MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating

Last week I attended a food preservation class at the co-op ext. Now I have more questions than I had before.If I understood correctly lack of oxygen and moisture helps botulism along. After sitting through the class I have decided I don't have the gut for canning. To many things can go wrong. They managed to scare me away for life. So I want to dehydrate instead so heres my questions. Would vacuum sealing dried fruits and veggies increase the risk of botulism? Does dehydrating remove all of the moisture or just most of it? Since I'm not canning I want to invest in the best equipment I can. I was thinking about one of the Excalibur's is it worth it? I'm kind of glad that I have narrowed it down to one area to concentrate on and do well rather than doing several things just ok. I really need help! DarleneSwoon

Thanks,

Kitty

I hope this don't come off as I'm preaching to you, cause I'm not. grin

If you got scared off of canning because of a class, then I would think that it was presented wrong. As long as you follow the proper procedures it is very safe to do. I would suggest that you do more research and talk to everyone you know about it. If you have any concerns or questions ask us, please. Don't get put off by what you know now. If you make it to the get-together at Darlene's in October you will know all you need to about canning by the time you leave.

As to dehydrating, vacuum sealing should not increase the risk of botulism. If the food is properly dehydrated and stored it is as safe as canning. I have the Excalibur 9 tray model and it does a super job. Dehydrating does not remove 100% of the moisture in food, it can, but there has to be some moisture left.

Dehydrating takes a lot of time to do. As an example, I found out this year that strawberries take 12 hours for a full load to do. I was not happy. They turned out great, but when you have 12 quarts to do and can only get about 3 quarts in a load, it takes 2 days to do them.

If you have a garden and are dehydrating everything, unless you have several of them, all of your time will be spent waiting for it to get done. As an example you can't dehydrate tomato juice, but you can can it.

I beg you to reconsider learning how to can. There is so much more you can put up by canning than dehydrating things.

bighug

wormie

John

I agree with WormGuy. I teach food preservation,so I know it to be a rewarding experience when you can. It is perfectly safe, as was said, if you follow the guidelines.

Botulism can happen in low acid foods,such as meats, fish, and vegetables, if not canned long enough or at a high enough pressure. That, or put in oil, or thickened, etc. You will learn what the guidelines are. The guidelines are just safety things, like driving a car. There are things you do when you drive to keep safe. Same with canning. I promise you, it is a wonderful thing to be able to can your own foods !

Please, feel free to ask your questions here. You will not get botulism from fruits, jams, things that are high in acid. They don't even need a pressure canner, just a boiling water bath.

You will risk molds more than anything else with dehydrating.

Sure, with jerky you will need more care in how it is done, but even that can be done safely.

Don't let the safety things scare you off. I have canned for 35 years. My family has eaten those things all that time. I now help teach food preservation safety. Let us here help you through it !

Kitty, the Excalibur are great dehydrators. That, and if you want to spend less, then the Nesco/American Harvest are good,too. Just don't get Ronco or something like that. You need a good heat source, a good fan, and an adjustable thermostat to be a good dehydrator. Also, one that is opaque, not a clear plastic is something to look for. The Excalibur has all those good features.

I have to agree with this, too.

And I dehydrate a LOT. I try to get something in there every day. It's GREAT for some things, not so great with others. Potatoes. For a meal for my family, I use about 4 lbs. I can't even get a meal's worth of potatoes in my dehydrator. Now, I could get more trays, but that would increase my drying time. So maybe I can get a full meals worth in there, but they'd be in there for longer, so there's a trade off.

Again, I use it. Mushrooms, green peppers, carrots, berries, onions, most fruits are fantastic in there. If I've got a bit of something fresh leftover (like those two stalks of celery that didn't get used when you made soup and won't be eaten by the kids) then I will throw that in there. Anything you want to put into a soup. It saves a lot of space. I'm a huge fan of dehydrating-but I also think that canning holds a very important place in your preps.

Yes, by all means, get the excalibur. If you can't afford it, or want to start smaller (so you can start sooner and then save for the excalibur) then go with the Nesco, which most walmarts carry. Don't bother with ebay for dehydrators, they go high. I have had my Nesco for years, and it has always served me faithfully. Vacuum sealing is great, especially if you live in high humidity or have humidity issues in your home. They need to be kept away from heat and moisture. Those foods WANT to rehydrate LOL.

The book Stocking Up has a lot of great tips on dehydrating (as well as other methods of food preservation).

Mo7

Basically what she said is correct. However, it is not hard to find some good tasting, but safe recipes to use. It is true about adding bottled lemon juice or citric acid to tomatoes, even if pressure canning. If you eat commercially canned tomatoes or tomato products you will see they must add it, too. It is in them, as well.

Cooking recipes and canning recipes are not the same. That is something to teach people when they are learning. This is just like learning any new thing in life, it takes time to get the information before you start.

I have been canning for 35 years, and not any food borne problems at all.

Next week I am teaching a lesson on pressure canning. Yes, I will also stress those same points, but I will also insure everyone it is safe if you follow the guidelines.

It is an exact science. The creative part can come in with some things like jams, fruits, or with adding dry seasonings to homecanned foods.

If you are sure you did things according to the safe recipes and methods then you don't have to boil foods. It doesn't hurt anything to boil them, but if done right to begin with you don't have to worry.

There are elevation charts usually available online or even from an airport if you have one nearby. Pilots have to know the elevation.

Normally you would process at 15 lb. pressure if you have a weighted gauge canner if you live at an elevation higher than 1,000 ft . A dial gauge canner could be different for you, depending upon your altitude. However, using 15 lb. wouldn't really make that much difference than 12 lb. pressure. I don't think you would notice any difference in the food.

Soooo, if you really want to learn, just hang in there with us. We will help you through this.

If not, that is fine, too, and we will help you with dehydrating if that is what you want to stick with.

You can google your town to find your altitude. Yes, it can vary within a town, but you can figure it out. If your town is at, say, 5,990 ft, your home may be at 5,884 or 6,001. Use 6000 ft.

Darlene has always said that if you can for the longest processed food, the rest of it will be fine. So if you look up lentils and look up collards and figure out which one is longer at the highest pressure and process it like that.

Your concern is a very valid and legitimate one. Please follow your heart and if you have any other dehydrating OR canning questions, post away!

Mo7

• 2 weeks later...

question to everyone who owns the Excalibur Dehydrator -

I too was wanting to purchase one, thinking of going for the gusto and getting the 9 tray so I can get more done at one time. I'm not sure I need the timer model, do you think its a necessity?

Thanks!

edited: Oooh! One more question, once I dehydrate fruits and vegetables, I would then just vacuum seal it? It shouldn't get moldy on me, should it? How long would these fruits and vegetables last sealed that way?

Thanks again! bouquet

Originally Posted By: cthulhukitty
So dehydrating sounds great she did't mention dying once during the drying part woohoo
This sums up my class: canning = stretcher
rofl

I'm sorry, you had me rolling here at the end grin

bighug

I'm a little scared too. Hopefully that free UGA class won't scare me too bad. Ordered my pressure canner today, can't wait! Feel like I have so much to do, but can't do it w/o a pressure canner.

Hope you are feeling better! flowersmilie

LaBellaVita, I do not have the timer (though I do have the 9 tray) and I've never missed it.

And yes, I vacuum pack most of my dried stuff, or even just put it in airtight containers, depending on food, whether I have vaccuuum setup, etc.

Originally Posted By: etp777
LaBellaVita, I do not have the timer (though I do have the 9 tray) and I've never missed it.

And yes, I vacuum pack most of my dried stuff, or even just put it in airtight containers, depending on food, whether I have vaccuuum setup, etc.
thanks I bought the 9 tray w/o the timer, I figure I need to stay home and watch it anyway with the price of gas DarleneSwoon

LaBellaVita,

I have my mama's Excalibur, the 4-tray. I LOVE it. I also played around a bit with a crummy RONCO my granddad had. It is now sitting in the 'to be donated' pile.

This week I've done apples, bananas, garlic, celery, carrots, and more carrots. smile

I love it.

Archived