MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Joint pain

Mother

I've been asked to make some suggetions for joint pain. I thought maybe there were others who might be interested also and posting it publicly will allow others to add their expertise. Please remember, these are only some ideas and things that work for others, not a prescription. (Had to add that you know:) )

It's hard to know what to suggest for joint pain because it depends on the cause of the pain. Anything from injury to wear in the joints to diseases like reumatic and lymes, to diet and etc. can cause joint pain.

Sometimes it's allergy related and certain foods can cause a flare. Nightshade plants like tomato, potato, peppers and eggplant can cause problems. I've read that Motrin is also a derivative of nightshade, so that should be considered, as is tobacco. Almost any food or chemical can be a causative factor. Some people have found artificial sweeteners and MSG and its precursers a problem. Adopting a highly nutritious diet is helpful.

The tried and true suggestion for joint problems is of course Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Even my back surgeon suggested it for my inoperable spinal problems. There has been some evidence that men with a high risk of prostrate cancer shouldn't use the Chondroitin sulfate though. The sulfate form is found in shark cartilage.

Omega-3 flax or fish oil can be helpful for reducing inflamation as can Quercetin and Bromelain.

Anti-oxidents such as vitamin C, CoQ10, grapeseed and vitamin E can help regenerte cartilage and with immunity.

Arnica gel and creams, Boswellin cream, Capsaicin cream or cayenne/ginger compresses can relieve pain as can aloe vera gel and devils claw extract.

HIgh doses of asirin, NSAIDS and cortisone can hamper the body's ability to build bone strength and should be used as little as possible.

Sometimes dealing with Joint pain is more than just taking one herb or rubbing on a cream. Those things can help but true help comes only from finding the 'real' cause and working to heal that also.

Hope something here helps a little. I know from experience that joint pain is difficult to live with.

bighug

In my experience joint pain is sometimes caused by poor bowel function this can be treated by using the Ultimate Cleanse (1 time) to rid your body of toxins, then use the MSM taken with vitamin C. You can keep the toxins out fof your system with 30 mg of grapeseed extract per 100# of body weight. It will be necessary to watch your consumption of red meat and animal fat and stay on a good healthy diet. Also adding Essential Fatty acids to your diet, such as flax oil or fish oil, and virgin olive oil is necessary for lubrication of joints.

I get the Ultimate cleanse from Swanson's About $16

I had never thought that bowel problems could be related to joint pain. I suppose it makes sense, but didn't think of it. I need to do something about my joints my self. I am starting to find the knees just aren't working as they are suppose to be.

I have terrible joint pain associated with Sjogren's Syndrome, a disease that attacks the moisture-producing membranes in the body. (dry mouth, dry eyes, dry joints...) I find that I am high functioning when I regularly take flax seed oil, CoEnzymeQ10, and a multi-vitamin with calcium. For the pain, I take Aleve. My pain is caused by inflammation due to the disease so the Aleve takes that down. Also, for me, Aleve is one over the counter non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that does not contain corn products, to which I am allergic!

Has anybody tried that "Head on" line of products with the annoying commercials? They make a version of that stuff for joints.

I never thought about joint pain. However lately one of my knees is extremely painful and I cant for the life of me figure out why. I am fairly active but havent been hurt in anyway I can think of but I have also never had this problem before. Im only 31 so it kind of concerns me as to what could be causing it.

Atleast now I have some options to think about. Thank you Mother.

bighug

Originally Posted By: JCK88

Has anybody tried that "Head on" line of products with the annoying commercials? They make a version of that stuff for joints.

I have tried the headache version of this and I dont know why it works but it does for me sometimes. It takes enough pain away from the really bad migraines to make them bearable and takes the little ones away. My problem is keeping it on hand.

Thank Mother & Lois,

I had PM'd them earlier today, hubby is having horrible knee joint pain and it is nothing but abuse on his part. He ran cross country when he was in high school & college, he took karate, play tennis, golf and football. All and all his a typical guy and he has just been rough on his body. He had one of his knees scoped about 12 years ago and they told him when he turn 55 he would probably need a knee replacement. He has 8 years to go.

He has started Vit C (we had that at home) and I am going to pick up fish oil and the Glucosamine and Grapeseed this weekend when I go do our bi-weekly shopping.

He works outside all day from 8-5 so I am pretty sure some of this is a hydration issue also.

All great ideas; would like to add another.

Apple Cider Vinegar. Add 1 teaspoon to a glass of water (along with a little honey if you want) and drink before each meal. Have used this before myself and it works pretty good to balance the cells in your body and the pH. The pH being out of whack can cause all kinds of problems. Will have to try this again! for use with several things going on right now.

Thanks for making my brain remember this old timey remedy!

Mountain Child

Ok now have him on 50 mg Grape Seed (with resveratrol, couldn't find plain grape seed)twice a day, 1000 mg Vitamin C with rose hips once a day; 1200 mg Omega-3 Fish Oil twice a day and Glucosamine Chondroitin complex twice a day. So far his only comment has been ..."Why do pills have to be so big?"

I am also taking all of the above with an added multi-vitamin. We will see if we can move easier in a week. If he is not better in two weeks I will go ahead and made him an appointment with the doctor. I had just rather do this a more "natural" way. Maybe when we get some rain we will all feel better. It is going to HOT and humid here this week I am praying this is the last week of temps in the upper 90's.

If this works will have to find a place on line to order.

Archived