MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rendering lard

I have been reading up on the process of renderng lar, and thought it would interesting to try. Foudn this article:

Rendering lard

So, I am probably have a totally blonde day because at the end of the article, there are pics of quart jars....some have liquid, some solid. Is the liquid the rendered lard before it's cooled? I am assuming that's what it is.....but not sure as my head is not working properly today :coffee3:

I saw the posts from about January regarding storing lard. So what was the final word on storing in quart jars??? shrug

Thanks!

Shawna sheep (I just like the jump-roping sheep LOL!)

Ooooone more question! What can you do with the cracklins?? I have many recipes using cracklins....how do you store them? Can you can them??

yes, left side is hot, right side is cooled.

there is also "Leaf Lard" found around the kidneys of the hog.. save that for your pastries!!!

Years ago when I was very young, we loved to eat the cracklins. smile Mom would cook the lard down and we would just love it, as we could get to eat some of the cracklins while they were warm yet, and then when they cooled down. smile

yumyum

you have to render lard on a cool setting?...maybe thats why mine turned brown? i thought you had to boil it.

Lard is from pigs... Tallow is beef fat... - Sheep fat would be ___ ?

Anyhow - people use fat from any food animal. Sheep should be fine.

shocked i had no idea!! man, am i ever glad i found mrs.s!!! (thanks jo!) i learn so much! tallow, lard... laugh now, westbrook mentioned leaf lard. "save it for pastries" do you have to use leaf lard specifically for pastries, or is it just better for pastries than the other stuff?

now, since the squeal is the only part of the pig one does NOT use, is there anyway we can use it? (waste not want not) we use the "moo" from a cow to make childrens toys, why not the squeal from a pig?

lol

Originally Posted By: SueC
Does it have to be from a pig? Years ago I cooked down the fat from a sheep and it seemed ok

I actually have a cookie recipe that calls for rendered chicken fat....it's one of those old-fashioned baking books and that was the first I had heard of chicken fat in a cookie LOL!

Shawna

You just want to melt it. Slow is the way to go.

Leaf lard is too precious to use for anything but pastries.

Beef tallow makes great candles, very hard (if it's smelly or yellowish, it needs to be rendered again because it's not pure yet).

if my lard is brown, do i have to render it again? on a lower setting?

I have a question. How long will lard stay good for canned in a canning jar without going rancid? Can it just be put on a shelve somewhere or does it have to say in a spare refrigrator, cellar, etc? She may have told in the article but I didn't see it, I can't find my glasses.

Archived