MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What is TVP?

Shurleen, yes it is a bit like those bacon bits--in fact some of it is exactly like that.

Due to corn allergies, I can't use a lot of the TVP that is flavored. However, before the allergies kicked in, I used to love the Emergency Essentials TVP beef flavor and taco flavor. They are wonderful.

I have discovered that Bob's Red Mill's TVP does not contain corn so I flavor it with beef broth and use it half and half with ground beef in my meatloaves and meatballs. It stretches the meat. I have also managed to make meatless meatballs and meatloaf for vegetarian friends. It comes out great--but you do need to get used to eating TVP if you are not used to eating a lot of fiber.

Oh..it also saves on fat and calories. By using it instead of meat for certain dishes, you are cutting out calories and fat, and helping yourself stay healthy.

It's a great budget stretcher now and later it's a good source of protein if you don't have any animals around to provide it.

TVP is something you should learn to use now so it won't be an alien substance you need to deal with in SHTF times.

I found that at first, I needed to use the pre-flaovred TVP as it seemed more familiar to what we were used to. Now, it doesn't matter and I flavor it myself.

Tacos are really good made of this. You see, the thing about TVP is that is takes on the flavor of whatever you put it with. SO if you rehyrate it with beef broth instead of water, it tastes just like ground beef--and then if you put it in taco sauce, it tastes just like hamburger in sauce.

My family thinks I am nuts LOL... I love soy burgers, they can't stand them. If you cook it and use it in dishes where the meat is just for flavor like casseroles, lasagna and most one dish kind of meals most of the time you cannot tell the difference. I experiment on my Girl Scout troop all the time LOL... I can't get them to eat the soy burgers either, except one little girl who eats nothing much actually likes them (I think she's a future vegian based on what she will eat).

Kath

Textured Vegetable Protein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein) is a highly processed food made from soybeans generally intended to be used as a meat substitute or extender.

Some folks like it well enough, some tolerate it, some cannot abide it. I'm generally in the "can't abide it" camp, but there are those that like the stuff, it's relatively cheap, and it stores well so it has a place in some food storage programs.

My advice to newcomers concerning TVP or any of the other processed soyfoods is to try them for a few days before stocking up on them. You'll soon know whether you want to go any further with them or not.

.....Alan.

TVP is typically very high in free glutamates; people like me who can't tolerate MSG can become very ill on the third or fourth dose of TVP.

If your okra is all slimy and gross, Shurleen, you might be cooking it too long. Get younger pods, like two days after the blossom drops, dredge them in seasoned flour or seasoned meal, and drop them in hot bacon grease. Pull them out as soon as the coating colors. Or, if that doesn't work for you, season the pods and sautee them in butter or bacon grease without breading. Pull them out as soon as the color intensifies. Eat hot. Cold okra is almost as bad as cold french fries.

JCK, your description makes me think TVP is like dried tofu? Is that what it is?

Ambergris, I don't cook okra. LOL Ever. I only had it once. I took a trip to Oklahoma with a friend after we graduated to visit her grandparents. They served okra, and yes, it was slimy. I thought I was going to die trying to be gracious. That's the first and last time I've ever tried it. All my southern friends love it. I cannot imagine. LOL

Shurleen, the TVP that I just got looks more like big dried bacon bits (it's flavored) and some chunks are bigger.

The big difference in it and tofu, is this is dehydrated. The similarity is what was mentioned about taking on the flavor of the food with which it is cooked.

As to OKRA!!! Girl...as a child we would FIGHT over the slickem' in the pot of peas. LOL!! And how could you not love FRIED OKRA!! smile

Well, I don't know. I just can't like it. Hominy, grits, all of that is fine.

You southern folks...you eat the strangest foods. LOL

I guess that should be expected in a population that sugars their tea till it's like syrup. rofl

• 1 month later...

I love love love TVP..but then I was a vegetarian for 10 years (and now eat just fish) so I'm very used to meat substitutes. It does kinda look like fake bacon bits..just very pale. I've never bought the flavored kind, I use plain. You have to rehydrate it before adding..but I just pour in a bit of hot water and let it sit for a minute or two and it sucks it right up. I often use it mixed in with spaghetti sauce for protein...my fiance likes it fine..he can tell the difference between it and ground beef but he thinks it's fine. It gives you the same texture. I'd imagine if you added a small amount of ground beef to it, it'd taste the same. I tend to throw it in all my meals, just for some protein since I mainly eat veggies.

Archived