MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

chicken bones

dogmom4

Someone talked about canning chicken bones left over for use in dog food (HS mom or westie?). Have you tried it and does it make the bones safe for dogs to digest? I have a huge bag in the freezer leftover from making chicken soup and I'd like to find a use for them. Also, there is some of the skin in there too. Can I can this safely with the bones?

Stacy

Someone might be more familiar with what you're talking about, all I know that is many people pressure COOK the bones to reduce them to mush, and then use them in dog food...

We'll see what everyone else says.

I threw everything in my pressure canner!!!! I used it as a COOKER! I pressure cook the bones until they turn to mush. Not only chicken bones, but other bones too.

Some will not get mushy, just fish them out. You have created a bone meal. You can cook bones in the crock pot for days to get them soft enough to mix with grains and vegetables (pressure cooking is much faster).

I feed raw bones to my dogs. As long as they aren't cooked there is no problems feeding raw meaty bones.

And don't forget those chicken feet!!!! chicken feet make a great and flavorful broth!!

Westie, once you've made that 'bone meal,' how can/do you store it? I currently can a meat and vegetable mixture for my dog. When I open a jar, I add grains. I'd like to be able to add calcium to his mixture. That would go a long way to decreasing our dependance on commercial kibble.

Another question? Do you add water or just put bones in it? Sorry if I keep asking so many questions...I just need it really laid out for me so i don't blow anything up... smile

Stacy

put water in pot, throw in bones, old vegetables from the bottom of the freezer.. and while you are at it anything else old from the bottom of the freezer.

I usually cook a couple of hours. Sure you can can it but it needs to be more liquid then solid. Use the water to add oatmeal, rice, wheat, beans or or other grains and legumes. Add left over grease (bacon, chicken, pork, etc), bring to a boil, cool and give to dogs.

Tonights dog dinner...

I cooked a pork roast. I cut the meat off the bone in slices and what ever was left on the bone I threw into a crock pot. I added old vegetables I forgot (did a freezer cleaning), potatoes, celery. I cooked if to a couple of days. The bone got soft enough that most of it turned to mush. The rest of the bone I threw away because tonight was dinner night!

I added some left over rice from last nights dinner (about 2 cups, I cooked 5 cups of rice) then I added another cup of uncooked rice, oatmeal, wheat, and had a handful of pancake mix in a bag.. threw that in too.

I cooked it up in the crock pot for about half hour, turned it off and let it continue to cook. I got out 7 bowls (stainless steel stock pots I use for the dogs... thrift stores, garage sales) and put in the left over grease I had saved. Ladled it into the pots, mixed it up.. continued to let it cool by adding a cup or two of water... set down for the dogs to eat.

It could have been canned before I added all the grain to thicken it and give it substance. It was soup.

Girls.. you are using left over everything to make a soup. The chicken bones are hallow and soften quickly under pressure or in a couple of days in a crock pot.

another way is to get a really good grinder that can grind bones into meal.

Calcium? save egg shells. You can put them in the oven for a few days, don't turn it on. They will dry out. grind into powder and add or boil the shells and use the water.

All of this can be poured over canned dog food (commercial) or dry food.

HSmom... with 7 dogs all extra large in size.. there is isn't much in the way of left overs.

the dogs eat carrots, apples, watermelon, pickles, hot peppers, lettuce

In a SHTF situation, I will be using wheat, rice, beans and beef flavoring, along with canned vegetables.

Don't forget... with this kind of diet, pumpkin! pumpkin helps keep things moving in the gut. Dogs do get constipated, pumpkin is a great source of fiber.

I also feed raw. This is why you raise rabbits! I give the entire rabbit to the dogs. They need what is in the gut also and they love the heads... I know yuck!

Good information Westie. thanks

I do sometimes add ground egg shell to his food. When I give him a whole hard-boiled egg, he eats the shell. However, if I home-can his food with ground egg shell in it, I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as human food, should the very dire need arise. But I like the mushy-bone idea. smile

Carrots also help keep the gut moving. My guy likes chewing on/eating raw carrots. Yesterday I threw an apple core in his bowl, along with the soaked kibble and homemade. He ate it. cool

I have no problems eating ground egg shells. If ground into a fine powder, it can be put in mashed potatoes, gravy, meatloaf and etc.

if may become necessary to up the calcium in our families diet.. just put that in the back of your mind for a time when you may need it.

I just finished a piece of watermelon.. gave the rind (split up) to the dogs. they like it.

I have my crockpot going since yesterday with the bones and other leftovers that needed to be tossed. Put a little bit on top of Abby's kibble and now she keeps walking by the crockpot and sniffing it. smile

Stacy

I don't think I'd have a problem incorporating ground egg shells into our diet either, especially SHTF & may be a good idea to start now, for "practise." I do have a question about it though, west. If I were to dry them, how long will they be good for? Are they shelf stable or would I need to freeze them? Do I need to ground them immediately or can I just leave them intact (cracked of course, but YKWIM) & ground as needed. How much ca is in each shell. OK that was more than "a" question.

I've been refeeding egg shells to my poultry for a few years. I've never worried about shelf stability. shrug Guess if I was gonna eat them myself, I might. smile

Here's what I do: I keep a container for shells. In my case, it's a plastic yogurt quart on the windowsill. When we peel hard-boiled eggs, we peel right into that container. When I crack fresh eggs, I set the shells into the container, taking care not to stack the two halves; I want them to dry. After a few days, they will be dry and I crush them. Don't laugh: I just use a bottle of sunscreen. lol It was handy on the kitchen counter and is the right size to be a pestle to my plastic mortor. Take the sunscreen bottle and stomp stomp in the yogurt container. That doesn't crush them enought to hide them in human food, but it compacts them so that a LOT will fit in.

I believe that egg shells are almost entirely calcium, with a few other minerals in small amounts. As far as shelf stability, you might want to wash them of any egg innard residue. But the shells themselves, being primarily mineral, should last near to forever.

THNX! I was thinking I should peel the membrane.

I found this on wiki:

Quote:
An egg is a body consisting of an ovum surrounded by layers of membranes and an outer casing of some type, which acts to nourish and protect a developing embryo. Most edible eggs, including bird eggs and turtle eggs, consist of a protective, oval eggshell, the albumen (egg white), the vitellus (egg yolk), and various thin membranes. Every part is edible, although the eggshell is generally discarded. Nutritionally, eggs are considered a good source of protein and choline.

I've given egg shell back to our ducks/geese also. Most of the time I toast them just a bit....let me repeat that: JUST A BIT. If you leave them too long....you will remember to never do it again. Peeeeuuuuuew!

For the final fine grind, I use a marble mortar/pestle (am I spelling tonite??)

I have also tossed some into garden rows when I plant. Not sure how much leaches out to nurish the soil but after years of saving egg shells, I've got plenty.

But....I'd never even thot of using them for human supplement. Think I'd boil them first cuz I've never washes the goo outta them before drying. shrug

Interesting applications for something most of us have in abundance.

MtRider duck

hard boiling eggs? the water is filled with calcium.

the lining of an egg shell.... when I get a bite.. I strip the lining of an egg shell out and place it on the bite. It dries and draws the poison out.

next time you crack an egg... peel the inner lining out.. place it on your arm.. let dry.. see for yourself.

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider
I've given egg shell back to our ducks/geese also. Most of the time I toast them just a bit....let me repeat that: JUST A BIT. If you leave them too long....you will remember to never do it again. Peeeeuuuuuew!
No kidding! It's awful!
LOL

just throw the shells in the oven on a cookie sheet. the gas pilot will do the job. I have an electric oven and just having them in the oven with out a pilot works fine. A couple of days they are dried out.

After a couple of days on low in the crockpot I fished out the bigger chicken bones and ran it all through a tomato press I found at a garage sale for a couple bucks. I need to get a grinder.... It made 20 one cup servings. Not too bad considering it was all leftovers. It is all bagged and in the freezer. Gave some to Abby...she wolfed it down and was looking for more...even the cats liked it...

Stacy

• 7 months later...

Archived