MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Second Harvest volunteer

Peg

I have to tell someone, I volunteered to help with the local second harvest food distribution. We collected $475 from local businesses to pay for shipping costs and had approx. 27,000 pounds of food delivered to a local church. We distributed the food to 215 local families and made a donation to the church's food pantry. It sure was a good feeling to help. star

After all the people went through the line, the "workers" were told to go through the line. We were loaded up with lots of food. I was able to fill the back of my Rodeo with food(meat, eggs, chips, tomatoe paste) and shampoo. Someone put 13 gallons of milk into the back when I wasn't looking, but that's ok, I was able to find homes for some of it and the rest went into my freezer. I was so excited, and glad I decided to help.

I think I am going to get involved in one local church and help with their food distribution set up. So many people are in need. I had absolutely empty cupboards in April and they helped me out so much that month. Being careful with my budget, almost to a dime these days is helping me build up the food in the pantry so to speak and also work on plan B as well.

It seems I am being given the impulse to help my neighbor and thats a good way right now. I am sure they could use the help. It is also a way I can pay it forward. ( Plus it is in walking distance! )

:))

Archived