MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Did some batch cooking *AKA* OAMC

I now have:

5 meatloaves

2 batches chili

2 batches chicken creole

2 batches sloppy joes

23 brek sarnis (*buurrpp* I ate the 24th one)

filling for brek burritos (I forgot the friggin' tortillas *sigh*)

1 batch meatballs

4 cups meat mix

I think that's everything.

I also have a pan going of shrimp & turkey stock going. YUM!

First, what's a brek???

Second, wow!!! That's a lot of cooking. Was that in a day, weekend, all at once?

I made a big batch of chicken broth the other day. First time I've ever made broth, so we started with legs & thighs and veggies. For the first batch, I didn't want to go from leftovers. Next time will be leftovers, though. Ended up with just shy of 6 quarts. A shame we don't have that canner yet, but it freezes fine.

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
That batch cooking is really cool, I need to do some myself.
Girl you are on a roll--go girl go!!!

bananabanana I'm goin' It's my birfday (not really, but anyway! rofl)

Well since you are going come to my house and do my OAMC PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE. I just have to go grocery shopping and cook. The hard part is already done...the menu DarleneSwoon

Wow! That is alot of cooking hun! I am not that energetic. I do however make a meal and then double or triple it. So basically I get 2-3 weeks of cooking out of 1 weeks worth of work. I dont think I could get that done all in one day.

Mind sharing a couple of your recipes? Like the creole and the meatballs? Pwwweeeaasssee smile

I'll need to type them up. I found them in a book from the library. It's called Frozen Assets, by Deborah Taylor-Hough. Most of the books have a bazillion ingredients per recipe, but this one has the EASIEST recipes in it!! And of all the ones I tasted today- the meatloaf is my permanent meatloaf recipe from now on! YUMMY! The only thing I wasn't big on was the sloppy joes recipe, but we'll eat the 2 batches & I'll prolly never make it again (unless they love it, then I'll have something else on those nights).

Yeah Kayla. You go girl. I love "Frozen Assets" - great book. But alas, like jewlzm, I GIVE UP! Now that I've got the grey hair coming in, I use that as an excuse not to pull the 12 hour marathons in the kitchen. I do use several of her recipes though, but I tend to "overcook", as in triple recipes and freeze the leftovers on those 2-3 days a week that I do cook. It works for me. I'd rather spread my 18 hours worth of cooking and planning throughout the month rather than jam it into one day (Think of how tired you are after a day of canning just ONE item, and then quadruple that exhaustion after a day of OAMC)

I second jewlzm's recomendation. Good book with some really thrifty recipes as well as time-saving ideas.

awesome Kayla thanks

my favorite OAMC 'recipe' is browned, drained, seasoned burger. Bag it and go!

I had an enchillada meat recipe that froze really well Kayla if you want it.

Thanks again for sharing,

Sue

Archived