MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade breakfast cereals

Cinnamon Toast Cereal

approx. 6 cups cubed or thin sliced squares of sourdough bread (1/4 in")

or other breads, bagels,etc.

Set aside...

Melt:

1/2 cup butter

Add:

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix with cubed bread.

In separate bowl combine:

1/4 -1/2 sugar

3 tbsp. ground cinnamon

Toss with bread cubes, spread on baking sheet and bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes. Stir once or twice to ensure even browning. Cool and store. Keeps well for several weeks.

Branflake cereal

2 c. bran

2 c. wholewheat flour

1/2 c. powdered milk

3 T. brewer's yeast (optional)

1 t. salt

1/4 c. oil

1 T. molasses

1 c. water

Combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the mixture and pour in the wet ingredients, mix well. Divide into three or four portions, and roll out each as thinly as possible on greased cookiesheets. Bake at 350°f for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp...if they're not dry at that point, leave them in the turned-off oven for awhile longer. Store airtight.

Breakfast cereal

1 teaspoon cinnamon

9 cups dried bread cubes

2 egg wites

2 tablespoons orange juice

1 cup sugar

Beat the egg whites, orange juice, cinnamon and sugar, til very frothy..almost meringue, even. Pour this over the bread cubes, and stir til mixed. Bake at 300°f (150°c, gas mark 2), on greased or lined cookie sheet(s), stirring often, for about 45 minutes, til light brown and crisp.

This is so good! And it stays crunchy in milk, too.

Thank you to the Chex Party mix website...lots of their stuff will translate into bread cubes, instead of the cereals that are impossible to get, over here.

A recipe I got from the dollar stretcher, that Hippie Dad likes. I change it up with different things (but adding honey does not work well).

-

"I have been using the following recipe for flake cereal, the only problem I have is not letting the kids eat it all before breakfast.

Flake Cereal Recipe

# 2 Cups whole wheat flour

# 1tsp. salt

# 2C. water

# 1/2C brown sugar

Mix ingredients with a spoon until the consistency of thin paint. Pour onto a greased baking sheet. Tip the sheet to cover the surface with a film, pouring the excess back into the bowl. Bake 350 degrees about 15 min. until crisp and golden. Pull off sheet and let cool before breaking into flakes.

I have found if you use a non-stick cookie tray it works great. Just when you think you have poured off too much of the batter back into the tray is when to stop. I use these as garnishes on ice cream and also on scrambled eggs served to company, just don't make flakes just break into interesting designs.

A book I live by is A Bite of Independence through self sufficiency. -KN

"

I've made this one a couple times. I really like it, but it is a bit harder than store bought Grape-Nuts.

Grape Nuts

* 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour

* 1 c. brown sugar

* 1 t. salt

* 1 t. baking soda

* 1 t. cinnamon (optional, I usually don’t add the cinnamon)

* 2 c. sour milk or buttermilk (you can make milk sour by adding a T. of vinegar to it)

* 2 t. vanilla

Mix thoroughly and pour into a greased jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides). Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool completely. At this point, this looks and smells like cake. Once the cake is cooled completely, cut it into pieces and whirl it into crumbs in the food processor. Don’t process too long because you don’t want it to get gummy. Spread this crumbly mixture into two jelly roll pans. Bake at 300° for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the grape nuts in the pan in the oven overnight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think my family thinks i'm crazy :-)

I tried the flake cereal recipe. My first attempt turned out very dough-like, so i assumed I put too thick of a layer on the cookie sheet, on the 2nd batch the outer edges burned to the bottom, but the middle didn't, it wasn't dough-like but wasn't crispy either. My 3rd attempt came out almost perfect, except it wasn't crispy. However, the bottom didn't stick. It came out sort of like when you put glue on your hand and wait til it dries then pull it off (best example i can think of!). I also moved my oven rack up towards the top and i think that helped about the burning bottom.

On my third attempt do you think i didn't cook it long enough? I was worried if i cooked it any longer it would stick.

My 4th attempt will be tonight!

The family used to shake their heads in disbelief at me, as well. 'She's at it again, Dad!'

It sounds like you had it too thick in the pan. It takes very little to cover, it seems like there's hardly any on there. You'll catch on after a few tries.

The kids like to deep fry the 'dry glue' ones that get too thick. Thick corn ones are sort of like tortillas.

Good luck, once you get it down, you can make all sorts of variations. (If you try using honey, the darn stuff won't ever crisp up.)

Thanks - i'll try it again!

Gosh i finally feel like I am not alone! This year I started a garden, my husband just shook his head,, but when i ordered my clothesline and expected him to put it up,, i think he wanted to flip his lid! It worked out well for him, he was no longer on laundry duty!

Thanks for the reply.

Here's one for granola.

Granola for the Dehydrator

5 c. large flake oatmeal

1 c. coconut

1 c. sunflower seeds

½ c. roughly ground flax seeds

1 c. chopped cashews

1 c. dates

½ c. boiling water

1 c. apple juice

Soak dates in hot water and puree in food processor. Add apple juice. Mix with the above ingredients and dehydrate for several hours at 115 degrees.

Of course it can also be dehydrated in the oven or baked like regular granola. The recipe is very flexible. I add whatever leftover seeds or nuts I have.

I keep mine in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.

Tastes great with almond milk smile

My dc love this one....

CORN CRUNCH CEREAL

3 c buttermilk

2 ¼ c cornmeal

3 c hard red wheat flour

2 ¼ c brown sugar

1 ½ t salt

1 ½ t baking soda

1 ½ t baking powder

Mix dry ingredients. Slowly mix in milk. Spread on cookie sheets and bake at 325 for 30-40 min. Cool, crumble, bake again at 225 until dry & crispy. Store in bags or jars. Serve with milk.

• 1 month later...

I tried the cinnamon toast cereal recipe tonight. I had it in mind to make for my kids, but once I tasted it in milk I just could not get over how good it was! I had a friend over at the time and she also tasted it, she was really impressed.

No more store bought cereal here! The test was when i had my son try it, who not only eats the majority of cereal in the house but is also a very picky eater,, he loved it!

Thanks for posting the recipe

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
I've made this one a couple times. I really like it, but it is a bit harder than store bought Grape-Nuts.

Grape Nuts

* 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
* 1 c. brown sugar
* 1 t. salt
* 1 t. baking soda
* 1 t. cinnamon (optional, I usually don’t add the cinnamon)
* 2 c. sour milk or buttermilk (you can make milk sour by adding a T. of vinegar to it)
* 2 t. vanilla

Mix thoroughly and pour into a greased jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides). Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool completely. At this point, this looks and smells like cake. Once the cake is cooled completely, cut it into pieces and whirl it into crumbs in the food processor. Don’t process too long because you don’t want it to get gummy. Spread this crumbly mixture into two jelly roll pans. Bake at 300° for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the grape nuts in the pan in the oven overnight.

I have an Amish cookbook with a recipe similar to this. The directions say to put the dough through a potato ricer, and cut off the pellets as they are pressed out.
  • 2 months later...

Archived