MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

YUK!!!! How do you

I didn't set out to make a soup ----I didn't know what it would be. The dry stuff is a mixture of rice, beans, lentils and barley, that I had made up per insturctions to have on hand as a

survival food. Two cups was to feed two people for two days.

All I added was water and beef boullion. My dh doesn't like homemade beans or lentils and of course that is all he could smell. I could probably toss in some vegetable, onions, more beef broth ect. but wanted to see what the base was. ie for a SHTF senario. YUK! I suppose if you are hungry enough it would be palatable.

If any one would like the "dry mix" quantities I will look em up and post.

That sounds very bland. I would add dried minced onions, liberally. They are also prep-friendly. I would also use lots of herbs and spices...whatever you like. Again, prep friendly.

That said, the basic problem is that your dh "doesn't like homemade beans or lentils." I would start with more 'store-bought-like" recipes to get him accustommed to beans. And personally, I'd give up on the lentils. They're yucky, IMO.

My belief is to "Eat what you store, store what you eat."

For truly desperate situations, I've purchased Mainstay rations from Emergency Essentials ( www.beprepared.com )

That recipe linked to has no beans or lentils at all. I'd look for a different recipe.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Broth

Scotch broth is a filling soup, originating in Scotland but now obtainable world wide. Its principal ingredients are usually barley, a cut of beef or lamb, and vegetables such as carrots, turnips or swedes, cabbage and leeks. The proportions and ingredients can vary according to the recipe. Dried peas, split peas, and lentils are often added.

As it takes a long time to cook properly, it is often sold ready-prepared in cans. However, as with most soups, the fresh article is much superior, and preparation and cooking time can be massively reduced by using a pressure cooker. In the latter case, if adding dried legumes, it is important to avoid using too many as they can foam and clog the pressure relief valves.

[edit] Victorian recipe

From the 1881 Household Cyclopedia (U.S. units of measure):

Sot on the fire 4 ounces of pearl barley, with 6 quarts of salt water. When it boils skim it, and add what quantity of salt beef or fresh brisket you choose, and a marrow-bone or a fowl, with 2 pounds of either lean beef or mutton, and a good quantity of leeks, cabbages, or savoy, or you may use turnips, onions, and grated carrots; keep it boiling for at least 4 or 5 hours, but, if a fowl be used, let it not be put in till just time enough to bring it to table when well done, for it must be served separately.

I packaged the "crewl gruel" into smaller portions to add to much more flavorful soups or casseroles. I surely did make the stuff bland to see what the base would be like without "extras" that may not be available in hard times. I do, howerver, have dehydrated vegetables, onions, meat etc. on hand as well as plenty of spices. I'll get this man turned around without him even realizing it.

The mix, as I made it, was in fact like a gruel. The rice cooked too much before the beans and lentils. Using a tomato base liquid would have greatly improved the taste IMO.

OOps! Sorry!

Here's an authentic recipe...

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/scotchbroth.htm

Scotch Broth Soup Ingredients:

1kg neck of mutton or lamb (my mum sometimes uses chicken)

75g pearl barley

1 large onion

75g split peas or fresh peas

1 large leek

3 wee neeps (turnip)

1 swede

water depending on thickness required - try 2.5 litres

3 carrots

2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley

salt and pepper

small cabbage (optional)

1. Pre soak the barley and split peas

2. Chop all the vegetables

3. Melt a wee bit of lard/cooking oil and add the chopped onion. Once softened add the water and meat (you can just add stock rather than boil meat) and boil, skimming off any fatty deposits from the top.

4. After boiling for about half an hour add the barley and peas and simmer for another 30 minutes.

5. Add the remaining vegetables.

6. If used, remove the bone and strip off the meat and return this to the pot.

7. Give the dog the bone once it's cooled!

8. Add parsley before serving. Great with warmed bread rolls.

9. If making a big pot full it'll keep out provided you boil and stir each day.

I have retrived the recipe for the "Scotch Broth Mix" from

Time Bomb 2000.

This makes a 16 pound batch, or a one month supply for two people. You will need a large container to mix it up in.

Scotch Broth Mix

8 lbs rice

2 lbs red beans

2 lbs barley

2 lbs lentils

1 lb split peas

1 lb chick peas

Use two cups for two people/two day servings.

I added my bland cooked mixture to some tomatoe soup with lots of oregano and onions today, and dh didn't bat an eye. He had two large bowls full!!!!

This is a recipe from Jesse .Scroll down on her website, there is a lot more info on this recipe.

Evening all! smile

TEN YEAR SCOTCH BROTH MIX.

You'll need a large and long container, - we use the Rubbermaid ones which are approx. 4ft x 2 ft long. This will allow you to make up *batches* of 165lbs of soup mix at a time, which you then package in Mylar Bags w/oxygen absorbers, heat seal (we have a steam iron and a plank of wood 36" x 20" which we just smooth the bag out across and iron shut for a vacuum seal) and store in smaller Rubbermaid containers which each take the 165lbs you'll be packaging. The ones we use say they will hold 26 gallons (volume) and they cost about $6 each here. Not much more than a cardboard box from U-Haul.

You'll need to make it in 12 batches, - it's hard work to mix.

For each batch you'll need...

4 x 22lb (or 10kg) rice. (Any kind will do).

2 x 11lb (or 5kg) kidney beans

2 x 11lb (or 5kg) barley

2 x 11lb (or 5kg) lentils (yellow)

1 x 5.5lb(or 5kg) green split peas

1 x 5.5lb(or 5 kg)chick peas

Method:

Put in two bags of rice to mixing container

Then add each of the other ingredients 5kg at a time, mixing as you go. (Use surgical gloves or you'll have no nails left, LOL!).

When you have all the other ingredients mixed in with the first two bags of rice, add the last two bags of rice and *REALLY* mix well or you'll get all rice on the bottom of your mixture.

Then take 3 *large size* Mylar Bags www.sorbentsystems.com/products.html and start scooping in mixture. We just use a 2 quart juice jug for a scoop. When you have it 2/3rds filled, add 2 oxygen absorbers and put plank over the mixing container and then spread the Mylar Bag tops over the plank and seal with a HOT steam iron. You should have a 3" seal at least. The mixture will fit nicely into the 3 Mylar Bags and we usually fill them and then seal them all at once so we can get the best seal possible. Then place Mylar bags into your 26 gallon container, label, and put lid on tightly. These are Rodent Proof and can be stacked three high. They should be kept in a cold dark place and they will keep for 20 years at least stored this way.

MAKING SOUP.

Take 16oz of the dry mixture and put in about 6-7 quarts of water (with a nut of butter or a tsp. of olive oil to prevent soup boiling over) and add 3 tblspns (or to taste) of powdered soup stock. We like to use chicken stock.

Then add any veggies, meat, & seasoning you like (if available). (We like to also put in lots of garlic) (DO NOT USE ONIONS - they'll spoil the mixture).

Bring to a boil and let simmer for two hours and you have enough soup for two days for 4 people.

On the second day you'll need to add some more water (it thickens in the fridge overnight) and another tblspn stock. Make sure to boil for at least 10 minutes the second day to kill off any potential bacteria, - especially if you are not storing in fridge, but just in a root cellar or like that in the event of no electricity in summer.

We make our own bread and have a thick slice fer dunkin' with a large bowl of this delicious soup and it serves as a main meal. You are FULL after just one (large size) bowl of this stuff.

Kids will usually only be able to eat half a bowl w/bread, or a small bowl, whichever you prefer. Adults will likely want a nice big bowl.

If there is any mixture left on the third day, just add the new mixture to it. You will need less of course, but you'll get to know how to gauge things as you go along catering to the requirements of your own little family.

If you make up one batch at a time, it'll cost you approx. $125 for all the ingredients, including 3 x 10lb canisters of powdered soup stock. (One for each Mylar Bag). That's very doable I think, and in no time you'll have your 12 batches or 1,980lbs of soup mix. (Do it over 12 pay-days, and if you are paid weekly, - you'll have your 10-year-supply in just 3 months).

We saved up and bought ours all at once and just took a weekend to get it over with, - the packaging I mean. I get my Rubbermaid containers from Wal-Mart, both the long ones for mixing, and the small ones.

If you are going to store your soup mix in a garage, you might want to get those rolling Rubbermaid Garbage cans and use these instead of the 26 gallon containers. They have locking lids, can be wheeled around and are water and Rodent Proof. Only RUBBERMAID products *guarantee* that they are Rodent Proof, so I rarely buy anything else. The Rubbermaid Garbage cans are twice as expensive as the 26 gallon containers, and can't be stacked, but if you have a lot of room in your garage and don't like lifting, they may be the best choice for you. Remember, - either way, you'll have 12 containers with 165lbs of soup mix in each.

Stored in cold storage, they don't need to be rotated. If they are stored at room temperature, you will want to slowly rotate them over a 10-year period.

Hope this helps!

In the love and peace of Christ, - Jesse.

Archived