MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

No knead Dutch Oven Bread

Screaming Eagle

I haven't personally tried this recipe but it sounds good and simple. Enjoy.

No Knead, Dutch Oven Bread

1/4 tsp active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting. You may use white, whole wheat or a combination of the two.

1 1/2 tsp salt

Cornmeal or wheat bran for dusting

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the flour and salt, stirring until blended. The dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at least 8 hours, preferably 12 to 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it. Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or to your fingers, gently shape it into a ball. Generously coat a clean dish towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal. Put the seam side of the dough down on the towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another towel and let rise for about 1 to 2 hours. When it’s ready, the dough will have doubled in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least 20 minutes before the dough is ready, heat oven to 475 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in the oven as it heats. When the dough is ready, carefully remove the pot from the oven and lift off the lid. Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up. The dough will lose its shape a bit in the process, but that’s OK. Give the pan a firm shake or two to help distribute the dough evenly, but don’t worry if it’s not perfect; it will straighten out as it bakes.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the loaf is beautifully browned. Remove the bread from the Dutch oven and let it cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.

Yield: One 1 1/2-pound loaf.

• 1 month later...

I used to make this recipe many years ago and though we liked it fine, it was more like a sour dough taste.

I found that in really hot weather it tended to get really sour smelling and I needed to let it set less time. If it's chilly in the house it takes longer. It also doesn't work as well to double the batch. I also like to add some oil or melted butter to the recipe, about two tablespoons. It makes it a bit more moist but it's not necessary for taste.

This recipe is similar to how the pioneer used to make their bread by setting a sponge the night before and then adding flour to it the next day.

If you try it let us know how you like it.

((( )))

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried it got the recipe from Back Wood Homes or Mother Earth magazine one of them. it did not cook right and did not care for it. i will try it again later

• 2 weeks later...

This recipe was GREAT! My husband told me to throw out the bread machine.

I didn't have a crock or cast iron big enough so I just used my covered turkey roaster. It worked great. I'll definitely be making this one again and again.

• 2 months later...

I am making a batch right now with flour I made by grinding wheat berries in my new hand grinder. I actually sifted the flour and got out *some* of the bran, which I used instead of cornmeal for the final rise. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I have made it before with a wheat/oat flour I get from Hodsgon's mill, and it turned out really well. I use my le creuset enameled cast-iron dutch oven and it didn't need any oil.

Originally Posted By: Tracie

I use my le creuset enameled cast-iron dutch oven and it didn't need any oil.

Watch out for your lid knob, I trashed one of mine. They came out with a new knob just for this recipe.

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/products/guid...?product_id=387

18/10 Stainless Steel Knob
Now available in our new blister card packaging, these cookware knobs will make it easy and convenient to spruce up the look of your Le Creuset cookware. The traditional Phenolic knob stays cool during stovetop use and is oven safe to 375F, while our new 18/10 stainless steel knob is highly durable and can withstand any oven temperature. Each individually packaged knob comes with a screw for easy assembly.

Specifications
Product: 18/10 Stainless Steel Knob

Stock No.: L9403-45

Thanks Vipper. I heard about that and will probably get a new knob one of these days.

Here's the bread I made yesterday/today (mixed up the dough 9pm last night, put it in the oven at 6pm today).

bread.JPG

I'm sorry - the picture got blurry when I compressed it for teh web.

That's a standard Fiestaware dinnerplate, so you get an idea of the size of the loaf. it's completely delicious.

I added about 1 TBS sugar to the dough when I first mixed it and that seems to have eliminated the sour taste I've had before (hubby loves sour taste, me - not so much). All three family members love it!

So we will definitely be making this again, grinding and all.

I have two loaves sitting out on the counter - waiting to be taken to a potluck! I also printed out 5 copies of the recipe cause I know I'm going to be asked. Isn't this stuff great?!?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I found this super easy recipe and thought I would add it:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/D...ead-Recipe.aspx

This easy-to-make beer bread recipe can be baked to perfection in a Dutch oven.

October/November 2009

By Jay Carnine

Dutch ovens are one of the most versatile cooking devices. I use one to make our family’s favorite beer bread recipe.

3 cups self-rising flour

2 tbsp sugar

1 11- or 12-ounce can or bottle of beer (any kind)

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the beer. Mix together for a bit. If you still have a few white flour streaks left, no biggie. Just don’t mix too much.

If your Dutch oven isn’t well-seasoned, wipe shortening/lard onto its surfaces. Toss the dough into the Dutch oven, put it in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This beer bread recipe never fails to impress, whether served Italian-style with red wine, or on a camp-out barbecue with cold beer and good friends.

Jay Carnine

• 2 months later...

Ladt night I did a batch with O'Douls and a batch with regular beer. We can't tell the difference. One batch was in a well oiled Pyrex loaf pan and another was in a well oiled Pyrex 8x8 baking pan. I have to say I prefer the loaf pan for aesthetic reasons. This bread can be served in place of corn bread--something to consider if someone is allergic to corn.

Archived