirect method requires that you keep the heat and smoke source, i.e. charcoal and wood chips, off to the sides of the barbeque grill so the heat does not directly cook your food. Instead you use low heat to slowly cook your food. A loose rule of thumb might be one hour slow cooking per pound of meat.

To start your barbeque smoker, mound the charcoal off to one side, let it burn and when it gets ashen or the charcoal turns white, then spread out the coals, and add your wood for smoke. The heat and smoke will rise up one side of your barbeque, cool slightly, and come down the other side where your food is - a simple sort of convection oven.

It is important that you put a pan of water in the bottom of your barbeque grill and put the coals and wood chips off to one side, or around the water pan. A water pan will help keep the temperature constant and keep your foods from completely drying out. The water pan doesn't need to be big or deep, a foil pie pan that holds an inch or so of water will do just fine. Position the food over the water pan, not the charcoal. The water will get hot so be careful when removing the water from your barbeque grill, or better yet just wait till the coals are cool and so is the water. And remember, you may need to add water to your water pan, so check the water pan when checking your food. And be careful! Spilling water on hot coals could give you a nasty steam burn.

It's important to keep the barbeque grill temperature down between 125F and 220F, otherwise you'll cook your food, rather than smoke, or slow cook it. Make sure you use warmer temperatures for turkey, chicken and poultry because we need to keep it hot to stop bacteria. I often insert a cooking thermometer in a vent of my barbeque grill and let it hang down inside to get an idea of how hot (or cold) my barbeque is.

Try these success tips:

o Keep the vents closed except for a crack. You'll probably need to experiment with opening and closing vents at first until the desired temperature is reached.

o Resist the urge to check your food too often, or show others what you are cooking, each time the lid is opened you lose valuable heat and smoke. Also tell your family and guests not to open the lid to see what's cooking because again, you lose heat and smoke.

o Don't add too much charcoal since charcoal provides the heat for your barbeque grill. When adding charcoal, try to add charcoal that is already hot. And, don't add charcoal that is soaked in lighter fluid for easy lighting, your food will have a chemical taste like lighter fluid.

o Add wood chips soaked in water for an hour before you put them on top of the charcoal to smolder. Each time you add wood chips or charcoal you'll lose heat and will need to wait before it builds up again. This will add smoke and keep the temperature down.

o If using propane, adjust the flame to provide the proper temperature.

o Record the time you placed your food on the barbeque, so you'll always know how long it has been cooking. Each hour record the temperature of your barbeque grill so you know how even the heat has been.

o Know what you are cooking, how much it weighs, and how thick it is. I always like to start bone side down, or fat side up. Then calculate how long it should take to cook, and at half that time rotate my food, and then at half again rotate. So, if my beef brisket weighed 8 lbs, I would cook it for at least 8 hours, start it with fat side up, flip it a 4 hours, then again at 2 hours, and again at 1 hour, then finish.

o Keep your barbeque grill out of wind and rain when smoking meat.

o NEVER use your barbeque grill to smoke meat in an enclosed space, like your house, or garage. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

o Finally, relax this is supposed to be fun. Good food comes to those who wait. Real barbeque is not fast food.

Return to Tips on Smoking Foods

If you live in a place where you can't use a smoker to smoke foods, try a more conventional method of using your oven. Your oven will provide the drying, and binding of the meat. You'll need to provide the smoke. DO NOT try to put wood or wood chips in your oven! It could create a fire, ruin your meat, and perhaps ruin your whole day after burning your house or apartment down.

To get smoke flavor, purchase a bottle of liquid smoke at the grocery store or deli. (If you can't find liquid smoke at your grocery or deli, check The Store at Starfish Consulting and we can sell you some.) After brining, or marinading your food, pour some liquid smoke on your food and thoroughly rub it in. Don't use too much liquid smoke, a little goes a long, long way. For a whole filet of salmon, I barely use a teaspoon of liquid smoke. Then I reapply with a 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke after fish has been in the oven for 2 hours.

I suggest putting a shallow pan or cookie sheet below your meat to deflect the heat and keep your oven clean from the drippings. Remember keep the heat low, between 145F and 165F. Check your meat often to make sure that you are not over cooking it. The only drawback of this method is that your smoked food will not have that real smoked food look, but it will taste good.

Is it done yet?!

Testing for barbeque doneness!

by Starfish Consulting

One of the toughest things in barbeque is trying to determine if your food is done. This generally comes with years of practice, and paying attention to the following items:

o The meat you are cooking (poultry, beef, pork), the cut (brisket, ribs, breast, etc.), thickness, and size. Before barbequeing, always examine the food you are about to cook. Better yet, examine it before you buy it. Look at how much fat there is, and how much bone. Good fresh meat doesn't smell, or feel slimy, or soft. It should be firm, moist to the touch, and odorless. If there's too much fat, trim some off. Trim off anything you consider un-appealing.

o The temperature of your barbeque, not just now, but throughout the cooking process. Has it been steady, hot at first but now cooling down, etc.. This will very much affect the success of your barbeque. Notice the temperature just before you open your barbeque to rotate your food, and immediately afterward - is there any affect? Do you need to add coals or wood?

o Know when you want to open your barbeque and be ready to do whatever needs to be done. Have your tongs or fork ready, oven mits, spray bottle with apple juice, coals, wood, etc.. Don't open your barbeque just to take a look - it's not going anywhere! Your barbeque should only be opened for the following reasons, temperature is too hot, need to rotate, temperature too cold - need to add coals or wood, or it's done.

o If there is a wind blowing, or if it's cold, or damp (fog or rain) you'll need to pay more attention to your barbeque temperature.

o If your food is getting burnt on the outside but cool on the inside you're grilling, not barbequeing. Try wrapping your food with clear plastic film (Saran Wrap), then wrapping in foil. This will keep the outside from becoming further charred, but allow the inside to cook. This also traps moisture and natural meat juices making for a very juicy barbeque. We almost always wrap our barbeque, whether it be turkey, brisket, ribs, or whatever, for the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the cooking time.

o When slow cooking your foods, commonly a "smoke ring" will develop as your meat is being cooked. This smoke ring is commonly red in color and may be anywhere from an 1/8" to perhaps 1/2" or more depending on the smoke. Many inexperienced barbequer's will mistakenly see this as being red uncooked meat. Experienced BBQer's work toward getting a good smoke ring. Your smoked sausage will be red all through because of the smoke. Smoked turkey and chicken may startle many folks into thinking it's not done, because the dark meat will be red, or breast meat near the cavity of the bird and the skin will be red. To test for doneness, the meat should be firm, easily pull apart, and not be shiny or translucent. Tell them there is nothing to worry about, it's just the smoke ring.

Finally, you've payed attention to the temperature, you've rotated your food, you've wrapped it, but everyone asks "Is it done yet?" We've compiled the following doneness chart to help you determine if it's ready. Remember to check the thickest part of the meat, staying away from bone since bone gets hot. And whenever serving barbeque to children always make sure it is well-done, or fully cooked. Real barbeque experts will tell you never to use a thermometer to check your meat to see if it is ready, but until you feel you're an expert, go ahead and use a thermometer. It's your barbeque.

Return to Tips on Smoking Foods

Tips on Smoking Foods - Beef Jerky

by Starfish Consulting

Hard curing of meats used to be a necessity before refrigeration, but this is no longer a necessity. Meats were salted and dried so much so, that to before anyone could eat it it had to be boiled for a period of time to soften it up. Fortunately, we no longer need to boil our hard cured meats, now we enjoy hard cured meats for their flavor, as a snack, and to reminisce about older western times, or on sailing ships. In fact, we don't call it hard cured meat, we call it JERKY.

As is with smoking fish we will use a brine to cure the meat before smoking. However, rather than call it a brine, we'll call it a marinade. I have tried 100's of different ingredients, from various pepper sauces, soy sauce, to wines in my marinades and unlike fish, found that flavors are much more imparted to meat than fish. So when making jerky I don't use a basic no-nonsense brine/marinade, rather I use a more complex marinade. I enjoy the flavors of red wine, bourbon, garlic, soy sauce, peppers in my marinades. Flavors I'm sure that early sailors or pioneers never enjoyed. Again, you be the judge in perfecting your jerky marinade. Enjoy!

What meat do I use for making beef jerky? Try chuck, or shoulder roast, or my favorite - flank steak. I don't always recommend making anything other than beef jerky, since pork and poultry require higher heat and longer heating times for health reasons. And, remember although we will use a marinade or brine, then apply smoke and heat when curing our foods, it is still best to refrigerate our food when brining and after we're finished. We have refrigerators, let's use them and only reminisce about when they weren't available. Getting sick is no fun.

Marinade Recipes for Making Beef Jerky

My secrets to always getting compliments on beef jerky are by the following tips:

o Make sure your meat is neatly trimmed removing all fat and gristle. Cut it into the chunks before marinating. Slice the meat with the grain. Many times I slightly freeze the meat, it makes it easier to cut and/or slice.

o Stir or rotate your meat when in the marinade. Keep your meat and marinade in the refrigerator. Never use metal containers, always use glass or plastic.

o Don't under marinate your meat, I always marinate it for at least 8 hours. After marinating it, I don't always rinse my meat like I do fish. This keeps the flavors stronger.

o Allow your marinated meat air dry on paper towels for about 1 hour.

o For something extra, try lightly sprinkling your meat after marinating and before smoking with pepper, garlic, cajun seasoning, a 50/50 mix of honey and mustard, or whatever you want to experiment with.

o For smokers, and barbeque grills, add plenty of wood for smoking early in the drying process, using only heat later. Know your woods, fruit woods (plum, apple, etc.) leave a slightly sweet smoke taste, alder a mild smoky taste, hickory and mesquite leave a sharp smoky taste. (If you can't find alder wood chips, email Starfish Consulting and we can sell you some.) Never use green woods, they leave a bitter taste. In barbeque grills it is probably best to soak your wood in water for an hour before using - keeps the heat down. For the oven, rub your meat lightly with liquid smoke (a little goes a long way) initially, and maybe once more if you like a heavy smoke taste. The trick here is to use less at first, so you can re-apply.

o Keep your smoker, or grill out of the wind and rain.

o Monitor the temperature of your smoker, grill, or oven. Don't let it get too hot. Smoking temperatures should be between 145-165F. A problem with barbeque grills is that they get too hot and you end up barbecuing or grilling your meat. The solution is to close down the vents, and don't use too much charcoal.

o I like a good smoke for my jerky, so I try and smoke it longer, 8 - 10 hours or even longer if you like it drier and chewier.

o Finally, I always cut my jerky into bite sized chunks, even if it is in strips to make eating it easier. My jerky during preparation was cut with the grain, now I cut it across the grain.

Marinade Recipes for Beef Jerky

Basic "Pioneer" Brine

Ingredients

1/2 cup non-iodized salt

1/2 cup white sugar

1 qt. water

Fill a large container with 1/2 quart of cool water. Add salt and sugar. Mix thoroughly until well dissolved. Add the remaining 1/2 quart of water.

Slice meat very thin (as thin as possible) with the grain. Immerse meat and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Marinate for at least 12 hours. Rinse meat and let dry for 1 hour on paper towels before smoking.

Good for up to 5 lbs. of sliced meat.

Classic Beef Jerky Marinade

Ingredients

1/4 cup non-iodized salt

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups soy sauce

1 cup water

1 cup red wine

1 T garlic powder

1 T onion powder

1 T black pepper

1 t Tabasco sauce

Fill a large container with above ingredients. Mix thoroughly until well dissolved.

Slice meat 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Place meat in marinade and refrigerate for no less than 8 hours.

DO NOT rinse but allow chunks/strips to air dry on a paper towel for at least one hour prior to smoking. Try using alder or fruit wood chips when smoking this recipe to enhance the flavors.

Wild West Jerky

Ingredients

1/4 cup non-iodized salt

1/4 cup sugar

2 cups water

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup apple cider

1 "shot glass" of bourbon or brandy

1 T onion powder

1 T garlic powder

1/2 T fresh grated ginger

1/2 T fresh grated orange peel

6 cloves

Fill a large container with above ingredients. Mix thoroughly until well dissolved.

Slice meat 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Place meat in marinade and refrigerate for no less than 8 hours.

DO NOT rinse but allow chunks/strips to air dry on a paper towel for at least one hour prior to smoking.

Poker Jerky

Ingredients

1/2 cup non-iodized salt

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups soy sauce

1 cup water

1 cup red wine

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 T onion powder

1/2 T black pepper

1 T Tabasco sauce

DO NOT rinse but allow chunks/strips to air dry on a paper towel for at least one hour prior to smoking.

Try using Hickory or Mesquite wood chips when smoking. After smoking loosely wrap meat in aluminum foil and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours or more to let the flavors settle. Thinly slice cross the grain, then serve with cheese, crackers and various sauces.

Making Your Own BBQ Sauce

by Starfish Consulting

BBQ Sauce. To some it is the sauce that makes it barbeque, to others, like a fine wine it must blend with the meat, and to some it is just a condiment. Stories have been told that folks will travel hundreds of miles just to enjoy a good barbecue sauce. Whatever BBQ sauce is to you, it is tradition to barbeque.

Barbeque sauce is undergoing a renaissance. Go through any grocery store, butcher, or barbeque supply and you're likely to see at least two to three dozen different barbeque sauces. We've collected some 39 barbeque sauce recipes alone. Some are yellow, some are brown, most are red, some are hot, some are sweet, some are thick, some are thin, there's no limit to the combination of flavors. (You can even find enjoyment in reading the labels, pigs, peppers, cows, fire, and again unlimited combinations.) So which one is right for your barbeque? It might just depend on where you or your family are from.

The earliest recorded recipe for barbeque sauce comes from the late 1700's around Revolutionary war times. It was a simple sauce - vinegar. Actually, it is not so much a sauce but rather a "dip" in which roasted pork (barbeque) was dipped into vinegar before eating. Later, the sauce (or dip) developed by adding water, a pinch of sugar, and red peppers to the basic core ingredient of vinegar. This is a "tidewater" barbeque sauce and still can be found along the eastern Carolina shores. As you move inland tomatoes and other spices were added to the vinegar sauce. A famous North Carolina sauce/dip lists vinegar, ketchup, water, spices and salt as it's ingredients (of course, getting the correct combination of ingredients is the secret). As barbecue sauce moved west, it changed. Crossing the Great Smoky Mtns. into Tennessee and Kentucky the sauce became sweeter, and with less vinegar. As the journey west continued, tomatoes, whether as whole, sauce, or ketchup, became the main ingredient, replacing vinegar. When BBQ sauce came to Texas, tomatoes were still the cheif ingredient, but now hot peppers - habaneros, jalapenos, chili powder, etc. became an important ingredient. Barbeque also changed from being pork, to beef. And, barbeque sauce became an integral component while cooking. Finally, as BBQ sauce kept on it's journey west it has become even more a menagerie of ingredients to include pureed mangoes, apple sauce, soy sauce, and exotic spices.

There is much debate on what is real barbeque, and the real barbeque sauce. Tidewater barbequer's will swear that tomatoes do not belong in barbeque sauce. They complain that it burns and turns the meat black. Also, once tomatoes burn too long they leave a bitter taste which ruins the meat. (Sugars will also burn and leave the meat black.) Although now it is hard to find a barbeque sauce without tomatoes. Many barbeque affianados will say that BBQ sauce is only added to the meat when it is done and ready to eat, not pasted on while cooking to form a gooey, gloppy mess. Then there are others who say a good BBQ sauce needs to be sweet to balance the heat or smoke flavor. Others complain that if the sauce is too hot, you can't taste the meat. Who's right? Who's wrong? It all depends on where you learned barbeque.

As barbeque continues in popularity across the United States and the world, BBQ sauce is becoming an important component of barbeque. In almost every barbeque competition you can find a category for BBQ sauce. As you and others enjoy barbeque, the common questions are "What kind of sauce is this?", or "Do you make your own sauce?" Your sauce can be as simple or as complex as you make it. You decide which sauce is best for your barbeque. We believe the secret to a really great sauce is that perfect balance of the ingredients, not too much or too little. This comes through time and careful experimentation. You should know that BBQ sauces, their specific ingredients and amounts, are often very well kept secrets, and are treated like family heirlooms, passed on from generation to generation. So, don't always expect to get a recipe if you ask. To get you started on your own recipes, try making these BBQ sauces:

BBQ Sauce Recipes

We've added more BBQ sauce recipes to our downloadable recipe book!

Now there's 60 different recipes!

Try these success tips when making your own BBQ sauce:

o Keep track of how much of each ingredient you add. Although it is fun to just add a bit of this and that, you'll never be able to accurately make that sauce again.

o If you have tomatoes in your sauce, be careful not to burn them while cooking your sauce they will leave a bitter taste.

o Burning or overcooking garlic will give your sauce a nutty flavor, rather than that truly garlic taste.

o Just like slow cooking meat, cooking your sauce with a low heat over time is better than quickly with high heat. Although many sauces recommend coming to a boil, I'd recommend slow heating.

o Recognize that as your sauce ages the spices will change in taste. The day after you make your sauce it may taste great, but then two weeks later it may taste bland.

o If possible, use fresh ingredients they will always taste better than old ingredients.

o Don't be afraid to add unusual ingredients, or ingredients that you enjoy, like orange marmalade, Dr. Pepper, grape juice, etc..

o To make a smooth sauce, strain it (when it is cool) after you are done cooking it.

o Try cooking the different ingredients for different amounts of time. For example, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil and let it simmer an hour before adding the other ingredients.

o Refrigerate your sauce after cooking to keep it fresh and you healthy. And don't sample your sauce with your fingers or a cooking spoon.

o When cooking with a barbeque sauce, try to use the indirect method of barbeque to avoid burning the sauce on your meat which may make it unsightly, or bitter tasting.

BBQ Sauce Recipes

The recipes below are only a few in our collection of over 60 different BBQ sauce recipes.

Texas BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup tomato ketchup

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp chili powder

1/8 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups water

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 bay leaves

1 clove garlic

2 Tbsp onion, chopped

4 Tbsp butter

4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp paprika

dash black pepper

Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.

Note! The celery pieces that are strained out are excellent eating.

Remus's Kansas City Classic Sauce

Recipe By : Remus Powers Originator of the Diddy-Wa-Diddy Sauce contest

Ingredients

1/4 Teaspoon Allspice

1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon

1/4 Teaspoon Mace

14 Teaspoons Black pepper

½ Teaspoon Curry powder, oriental

½ Teaspoon Chili powder

½ Teaspoon Paprika

1/4 Cup White vinegar

½ Teaspoon Hot pepper sauce

1 Cup Ketchup

1/3 Cup Dark molasses

Place all of the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add vinegar and stir. Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixture is thoroughly blended. This sauce may be served room temperature or heated.

Memphis Magic BBQ Sauce

Recipe By : Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison

Ingredients

3 Tablespoons butter

1/4 Cup minced onion

1 Cup white vinegar

1 Cup tomato sauce

1/4 Cup worcestershire sauce

2 Teaspoons sugar

1 Teaspoon salt

½ Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/8 Teaspoon cayenne

Dash tabasco sauce

The center of mid-South barbecue, Memphis offers a range of sauces that take the high middle ground between Eastern and Western styles. Like this version, they are often medium-bodied mixtures, moderate in sweet, heat, and everything else except taste.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onions begin to turn golden. Stir in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the mixture thickens, approximately 20 minutes. Stir frequently.

Use the sauce warm. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.

Basic All-American Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

4 Large onions -- chopped

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil -- for sauteing

1 28 Oz Can tomato puree

3 28 Oz Cans tomatoes -- with juice

2 1/2 Cups white vinegar

4 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

4 Tablespoons granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons salt

2 Tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper

2 Tablespoons paprika

2 Tablespoons chili powder

4 Tablespoons molasses

1 Cup orange juice

2 Tablespoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke

8 Tablespoons brown mustard -- Dijon-style

In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, saute the onion in the oil over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Add all the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered at the lowest possible heat for 4 hours. (This long cooking removes as much acidity as possible from the tomatoes.)

Puree sauce in 2, 3, or more batches to prevent it from spilling out of your food processor or blender.

Will keep 2 weeks, covered, in the refrigerator.

Western North Carolina Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

1 stick of butter

1 large onion, chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup white wine vinegar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 whole cloves

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon chili powder

½ cup brown sugar

2/3 cup ketchup

1 cup water

salt and pepper

Melt butter in a saucepan; add the chopped onion, and minced garlic, until they just begin to brown. Add white wine vinegar, cinnamon, whole cloves, dry mustard, chili powder, brown sugar and ketchup. Stir, then add water and blend. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Dreamland BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

1 can (28 oz.) tomato puree

1/3 cup yellow mustard

3 cups water

1 ½ cups cider vinegar

1/4 dark corn syrup

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons ground red pepper

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

½ teaspoon garlic powder

In large saucepan, whisk together the tomato puree and mustard until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

Carolina Mustard Sauce

Ingredients

3/4 cup yellow mustard

3/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

1 ½ tablespoons butter

2 teaspoons salt

½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper

½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Over low heat, simmer 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.

Coca-Cola Barbeque Sauce

Ingredients

1 can (12 oz.) Classic Coke

1 ½ cups ketchup

1 cup finely chopped onion

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

hot pepper sauce to taste

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 30-45 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Strain if desired. Season with hot pepper sauce.

Atomic Barbeque Sauce

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped

2 cups orange juice

4 cups catsup

½ cup fresh lime juice

1/ cup cider vinegar

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

2 tablespoons dry mustard

2 tablespoon crushed red pepper

2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon chili powder

2 tablespoons tabasco

2 tablespoons tamarind paste, available at Indian and Asian groceries

2 tablespoons honey

2 ½ sticks butter

Add the onion and ½ cup of the juice to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a medium-size saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. Sauce keeps two weeks in fridge.

I just ordered a whole ham and a slab of peppered bacon from the Clifty Farms link, Quiltys...I'll let ya know how I like it when I get it...

It better be good.

darlene

Originally Posted By: Darlene
I just ordered a whole ham and a slab of peppered bacon from the Clifty Farms link, Quiltys...I'll let ya know how I like it when I get it...

It better be good.

darlene

Watch out for that peppered bacon...it will spoil ya till you wont want any other kind. cloud9 Hope you like the ham...it is the only kind of country ham we get any more. And thanks for supporting our local economy! grin

Q

Quiltys...

I bought one of the 14-16lb hams...it came last Friday...

My dad, who is a true deep south southerner has gone absolutely ballistic over that ham. The ham is almost gone, and after I made up the first piece, I turned around and ordered a 18-20lb'er...lol My mom absolutely loves the ham too, so do my children. I used the hock in some fresh green beans I made Sunday southern style and they didn't last very long at all.

I absolutely LOVE that ham...in fact, I won't ever buy any of the garbage stuff in the grocery store ever again...those Clifty Farm hams are the real thang!

Thanks so much for sharing that place...I am so excited to find something so good, and the prices are VERY reasonable. I'm suitably impressed.

Archived