MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Diverticulitis....argh!

Vic303

Yes, I have been officially diagnosed with 'very mild' (yeah, right...mild? ) diverticulitis. I go see the GI doc next week. Meanwhile, since my regular doc's office misread the report, I was told I did NOT have diverticulitis, so 2 days ago, I decided to go ahead and eat some sunflower seeds...

That was a mistake! It's flared up as of yesterday already. Mild symptoms so far, but this is NOT FUN. I love nuts & seeds, etc. I need to do more research but guess I will be stocking up on raisins, and applesauce to boost the fiber intake. I already make 100% whole wheat bread.

At least my OBGYN was able to give me the actual report & correct diagnosis yesterday.

Anyone got any advice or recommendations on this problem?

Thanks

Vic

I have this, too, and it is no fun. Do not ignore it as I tend to do. It can be serious I found out. Running fever along with the pain is a good indication you need to see the doctor. Fiber seems to help me more than anything. I'll check out the site from Leah, thanks.

Oh, VA, I know it comes will all sorts of complications! Adhesions, perforations, abcesses, peritonitis....just to name some of the really ugly ones.

My regular doc gave me some samples of Symax, which seems to help some. Fiber is supposed to help in moving stuff along (which isn't my problem), and also supposed to help prevent the formation of the diverticuloses, by reducing 'straining'.

I'll know more/post more after my consult next week.

--Vic

I don't know much about this, but can you still get your nuts and seeds by eating nut butter and sunflower seed butter? You can still get the taste and protien without the injury couln't you?

Originally Posted By: Vic303
Anyone got any advice or recommendations on this problem?

Lots of fiber to keep everything moving smoothly (trying to be delicate here so stop laughing) and watch those spicy sausages they have seeds in them. Corn may bother you or anything small and gritty that could get stuck in the pockets in your colon is going to cause serve pain.

Go with the nut butters I know it is not like eating real thing but it will get you protein.

bighug

Diverticulitis can be really nasty. Do find out if there is a practicing naturopath in your area and if they accept insurance. There are colon cleanses you can do with colon-hydrotherapy that can calm and control diverticulitis. Usually, this is masking some other sort of illness - maybe the liver isn't processing completely, possibly your pH is out of whack, etc. Only a naturopath will know. Look for one who, if possible, also specializes with oriental medicine. Good colon health is a MUST! Gentle fiber, regular cleanses and supplements that have good bacteria in them also help.

I good site & product I use is www.drnatura.com

Also, www.appleaday.com is good for high quality vitamins, supplements, and other items. Hope this helps.

Archived