MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making Bread Tutorial

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I had to do some looking but, I did find the recipe I had put in some time ago on here on page 21 right now, and will go to page 22 soon. smile

Bread

½ cup luke warm water

1 tsp sugar

2 pkg. yeast

Mix in bowl and set aside

In a large bowl, put,

½ cup sugar

2 tsp salt

½ cup shortening

2 ½ cups HOT water

Mix well and add 5 cups of flour. Stir this in well and add the yeast mixture. Add 4 cups more flour, one cup at a time and mixing well between cups. It might take a bit more than the 4 cups, but not a lot. Kneed and let raise to double the size.

I use the Large Mix and Fix Tupperware Bowl, I think that is what it is called, it should take about 1 hour. Then punch down and let raise again. Put into the pans, loaf, or muffin tins. Let rise about an hour and then bake until golden brown. Loaf will take about 35 - 45 minutes at 350º and Buns about 15 - 20 minutes at 350º

I do have Buns at 425º for abut 15 minutes, but usually stay on 350º.

This is the recipe that my mother gave me when I first got married, or maybe before that even.

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

This is the recipe I use everytime I make bread.. The steps in the tutorial are pretty basic. Since I can't seem to bring up any of our old threads on bread making I'll post my recipe again...

2 Cups Hot tap water

3 T yeast

2/3 c. sugar

2 t salt

1/4 c. oil

5-6 c. bread flour

put hot water in a bowl, dissolve sugar and salt, sprinkle yeast on top, cover, let sit til bubbly. about 20 mins. Add oil, then flour, 1 C at a time. Knead 3-4 mins and let rest 15 mins.

Knead 1 more time and put into a greased bowl turning to grease other side.

cover w/ clean tea towel. let rise til doubled. punch down and divide in 2 equal parts. form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans,

oil tops cover and let rise 1 hr.(covered) bake in a preheated 325 oven for 30 mins.

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
Im working on a bread tutorial with pictures and step by step instructions like we did for canning last summer (Buttercups idea) I will put it in a different thread once I get it all put together.

star Yes!! thanks That's going to make it SO much easier!!
Can't wait to see it.
Originally Posted By: jewlzm
Im working on a bread tutorial with pictures and step by step instructions like we did for canning last summer (Buttercups idea) I will put it in a different thread once I get it all put together.

You go girl! Maybe tomorrow I'll do the same.. I don't have a mixer and it might be nice to see it done both ways.

So what do you all think of the step by steps? Did they help you out at all? There probably could of been more pictures on my part of the kneading process. I think that's the step that everyone stumbles over.

Jewlz! Great Job! I copied down your whole wheat recipe to try out this weekend!

This is great thank you so much, I just use my bread machine, but want to make it by hand too sometime. I love my bread machine, it is so easy. I can through the ingedients together for white bread ( for DH and DS) in 7 minutes start to finish. Feels like I'm cheating, it is so easy.

The pictures are awsome. I love the step by step instructions...

Can't wait to try tomarrow. I'm a messy baker/cook so pictures would be imbarrasing but I may just take a picture of end result just to show you that your hard work isn't for nothing...

I really am trying to learn and appreciate all your hard work in putting instructions down for us.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I just tried this, the loaves are in the pan to rise before baking. I was surprised at how simple it was - so to see how it turns out. :)

This is the recipe I use everytime I make bread.. The steps in the tutorial are pretty basic. Since I can't seem to bring up any of our old threads on bread making I'll post my recipe again...

2 Cups Hot tap water

3 T yeast

2/3 c. sugar

2 t salt

1/4 c. oil

5-6 c. bread flour

put hot water in a bowl, dissolve sugar and salt, sprinkle yeast on top, cover, let sit til bubbly. about 20 mins. Add oil, then flour, 1 C at a time. Knead 3-4 mins and let rest 15 mins.

Knead 1 more time and put into a greased bowl turning to grease other side.

cover w/ clean tea towel. let rise til doubled. punch down and divide in 2 equal parts. form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans,

oil tops cover and let rise 1 hr.(covered) bake in a preheated 325 oven for 30 mins.

Archived