MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Taste test: Dry powdered milk and eggs

What is your favorite brand of dry milk and egg powder, in terms of taste/long shelf-life?

When reconstituted, which brand(s) do you find to taste most like fresh milk and eggs?

I know nothing is quite as good as the real thing, but....but...there's some really raunchy stuff Out There! Have you found a half-way acceptable substitute?

I think it is called Milkman but I can not find it in my area since we have moved. I used Carnation if we are going to drink it but store brand to make my bread and cook with. If I run out of Carnation brand then I will make up the store brand a little richer (meaning I use a little more powder than what is called for)the guys still don't like it but will drink it when they know payday is near and they will have fresh milk soon.

Haven't tried powdered eggs so I can't help you there.

Well...I was getting very anxious about Aaron leaving for the Academy. No more help going to the grocery store...Just me and these chicks, one of which is sheer crazy, the rest just sheer naughty. I decided I was gonna try powdered milk or we were drinking none. I went to Aldi's and bought several boxes, since I keep hearing their milk is so good. I mixed up a gallon, the night before, so it would be good and cold...Well my chicks LOVE it! They ASK For it, BEG for it!

My children may like this milk, because once I weaned them, I put them right on skim milk. Don't know if they were used to a milk with more fat, if they would quite be begging for powdered milk. They call whole milk, heart attack milk...Yeah...They are a bit brain washed!

Now I am experimenting with the salads. My sister wraps Romaine lettuce in paper towels and says it lasts weeks this way. I wet some of those thin, but spongy, yellow dish clothes Sams sells, and used them to wrap up 8 bunches of Romaine, then put them into plastic, zip lock bags....It has been fresh over a week now. I am also planting my winter garden,so hopefully I'll get some out of there...If these ideas don't work...We aren't having salad...NOPE!

I bought powdered eggs from two sources, Honeyville Foods and I think....The Egg Store. I haven't used any and don't plan to, unless we are in an emergency...If that is all we have, then that is all we will use...Hmmmm...Unless we run out of fresh eggs and I have to take these rotton chicks into a grocery store....Good things eggs keep long enough for Aaron to come home and help me harness these chicks long enough to make it through the egg department.

Personally, I think the both the whole and lowfat parmalat shelf stable milk is the closest thing I've come to fresh; There is also a whole milk powder that's made by Nestle; it's in the ethnic food section (Hispanic foods) I think it's better because it's whole milk powder rather than the nonfat. My mother likes the Sanalac brand of nonfat the best, but it's hard to find. We don't have Aldi's in my area, regretfully; I'd love to be able to try that...Pretty much a consensus of everyone is that it's got to be well chilled. As you say, mix it up richer or mix it half and half with fresh milk to stretch it...

I've got a theory about breastfed kids not caring for milk after weaning; only one of my four is a milk drinker now and I nursed them all...I think it's the sweetness factor rather than the fat content, actually. Human milk is quite a bit more naturally sweet, so if a particular brand of powdered milk is a little sweeter; well, it may make it more appealing to very young children in particular. Perhaps sweetening it a bit yourself would help some?

So far as eggs go; I've never had any experience with the powdered ones, so I can't help out any there.

Sources for this: Wal Mart and Sam's Club.

Originally Posted By: Abigail

There is also a whole milk powder that's made by Nestle; it's in the ethnic food section (Hispanic foods) I think it's better because it's whole milk powder rather than the nonfat.

I found some of that recently, and it is called Nido (by Nestle). I really like it, plus it is great in coffee!

I had forgotten about the Parmalat, it is pretty good too.

About your theory...'tis probably true, because YOU'RE so sweet, Abi!

Nestle also makes a canned table cream, which is sold in the Hispanic dept. It is about $1.30 for an 8oz. can, I think. It is not as white as cream in the dairy case and has a slightly clotted appearance, but it works great for cooking, especially for making cream soups or desserts a bit more creamy and richer tasting. The can is about the size of a condensed milk can and has a blue and white label. I have lots of cans in my preps.

Archived