MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Questions? Under 20 per day

HappyCamper45

loveplace

I've had a lot of my questions answer already, because I'm new at this I have lots more questions..

Hope it's alright to post them here... I have the newest blue book and it was well worth it.

I have canned butter which I was told here is an absolute no no no. DarleneSwoon

Well, I have 2 cases of butter I'm scared to death of... mecry

I've also made and canned corn chowder? it's made with evaporated milk...it's fantastic, but are we going to die...It was PC.

1. Can you use can evaporated milk in a recipe that is used for canning?

2. I also found out you can't use corn starch...Is that correct?

Was wondering is their a list of ingrediance that you can't use in canning?

Someone silly once told me that if you can eat it you can can it.

3. My pressure canner leaks water all over the stove when it heat up...Why? The ring is brand new, it's been used about 10 times.

4. I have canned meat following the exact directions...However some of the quart jar lost a lot of the broth...The meat is exposed...Is this still good to eat because it look nasty..

Thanks

Hi HappyCamper!

Don't can dairy...Any kind, except you can use a small amount to reduce foaming in jellies and jams.

Don't can cakes or breads in a jar, unless you eat them right away or freeze them.

Don't can summer squash...It used to be allowed, but no longer. If you can pumpkin, sweet potatoes, or winter squash..It must be done in cubes, not pureed. You can no longer can pumpkin butter, unless you freeze it also.

Can creamed corn only in pints. You can safely can, peeled, cubed white potatoes. Can chili con carne, with beans, in only pint sized jars.

It is best to always pressure can your tomatoes, actually all veggies, except those that you are pickling. Pickles, jellies, pie fillings, jams, preserves etc., can be water bathed. Applesauce can be either pressure canned or WB. I also pressure can my salsas, just to be extra safe. My extension agent recommended that and also that salsas only be canned in pints or smaller.

Don't use any thickener, in canning except for Regular Clear Jel.

Don't use flour, tapioca, or cornstarch. If you need some Clear Jel, I can pick it up for you at the Mennonites and pop it into the mail.

Don't can things too thickly...If they need to be thickened, do it when you are cooking your canned foods.

Don't try every recipe that has canning in it's title. Many recipes are in cookbooks and on-line that don't follow the rules.

I joined a cooking forum on Yahoo and many recipes have flour or dairy in them.

It's your call on what you have already canned...Someone posted all the ways people break the rules and then compared the statistics on how few people actually are sickened in this country, from eating home canned foods...It is only about 50 or so. ME...I am just a chicken...Trouble follows me, so I try to be a good girl and I can't imagine making one of my chicks sick...HOWEVER...I am not throwing away all that bean stuff I left in the canner overnight. NO WAY!

I don't know why your seal is leaking...I think my Presto spits a little...Maybe the seal isn't the right size or it isn't in correctly. I had a difficult time getting my AA canner to seal up tightly, when I first started canning.

Good luck!

You can have another 20 questions now, but I probably don't know enough to answer them.

Thank you for all your answers... bouquet

I feel like a canning geek...

I saw you can can winter squash and I have a lot of it...The direction aren't all that clear.

CANNING PUMPKIN AND WINTER SQUASH

Selecting Fruit:

You'll need about 2-1/2 pounds per quart.

Pumpkin or squash should be fully mature with a hard rind and stringless flesh. Small pumpkins give the best results.

Preparation:

Wash, remove seeds, and peel. Cut flesh into 1-inch cubes. Boil 2 minutes in water. Do not mash or puree. Fill jars with cubes and Cooking liquid leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a pressure canner as follows:

Quarts:

Process 55 minutes at 12 pounds pressure.

Increase pressure to 13 pounds at altitudes over 4,000 feet.

Increase pressure to 14 pounds at altitudes over 6,000 feet.

Pints:

Process 55 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

Increase pressure to 15 pounds at altitudes over 1,000 feet.

What is the cooking liquid...Do I add any salt...

You could use a sugar syrup, if you want them extra sweet. Probably even orange juice. I would just cover with boiling water and add 1 tsp. canning salt per quart or 1/2 tsp. per pint, then decide what to do with them, when I was cooking them. The salt is optional. Make sure you use canning salt. I'm going to try and can some this week too. I have 11, five gallon buckets full of them, that I need to do something with. They are my chicks' favorite. Go figure...They love the hardest things to prepare and I mean that literally. I'm gonna take them outside and let these kids bomb the sidewalk with them, to crack the things open.

Also, most foods with oil cannot be safely canned. There are some that have a small amount for sauteing vegetables in and a few, safe, tested ones that are highly acidified and pickled.

No bacon in green beans for the same reason. Fats and oils surround the particles of food and botulism spores can survive, even in a pressure canner.

Mom11 has given you good sound advice. No butter, milk, cheese, eggs, etc. No thickeners other that Clear jel in pie fillings and pectin for jams. Clear Jel is not safe to add to tomato products or any low acid foods before canning.

Do not thicken soups before canning.

The cooking liquid in the winter squash/pumpkins is the water you boil them in for the 2 min. I would not add salt if you plan on making pies out of them later.

Mom 11 I just did 7 quarts and although the hard to peel and cut I found them the easiest thing I've canned so far...I just used the juice I blanched them in...

Thanks....4 squash did 7 quarts.

Can anyone tell me how to dry seed properly?...Thanks

Archived