MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello, I am new and need yalls expertise

ndbeckner1

I am planning on planting some herbs on my porch, but I have a limited amount of space. I want to plant some things that would be of either medicinal, food grade, or both. Preferrable both or medicinal. I have two porches to choose from: one gets afternoon sunlight and a good deal of it, and the other gets direct morning light and then indirect light. I would please ask for information on what would be best to grow, and all the info on how to grow it. I already have garlic out my ears and no problem growing it. If you ever start with garlic you have it for life. Thanks in advance

sincerely Diane

:hello2: welcome5 ndbeckner1 Glad to have you join us.

I'm sure that we had a great thread about that very subject here somewhere. You might do a search and I'll check also to see if I can find it for you. Lois maybe will jump in here too. We'll do what we can to help.

I can say that many herbs will grow well in containers. You should take stock of what containers you will be using though. How deep are they, How well can they hold moisture or how often will you be able to tend them? What soil will you be using, regular potting soil or do you need lighweight soils to save weight on the floors of the porch? Some herbs can take pretty dastic conditions, others need tender care.

A good idea is to make a list of what you might want to use the herbs for. What herbs do you use in cooking? What ailments might you be considering treating? for instance do you want to treat colds and flu, or stomach aches? Do you want an herb that is good for sore muscles or headaches? Do you like italian foods? Etc. Mint is a good start if you want to treat stomach ailments and it can be used in a lot of other formulas as well as in cooking. Many of the herbs can be used in a dual fashion but you have to get an idea first what you might need.

Just a few ideas to start with until we can find some more definite info for you.

Glad you came home to Mrs. S. grin

bighug

This is a website with info on container gardning with herbs. This is just one of the articles on the net.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles...r_landscape.htm

Container Gardening with Herbs

Large and small herb planters are attractive additions to your porch, deck, or patio. Creeping rosemary and creeping lemon thyme can be used in hanging baskets and will provide a handy source of two great culinary herbs. Bay, lemon verbena, and upright rosemary grow well in larger pots. They all like the sun but will also do well in partially shaded areas. Combinations of thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, and many other herbs do well in window boxes or other containers. Remember to water them every day or two and to fertilize them twice a month. Keep in mind that herbs do not like "wet feet" and should not be allowed to stand in water.

Thank you for you input. I am wanting to be able to have herbs to take care of mostly colds/flu, stomach ailments,bronchitis(my daughter gets that sometimes. Pretty much I am needing things I can use when and if there comes a time when I am not able to go to the doctor either because of finances or a national emergency of some sort. I am using those window boxes you can get at walmart on my deck,either front of back depending on what I am growing. I have grown chives and parsley on my front porch before and they did fine. I am thinking of growing them there. I will be using miricale(sp?) grow potting soil. I have 4 of these boxes. If you were to pick 4 of the most important herbs to have on hand, what would they be?

You realize that you can grow more than one herb in each pot, right? Mint will crowd other things out, but other herbs will gladly share space. wink

:welcome:

Well you have garlic already, if you have space anywhere I'd put in some onions, they are wonderful for bronchitis (I get it at least once a year and an onion plaster, while not the most pleasant, really loosens the gunk-lmk if you need instructions for this).

With limited space I would want rosemary and oregano, both are powerful anti-lots of stuff and go great in cooking. Chamomile is a great additoin as well, although not much use in cooking. Ginger is good for belly troubles, cayenne is good for the heart and for any illness where the person is cold or feels cold.

Mo7

OK...it's really easy...

Slice an onion (half slices if it's a child)

Put on an old tshirt

Place onions over chest on top of tshirt

Put towel, cloth diaper, or something similar on top of onions

Put heating pad on low on top of towel

Sit until gunk starts loosening up.

You probably want to sit about 10 minutes after you start coughing if you can, because the coughing itself will also help loosen stuff up, once it gets productive.

I have used this on a child as young as 10 mos old with success. Held them the entire time so I could monitor the heat and the coughing. Useful with a smaller child is to use a bulb syringe to help them bring the gunk up.

Will often make the nose run, so it's also effective if they are really stuffed up (if more than one someone is stuffed up I just put onions and garlic in water and simmer for awhile).

It's excellent for when you're hesitant to give medicine, such as for smaller children or pregnant/nursing moms.

I'm on an inhaler and often this works better than the inhaler if my bronchitis is bad.

Mo7

Originally Posted By: ndbeckner1
Thank you for you input. I am wanting to be able to have herbs to take care of mostly colds/flu, stomach ailments,bronchitis(my daughter gets that sometimes. .... If you were to pick 4 of the most important herbs to have on hand, what would they be?

Peppermint! for sick tummy likes damp soil and won't stop once it gets started. Usually grown in a pot for containment.. it helps.
I have growing in a glass of water in my window.

Horehound....made into candy used for coughs, will grow anywhere is a weed in the desert, grow like catnip

Poppies ... all poppies have opium in them to one degree or another. but plant and use as tea.

purple cone flower - immune builder

Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, and Thyme!!!

to open bronchial passages... I have planted a poison plant called jimson.. it is my choice, I do not recommend this for anyone! I do not recommend any of the above mentioned herbs for anything.. just mentioning some of the things I grow.

some things I purchase dried in bulk by the pound. I package it in 2-4 ounce vacuumed sealed bags. I have geletain capsules, a grinder, a capsulator to help fill the capslues...

I use livestock meds... read the last part of the kidney stone..
10 days on FishMox (amoxicillian for fish) and I didn't die! not recommending that anyone else do this!

as a matter of fact... forgot what you just read! I am leaving this so I have 1 more post to my total! ( so HA!! AH! )

Just a warning, The onion poultice works great but can burn the skin on a sensitive individual. Watch it closely.

((( )))

Well I got a bit of a start today. I got three aloe vera plants for .25. I am going to get some peppermint tonight, as well as potting soil. I am thinking also of oregano and rosemary. Still thinking about the others. Thanks for all the info. If you guys think of anything else, let me know. Oh! anyone know what you woul injest aloe for? I have seen where people drink this stuff and was jusr curious as to why.

Archived