MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Children do NOT hear fire alarms- PLEASE read!!!

ArmyOfFive4God

I know for a fact that they don't hear smoke detectors. DH was having a moment and accidentally set a tupperware lid on a hot burner. He ran upstairs for something and heard a big "whoosh" and saw a reflection in our tv of a fire. He ran downstairs quickly and took care of the situation, but not before the smoke was super thick in the house (only took less than 30 seconds for the house to be filled!!). Smoke detectors in all the kids' rooms were blaring and not one of our three woke up!

I did some research and found that you can buy smoke detectors and fire alarms that you record your voice saying "Sally (insert your kids name here), wake up! There's a fire!" I guess they work much better.

I had a neighbor that had a fire in her kitchen, her boys were watching TV (open to the kitchen) she had gone out side for a min to the garden. The smoke alarms went off and the boys (very young) never moved, just kept watching TV. She enters back door and sees the fire and calls fire department and get children out of house. She said it was like they were in a trance.

Wow; those smoke alarms are loud enough to wake the dead, too!!

I suppose this is a lesson of just how much TV mesmerizes people. I know kids are completely zoned out when watching TV or playing video games but this is unbelievable.

Tinfoil hat time, but I've heard some talk of subliminal messages being sent with the video feed on the television. This gives a lot more credence to that theory...

Our smoke alarm goes off all the time when we broil something in the oven, and it used to go off frequently with our previous toaster oven, I remember at one point it went off at 2 or 3 in the morning and it did wake me up (I was probably in 7th or 8th grade at the time) but I ignored it for at least five minutes before I stumbled out of my room and found it was my dad just cooking something in the toaster and there was no fire. I didn't even notice smoke really either. Ours are very sensitive and they are all connected so if one of them goes off they all go off.

I had problems with my other stove, I just couldn't get the heat under control, result every time I cooked carrots I burnt them, which would trigger the firealarm; which would bring my daughter [them aged 5] running downstairs shouting DINNERS READY.

But saying this we have several alarms in the house and if I accidentally trigger them at night when she has gone to bed she will sleep through the noise.

Being a fireman, this is a very scary thing. In our training they taught us that adults are like dogs (they will run), kids are like cats (they will hide). I never thought about kids not hearing a fire alarm. Thanks for the info, I will bring this up at the next fire meeting.

Archived