MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Purple Bush Beans in the garden

anybody plant these?

we love them as they are purple on the plant but when you cook them they turn green so everyone will eat them - nice taste too.

They look very nice growing and if you have bushy plants like we do you can find them as they are purple and the plant is green! Just wish they would do that with the Oregon Snow Peas as we always miss a few. wink

This may be a fun one for the Kids Garden to grow and cook.

Yes, these are great! They turn a rich green when cooked or canned.

They're great for the kids to pick, since they're easier for them to see against the stems. And they love the "magic" color change!!

I like them. wink

These are the only type of "green" bean I've grown for the past several years. We can harvest without overlooking half of the crop! And once cooked, you'd never know they started out purple!

For those who are limited to containers and raised planters as I am, these are a bush bean and they work really well contained.

I actually planted quite a bit more than I normally do this year. We usually just eat as many as we harvest as soon as they're picked. I'm going to try dehydrating them and also pickling some. Has anyone tried this with the purple beans? I don't see why they would turn out any different than the standard green ones.

they are what we call 'string beans' and after you cook them no one will be able to tell that they were purple on the plants. And Yes they are also bush beans so they grow a lot of beans in a small space. We plant 2 rows 12" apart spacing the seeds about 6 to 8" down the row.

Have some fun this year and plant some! smile

purple_beans.jpgHere's a picture to help. Found a Romano, as well. romanobeans.jpg
Originally Posted By: Genoa
Andrea,

How many do you plant in each container? We are also container gardeners. I've grown peas in a container, but not beans.

OK I was doing some planning for the garden this year and was going over my companionship chart and thought of you that are planting in containers. Peas are companions to bush beans (as well as carrots, corn, radishes and turnips)
so I was thinking if you planted the peas in the middle (with a stake for them to grow up) and then planted bush beans around the edge. That way the peas would be up first and grow up and the beans would grow out by the edge and then by the time the peas are done - you put the dead vines and the beans have more room to grow? wazzup with that?

Genoa & all,

5 Gal - 1 plant

18 Gal totes - 2 plants

12 sq. foot raised planters (3 ft. deep-they're on a cement slab) 18 plants with thinned out carrots from another bed planted in between.

I've never tracked my actual production - it's kind of hard with all the two legged slugs snitching my produce! And I've always been somewhat limited by space. But this year I've expanded and I have 30 sq. feet in bush beans planted. My goal is to have all the fresh beans we can eat as well as two servings a month to put up (combination of dehydrating and canning) So far, the japanese beetles have thinned out my planters to about one plant per square foot, which is a healthier amount than I originally planted. I'm hoping for a minimum of 1/2 pound per square foot, which is a realistic amount although one year when we had a mild summer which lengthend the bean season, I guestimated that my plants yielded closer to a pound+ per square foot.

I'm trying to keep better records this year, so I'll keep you posted on how they turn out.

Genoa and fellow container gardeners,

What have you had the best luck with?

Archived