MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Turkey Jerky?

I don' thave access to my library here, but the recipe in Mary Bell's Dehydrator cookbook is REALLY good. I can't keep the stuff around when I make it. Hopefully someone can post the details, but you cook the turkey breast first, remove any fat/skin, and then slice it 1/8-1/4" thick. Then it's marinated in honey and soy suace, if memory serves, and thrown in dehydrator. stuff is SOO good. I've been known to buy a turkey just to whip up a batch.

I found these two...hope that helps. Seeing your post reminded me I needed to look for some.

Turkey Jerky

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons light soy sauce

1 1/2 cups pineapple juice

1 pound boneless turkey breast, cut into long, thin strips about 1/4 inch wide

Directions:

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the turkey and mix well. Add the turkey strips and turn them to coat evenly. Place the turkey strips and marinade in a large, zippered plastic bag, press out any air from the bag, and seal closed. Refrigerate for 24 hours, picking up the bag once or twice during that time to redistribute the marinade.

Preheat the oven to 250°F.

Remove the turkey strips from the marinade, drain well, and lay them on a wire rack placed on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake the strips, turning once, until brown and leathery, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Let cool completely, then place in a zippered plastic bag or tightly capped jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Makes about 16 strips

Turkey Jerky Recipe

From Peggy Trowbridge Filippone,

The mild flavor of turkey makes a perfect starting point for your favorite flavors in this turkey jerky recipe. It is also lower in fat than beef jerky. Feel free to adjust the spices to suit your own tastes. If you do not own a dehydrator, you can use your oven on the lowest setting and leave the oven door slightly ajar for air circulation.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke

• 2 Tablespoons soy sauce

• 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste

• 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

• 1-1/2 teaspoons mesquite flavoring liquid

• 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, packed

• 1 Tablespoon onion powder

• 2 teaspoons garlic powder

• 1 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1 pound turkey meat, sliced thin

PREPARATION:

Combine liquid smoke, soy sauce, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mesquite flavoring, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt in a large zip-top bag.

Add turkey strips to the marinade, seal, and squish to coat all the meat. Re-open the bag, squeeze out all the air, re-seal, and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.

Remove turkey strips from marinade and gently pat off excess moisture with a paper towel. Place strips in a single layer, with space in between, on dehydrator racks. Dehydrate until turkey jerky is leathery and chewy but not crisp enough to snap when bent.

Store jerky in sealed bags in the refrigerator.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So what's the word on safety of turkey jerky? Way I make it you cook the meat first, and just use the breast meat, so I think it'd be alright, but I'd like some input from the experts. Especially as I was going to give some away. Thanks!

Archived