MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bean Recipes

I remember this great thread, thanks for the bump.

One question, since many recipes have canned beans, what would be the conversion to use dried beans? I know I could just cook them up and measure them out. But I'd rather cook up what I need in the recipe.

I usually get about 4 cans of beans out of a pound of dried beans.

Crockpot Beans vs Canned (convenience w/o the salt)

10 c water

1 lb dried beans

Put in crock pot and cook on medium 10-12 hours. Freze in desired portions with a bit of cooking liquid. (usually 1 3/4 c beans and liquid to make 2c.)

BBQ Peas (family favorite!)

Cook 1 lb of black eyed peas. Add 1c BBQ sauce for every pound of peas and heat through. It is best made in the morning and reheated for dinner or as leftovers the next day. DH is hooked on AnJac's BBQ sauce (sold in quart mason jars) and we only use that. (expensive, but it is cheaper than eating out.)

http://www.anjacsbbq.com/products.asp?cat=8 (if you buy a bigger jar, they usually just ship several quart jars; we just pick it up when we are down that way.)

Falafel (my five-year-old begs for this)

3 c chickpeas; (2-15 ounce cans) drained well

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon dry parsley

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

2 medium eggs

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Process all. Make small walnut sized balls and deep fry, pan fry squishing as you go, or bake 450 F 20m well greased on all sides. (I usually pan fry or bake and freeze a multi-batch)

100 calorie chickpea patties

30 oz cooked drained chickpeas (1/2 pound dry)

½ c cooking liquid from chickpeas

1 ½ c oats

1 clove garlic, or equivilant substitute

Salt & pepper

Process chickpeas with liquid to paste. Process oats until powder then add all together. Shape into 12 patties . Spray pan and patties. Bake 350F 30m flipping after 15m. Freeze very well. Better in something like a salad or sandwich than stand alone.

Chickpea Couscous croquettes

2/3 c dry roasted sunflower seeds

2 c cooked chickpeas

1 c uncooked whole wheat couscous

½ c tomato juice

½ c red wine (cooking marsala is good)

3 t soy sauce

2 T Dijon mustard

2 T red balsamic vinegar

2 t dried rosemary crushed

1 t dried thyme

½ t pepper

Parsley to taste

5 cloves garlic crushed

Chop seeds and chickpeas and process to paste. Cook couscous w/ tomato juice & wine. Add all together. Process to thick paste make balls and flatten. Spray sheet and patties with grease. Bake 350F 30m. Flip after 15m. 32 small 25 calorie croquettes. Replaces falafel in recipes. Great mock cx strip. Good with a sauce as a stand alone dish.

Black Bean Cakes with chipolte cream

1 diced red bell

1/2 c sliced green onions

1/2 c corn

4 cloves minced garlic

6 t olive oil

30oz cooked black beans

1 1/2 t cumin

1/2 t cayenne

1/4 t salt

1/4 t pepper

3/4 c breadcrumbs

3 T cilantro (fresh)

2 t mayo

1 egg

cook bell pepper, onion, corn, garlic in oil over med high for 5m. cool slightly. Mash 1 1/2 c beans and add mix and remaining beans. Add spices and 1/2 c breadcrumbs along with mayo and egg. Shape into 8 patties and chill 1 hour on waxed paper. Dredge in remaining 1/4 c breadcrumbs. Cook in 2 t hot oil 5m mer side and keep warm.

Mix together 1/2 c sour cream, 2 t lime juice, 1 t minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to serve with patties.

Red beans n' rice

1 pound red beans

1 ham bone/ham hock/ salt pork

2 chopped onions

1 chopped bell pepper

3 bay leaves

2 cloves minced garlic

1 t cumin

cayenne to taste * 1/2--1t

hot sauce to taste *2T per batch

Optional: 3 stalks chopped celery & 1 diced carrot

1 lb sliced sausage, game sausage, or meat substiture

Wash and pick over beans. Cover with water and soak overnight. Rinse, drain, and add water (or stock if you have it) to 3 inches over beans. Add everything but the sausage and cook 4 hours over low heat (on the stove.) Add the sausage 20m before the beans are done. Serve over rice with a side of french bread.

cheryl

One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained

One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.

One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.

One cup dry beans = three cups cooked beans, drained.

From a place called BeanUSA

I'm making refried beans tonight from this recipe.

Quote:
I don’t really have a recipe. I just make the beans. So, here’s a narrative on how to make them. It’s really easy, so anyone can try it. But it might take some experimenting with the spices to get the flavour right.

Step 1: Empty a bag of pinto beans onto a surface (I guess a 1lb bag). Sometimes there is a pebble or two hidden among the beans. Take those out (it doesn’t feel good to bite down on one of them—believe me, I’ve done it). Rinse the beans. I usually use a colander. Then let the beans soak in a large pot overnight. Use plenty of water since the beans expand quite a bit.

Step 2: Boil beans for a couple hours. I would say boil them for about an hour or so… basically until they are soft (make sure to keep on adding water). Then it’s time to add the stuff: garlic powder, cummin, salt, pepper… chili powder if you’re feeling daring (but not too much). This is where the experimentation is required. For starters, try 2-3 Tbs of garlic, 1-2 Tbs of cummin, 2 Tbs of salt (that might be a little much), 1 Tbs of pepper, and maybe 1 Tbs of chili powder (maybe less). Then let all that boil for another hour. You want the beans so soft that they are falling apart (it makes it easier to mash them later on).

Step 3: This is also a tricky part. After the boiling is complete, you need to empty out a lot of the water… but not too much or else the beans get really dry. For starters try emptying out the water so that only the bottom half of the beans are in water. Then the mashing begins. I use a potato masher. A fork will also work if a potato masher is unavailable… but that takes a lot more work. Mash until you get sick of it. The consistency of the beans shouldn’t be uniform—that’s only what happens at food processing plants.

Step 4: Cover a very large pan with 2 Tbs (that’s a total guess—probably more) of olive oil. Saute 1-2 onions, diced. Reduce to a low heat. Add the beans to the sauted onions. Mix in 1-2 Tbs of butter. Now the re-frying begins. Don’t re-fry for too long; it tends to dry out the beans. And don’t let them burn.

I'm actually using 1 cup pinto beans, I let them soak overnight, then I added the spices and put the mini crock pot on low most of the day (started for 1 hour at high). They're nearly ready to mash and fry.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
One cup dry beans = three cups cooked beans, drained.

From a place called BeanUSA

So, 1/4 pound of dry beans should yeild 1 1/2 cups cooked beans?

Seem right to everyone? 1 can = 1/4# dry beans

laugh I love falafel mix patties. I cook them up and save them for later. Im terrible, I love to eat them, dipping pieces into ketchup, which I am sure the culture who eats them as a main staple probably would really cringe at, hehehe.

Falafel burgers made from bulk falafel ground grain mix, are very nutritious, and the patties are easy to put in a ziploc bag and use as trail food. The nutrition is quite high in falafel mix.

• 2 months later...

Sweet Bean Pudding

1 (15-ounce) can Navy or Pinto beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged Navy or Pinto beans, rinsed, drained

1 cup mashed cooked or canned sweet potatoes

1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar - divided use

2 large eggs

2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1/2 cup fat-free milk

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/8 teaspoon salt

Grated rind of 1/2 orange

2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pecans

1. Process beans, sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs in food processor or blender until smooth; add remaining ingredients, except 3 tablespoons brown sugar and pecans, and process until well blended.

2. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 1-quart casserole; sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons brown sugar and pecans.

3. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until browned and puffed, about 1 hour.

Makes 8 side dish servings (about 1/2 cup each).

Nutrient Information Per serving: Per serving: Calories 237; Fat 6g; % Calories from Fat 21; Calcium 112mg; Carbohydrate 41g; Folate 45mcg; Sodium 334mg; Protein 7g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 53mg

• 1 year later...

I have two methods for cooking beans. I never, never soak beans. They simply do not have the good taste if they are soaked. The color is off too; they look kind of grayish-brown (pintos) if soaked instead of a rich, dark brown. I really don't understand why this happens but it does even if you use the soaking water to cook them in. You would think all the "color" would still be there in the water but they get they grayish, unappetizing color anyway.

1. Pressure-cooked. I put 5 cups of rinsed beans in the pressure cooker and fill to the fill mark with hot water. Pintos take an hour, black beans 45 minutes. After the time is up, I cool under cold running water and take the lid off. I add salt and more water to the fill mark because we like soupy beans. The "soup" will be thick and rich tasting. Then I cook them a few minutes more to cook in the salt. Red beans take 1 1/2 hours and need to be put back under pressure, adding more water after the first hour is up.

2. Crock-pot. I put 6 cups of rinsed beans in the large crock-pot and add as much cold water as will fit. I cook them overnight on low. I add salt in the morning and more water if needed, this time hot water.

People at potlucks are always asking me how I cook my beans :) I had one man, ask me what I seasoned my beans with. He said they were the best beans he had ever tasted. (Here in the South "seasoning" the beans means adding some kind of meat.) I told him just salt and he couldn't believe it.

My MIL always brings her beans to a boil in the pressure cooker, then lets them set for an hour and then cooks them under pressure for a few minutes. DH does not like her beans and it never fails that after we eat there, he will tell me, "I'm so glad you don't cook your beans like that!" :)

Blessings,

Daylily

Archived