MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Peaches

My dh sells fruit in season. As a result, we eat a LOT of fresh fruit. And I can a LOT of fruit. smile

Today I started canning peaches...only had enough ripe to do 7 qts, but that's a start. I intend to can 120 qts this year, plus make peach ketsup (100 pints), and peach sauce (48 qts).

Oh my.

I still have memories of the 450lbs I did 2 years ago.

And I still have the reality of tons of quarts of canned peaches and jam.

DarleneSwoon

lolol

That's my goal, Darlene. I intend to can 120 qts this year of sliced peaches, plus 100 pints of peach ketsup and 48-60 qts of peach sauce. I already have some from last year, but I want to have a min of 3 years put up.

Got another 14 qts done today so far and at least one more batch to go...

Originally Posted By: MamaTiger
That's my goal, Darlene. I intend to can 120 qts this year of sliced peaches, plus 100 pints of peach ketsup and 48-60 qts of peach sauce. I already have some from last year, but I want to have a min of 3 years put up.

Got another 14 qts done today so far and at least one more batch to go...

wow. Thatsa lotsa fruita. No peach jam? My favorite.

I have never had peach ketsup.

Well, according to the recipe I use, they can be water bath canned. Not sure if that is still kosher or not with the changes in rules...

Peach ketsup, well that's an interesting story. Last year I was reading in Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living and noticed she mentioned making fruit ketsups. Seems that in the distant past ketsups were made out of all kinds of fruits and veggies. So I decided to give fruit ketsups a try...

However, Daddy Tiger didn't think it was a good idea. He found just the thought of it distinctly distasteful. lol

Until I made a batch of peach ketsup. And he fell in love! LOLOL

I also made pear ketsup, apple ketsup and grape ketsup last year. Hubby uses the peach version as a dipping sauce, much like most people use tomato ketsup.

I use all the various versions as a cooking sauce. I often put a piece of meat (chicken, beef, pork) in the crockpot with a pint of fruit ketsup and let it cook. Gives the meat a nice flavor.

Yesterday's total was 21. Today's was 35. Grand total so far is 79 qts. Plus I have 4.5 gal of peach juice (made from the peelings and pits) for making peach jelly.

Most all fruits are high in acid, so safe for BWB, no need to pressure can. However, there is a chart for using the PC, as well.

The exception is for figs, and Asian pears is that you need to add bottle lemon juice to make them acidic enough to water bath process.

The sugar makes no difference. Sugar isn't a preservative unless it is nearly 50% added to a product, as in a regular sugar jam. Then the sugar binds up the water available for bacteria growth.

Same reason salt is needed when drying meats. So, only jerky is safe to dry, not cooked hamburger, etc. It is called "water activity" in foods.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Oh my.

I still have memories of the 450lbs I did 2 years ago.

And I still have the reality of tons of quarts of canned peaches and jam.

DarleneSwoon

lolol

450 POUNDS! On purpose?!?! eek

You must have some kind of storage, for that is one immense amount of peaches!

I remember one year as a kid, Dad got a deal on 150# of strawberries, a lot for us! He brought the berries in and we did Jam...for days...and froze some....for days....and washed, stemmed, etc. It must have taken us at least 2 weeks, maybe more to finish.

For years, I couldn't look at a strawberry without... ewww

Now, I love 'em...

Let's see:

450 lbs. divided by 17 (average lug weight) = 26.5 lugs of peaches!!!!

Holy smokes!!! lol

Ball book says 8 - 12 lbs. peaches = about 4 quarts canned

Average that out to 10 lbs. peaches = 4 quarts canned

Wow, that is 180 quarts of peaches!!

eek

YUM!!!

lol

You go, girl!

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Of course I did it on purpose.

I do all outta control things on purpose.

The behavin' part is by accident.

lol

rofl

My husband exactly!

I think I'm going to do a cross stitch of this saying for him. Except I don't cross stitch. Oh! A pretty framed calligraphy for his office.

I'll credit you with the quote, Darlene. smile

Archived