MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Store what you eat??

this doesn't belong here and I am not trying to bum anyone out... on the contrary... I am going to respond to the 100 year poem and memories.

Regrets; Memories of a Past Life

as we sit in our rocking chairs watching our legacy of several generations.... the little ones playing and I can't remember their names.. the children of my grandchildren... pondering the many years I have lived.

What I find my mind keeps wandering to is the regrets I have...

A regret starts with "If only I......."

Coming into this life, I made sure I had no regrets! I made sure that even though I am tired... cookies would put a smile on the face of a child! letting them bake with me.. so what if there is a mess.. that is what a sponge is for.

It doesn't matter if the seam I sewed isn't perfect... the apron I made for the children that matched mine.. made it all worth while when the children came back and told me how much they love their apron and being able to stir or peel or lick the bowl! making the granchildren aprons and letting them carry on the rituals of their parents, having 3 generations now in the kitchen all laughing and joking and remembering 'when'.

When I didn't feel like it, I had to ask.. 'will I regret later on that I didn't?' you see you can't get that moment back.

I wish more people, especially fathers understood this... I wonder how many are now sitting in the quiet of their minds spending time with their regret. 'If only I would have spend time throwing a ball, taking the kids for ice cream, going for french fries and a soda.. so little effort for such great rewards!

My children's children are my legacy! I begin the memories, they remain constant.. those rituals will be carried on to the next generation and the next... that is what is is all about!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bummer, Westie..it's an affirmation. Good for you.

You know, the one thing my 83-year-old Dad regretted in the last days of his life was that there had been times over the years when my mom asked him to walk on the beach with her and he declined. With tears in his eyes, he told me, "I should have gone with her, I could have...."

So have the messy kitchen and the not-so-perfect aprons and you'll have the giggles, traditions, memories--and when you do the things you do even if you don't feel like it, the reward does come.

(My husband was saying he doesn't feel like going throwing discus and hammer tonight with our dd--but he's going because he knows in two years, she'll be in college and these times are precious. He said, as he dragged himself off the sofa.."I think I'll treat the kid to an ice cream tonight...."

Hugs Westie. And thanks for the reminder of what truly is important in this life.

Regrets! We all have them don't we, in some form of the other.

I certainly didn't find your post anything but encouraging Westie. A good reminder to keep "first things first".

Time is indeed the most precious of commodities, it is the glue that bonds a family together.

Originally Posted By: Tracie

I won't be buying any split peas though. I've just never liked split pea soup. I don't care how nutritious peas are, I'm not buying dried split peas unless I can first figure out a way I'd actually like them.

You go girl....I've never developed a taste for them either....and I don't eat ham which many use for flavorings...in our preps split peas and lentils DO NOT have a home. smile Cauliflower is also not welcome in our garden for the same reason. smile

Westie,

Your post was anything but depressing, I found it an uplifting reminder to live the most you can today.

For some reason this year as I've been canning, I've really been missing my grandma who has been gone for 8 years now. She and my mom would can like crazy....I guess I'm just missing help in the kitchen, you know the company of like-minded women. smile

I miss help in the kitchen while I am canning frown All my life I helped my Mom and Sis, and we always canned together. Now my Mom can only really help with shelling and snapping and she is always happy to sit and visit and do this with me and my Sis(when she gets to come by after work). I have canned so much this summer by myself and I also miss family in the kitchen(camper) with me. My girls Do Not like or want to learn to do this. Even though I know they would be able to b/c they grew up all their life watching me and Mom doing this together. My youngest daughter(nearly 27) came over the other day and helped hubby shell some peas and when they were done, she said I loved doing that. shocked They havent worked in the garden or did anything like that since probably high school or b/f. flowersmilie

I tried this one and it is great!! woohoo

Cream of Something Soup Mix

2 cups of dry powdered milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dry onion flakes

1 teaspoon each basil and garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons dry celery flakes (optional)

This is a convenient mix for making the equivalent of a can of cream of celery, or mushroom soup, which so many recipes call for. To make the mix, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them up, distributing everything evenly. Store the mixture in a quart size container, well sealed. It will keep for several months.

Thanks for finding and sharing this one Westie!

I made up a batch and put it in a Tupperware canister. Of course I had to make a sample bowl...yummy!

if you have dehydrated mushrooms or celery or broccoli or ??

you can powder it or whip it up in a blender or similar and create cream of celery or mushroom and etc.

I'm convinced that the reason I've not been successful with food storage before is that I would store stuff, that I didn't know how to actually use OR just wasn't incorporating it into our regular diet, and therefore, wasted food and wasted money.

I was sharing in another thread about Polenta, it is made of plain cornmeal and can be combined with numerous other ingredients. It can be used as breakfast, dessert, appetizer, or main dish. I'm investigating it a bit.

I know pretty good about what to do with potatoes and rice, I'd like to stretch myself a bit and see what I can do with plain corn meal. After all, I can grow corn, grind corn and I have corn meal... smile

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=227906

tortillas ... whether corn or flour is made from ground flour (corn or wheat)

tortillas is actually a flat bread, using NO yeast for rising.

Corn Tortillas or Corn Chips or Taco Shells (7 six-inch Tortillas)

1 cup cornmeal

1/2 to 3/4 cups water

1/2 tsp. salt

Preparation: Combine cornmeal, salt, and 1/2 cup of water. Make a soft dough.

If it is too dry, add a little more water.

Cover with a cloth and let stand for 30 minutes. Shape the dough into 7 two-inch balls.

Press (or roll) balls into flat 6” circles.

Tortillas Cook: Fry on hot griddle for about 1 minute until the edges start to curl. Flip over and fry another minute.

Tortilla Corn Chips Cook: Deep fry small corn tortilla pieces for about 20 seconds in hot oil and remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.

Taco Shells Cook: Heat 1/3 inch of oil in a skillet to 360°F. Slip an uncooked tortilla into the hot oil. After one second, use a spatula and fold the tortilla in half. Insert the spatula between the folds and press down and fry for 30 to 60 seconds until golden brown, then turn it over and repeat. Remove and drain curved side down so the oil will drip off. Fill with ground meat, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, etc.

WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLAS

2 - 3 cups freshly milled wheat flour (usually 3 cups)

1 cup warm water

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/4 cup oil

Measure liquids into mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff. Let stand 10 minutes. Shape into 8 - 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes. Roll very thin to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press. Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). These are as much fun to make as they are to eat with our new Wrap Master. To cook a large quantity more quickly, I use the Wrap Master to press, then place on my hot griddle to finish cooking.

SWEET TORTILLAS

To the above recipe add 2 Tbs. Sucanat, 2 tsp. cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg. Prepare same as above. Serve these with fruit, topped with unsweetened yogurt, and drizzled with a little honey. Roll up for a delicious breakfast burrito or dessert.

Can I chime in with a question about cornmeal? I bought some and haven't used it for anything yet, other than dusting the bottom of pizza dough when I made pizza last week. No one else complained, but I found the pizza nearly inedible because of the grittiness of the cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza. I only baked the pizza for a few minutes at high heat, and the cornmeal was extremely hard and unpleasant to eat.

What did I do wrong? Do I need to put the cornmeal in the blender to make it finer, or what?

Originally Posted By: Genoa
Can I chime in with a question about cornmeal? I bought some and haven't used it for anything yet, other than dusting the bottom of pizza dough when I made pizza last week. No one else complained, but I found the pizza nearly inedible because of the grittiness of the cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza. I only baked the pizza for a few minutes at high heat, and the cornmeal was extremely hard and unpleasant to eat.

What did I do wrong? Do I need to put the cornmeal in the blender to make it finer, or what?

While I've never tried this, I read that using Semolina flour for that purpose is better than cornmeal.
  • 2 weeks later...

wave Hey everybuddy!

In my new quest to 'EAT what I STORE', I've been trying out some new recipes that I could make completely from my main stocks. Last night we had White Chili and Jalepeno Cornbread.

The only thing I needed that I don't have stored was Sour Cream. This helped me decide to order the powdered sour cream from Emergency Essentials. Realizing how much we love that flavor and how often we use it.

This was very encouraging to me. As I had mentioned before, prey2k I went into hyper storage mode, and much of that was wasted, just simply thrown away. So, now, I wanted to be sure that I actually used these things I was stocking.

Here's the recipe...there are many other varieties on the net, this is my mom's version and it was so good, that my dh didn't have any to take for lunch today.

Northern Beans from my bean stash (can use any white bean)

*I cooked and seasoned these in my dutch oven*

Canned chicken breast (including broth)

*Canned from my first p/c attempt about 10 days ago

Cream of Something Soup

*made from the powdered recipe provided by Westie in this same thread

Canned green chiles

*these were bought but still out of my pantry - and could easily be subbed with home canned chopped peppers

Onions chopped

*I had previously prechopped and frozen these, but certainly could use dehydrated or fresh.

Corn

*I used a can from the store/my pantry but wish I had tried the dehydrated from Harmony house - I feel sure it would work.

Sour Cream

* Only thing not in my preps..but it WAS in my fridge wink

This was soooo good. Nobody considered it 'eating beans again' feedme

nope no sour cream recipe here! I will keep looking

HOME PREPAREDNESS RECIPES

POWDERED MILK RECIPES

I don't know about you, but my food storage includes a lot of powdered milk. Here are a bunch of recipes I've collected for using it. I'd love to have more, if anyone's willing to share.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups instant dry milk (or 3/4 cup Non-instant dry milk)

1/2 cup hot water

4 tablespoons butter or margarine

3/4 cup sugar

Directions:

Pour water into blender, add milk, and sugar. Blend. Add margarine and blend Thoroughly. Chill for later use. 1 1/4 cups homemade mixture equals 1 can regular sweetened condensed milk.

Evaporated Milk

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry powdered milk

1/2 cup warm water

Directions:

Whisk together all ingredients.

Whipped Topping

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons powdered milk

1 cup water

2 teaspoons gelatin

1 1/2 tablespoons cold water

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Dissolve the milk and gelatin in boiling water. Add sugar, stir, and chill in the refrigerator until it gels. Beat the mixture until it looks like whipped cream. Add vanilla and whip again.

Bakers Cheese: (Tastes like Ricotta or cream cheese & may be used in any recipe calling for either.)

Ingredients:

1/4 Rennet tablet (Junket) Available in most grocery stores near the gelatin section. It is the enzyme, Rennin.

2 quarts warm water

5 1/3 cups instant dry milk (or 3 cups non-instant dry milk)

1/2 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Dissolve Rennet tablet in warm water. Add dry milk and mix well. Add buttermilk and mix well. Cover and keep at room temperature until set (about 5-10 hours). Pour into Cheesecloth-covered strainer, close the cheesecloth, and squeeze out as much whey

as possible. The whey may be saved for use in bread. Place the cheese in the refrigerator until well chilled (usually overnight). Knead cheese until the texture is smooth. Cheese

will freeze well for up to 6 months. (Makes about 1 lb.)

Cocoa Mix

Ingredients:

15 cups Instant powdered milk

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Makes enough for 10 quarts or 40, 1-cup servings. To use the mix, stir 1/2 cup of mix into 1 cup hot water for a warm drink or ice cold water for chocolate milk.

Milk Gravy

Ingredients:

1 cup powdered milk, mixed with 3 cups water

1 tablespoon margarine

3 heaping tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mix the water and powdered milk together. Add the flour and salt. Cook over medium heat until the gravy is thickened. Add the margarine and stir until smooth.

Sweet Corn Chowder from Dried Foods

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup dried sweet corn

4 cups water

2 teaspoons dehydrated onions

2 tablespoons oil

2 tablespoons bacon bits

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons flour

2/3 cup powdered milk

Directions:

Soak the corn and onion in water overnight.

Add milk, salt, pepper, oil, and bacon bits. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in the flour. Cook on low until it thickens and the corn is tender, about another 15 minutes.

"Queso Blanco" or White Cheese

10 Cups Powdered Milk

4 Quarts Water

2 Tablets (Junket Pills) Dissolved

1 Quart Half & Half Cream - (Don't know what you could substitute)

Pour powdered milk into container and slowly add water, stirring to dissolve milk.

Heat mixture until lukewarm. Meanwhile dissolve junket tablets

in a cup with some of the water. Add this to milk; mix in quart of half and half.

DO NOT OVERHEAT MILK! When it is lukewarm remove pan from burner and let sit about a half an hour to 45 min. Take large spoon and break up mixture-let set for about 10 minutes. Pour mixture with a cup into a small sack (cheesecloth) or container with holes so that it can drain and drain and drain. Will take about 5 to 6 hours or let drain overnight. When I saw her use the cheesecloth method, the cheese was wrapped in a round ball and tied with a rubber band.

Grape Ape

-----------

ice cubes

milk

grape jelly or grape juice

red & blue food coloring to make purple

Blend together. Can replace ice cubes with vanilla

ice cream for a shake.

Monkey Milk

-----------

ice cubes

banana

milk

honey

splash vanilla

drop of yellow food coloring

Blend. Again you can replace the cubes w/ice cream for

a shake.

MAKE YOUR OWN YOGURT! ARIZONA DAIRY COUNCIL

Add 1/2-cup instant non-fat dry milk to 1 qt. fresh milk and shake in a covered container or mix with an electric mixer. Heat mixture until hot, but don't let the milk boil. Into hot milk (test with drop on hand, should feel hot but not burn. Stir in 3 Tbsp. ready made yogurt. Pour into double boiler or other container and place over water maintained at an even warm

temperature. Keep at a temperature of about 1100-1150 F. Cover with a cloth as you would when allowing dough to rise. After 5 hours you'll have a quart of delicious fortified yogurt. Place in refrigerator to cool and eat with your favorite fruit, granola or even plain.

MAKE YOUR OWN COTTAGE CHEESE! ARIZONA DAIRY COUNCIL

Mix instant non-fat dry milk, or use skim milk. Allow to sour naturally (about 30 hours at room temperature). Stir thoroughly. Heat curd to 1000 for 30 minutes to expel the whey and give curd a firm texture. Drain the curd until the whey ceases to flow in a steady stream. Strain curd through cheese cloth for several hours. Salt to taste. One gallon of milk makes 1 to 1 1/2

pounds of cheese.

Margarine from Powdered milk

1/2 cup skim milk powder 1 1/2 cups safflower oil

2/3 cup water a little yellow coloring

(I use turmeric powder)

Reconstitute the milk powder by adding it to the water. Whisk in an electric blender at a slow speed adding the oil a little at a time (important) if the mixture is still too soft add more skim milk powder a little at a time till it thickens. Some practice may be needed to get it right but by memory I got it the first time and every other time since.

You can use other oils if you like, I prefer olive oil.

"Cream of Chicken" Soup Mix

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup unsalted instant chicken bouillon granules

2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1-teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend ingredients. When ready to use, combine 1/3 cup casserole

mix with 1 1/4 cups water to equal 1 can of soup.

ah ha! I knew I had one... had to go to humphry to pull it out.. lap top still unnamed!

this link has great information..

http://www.mormonchic.com/recipe/recipebox...owderedmilk.asp

Powdered Milk

By Connie Sorensen, staff writer

Recipes from Terry Clark, special to Mormonchic.com

Tips for printing this article

Powdered milk has long been a staple of a good food storage plan. I can remember my mom buying, storing, using and rotating it when I was a little girl, which is a good while ago! Powdered milk has been around since well before my childhood though. Marco Polo reported in the 13th century, that nomadic Tartars would boil mares’ milk and then dry it into a powder in the sun. To use it they would add water before their days’ horse travel. The agitation of the ride would reconstitute the milk and thicken into a porridge used for supper at the end of the journey. We have a bit more convenience and variety in uses for powdered milk today.

Mormonchic.com reader Jen Lords, attended her Stake Relief Society's Provident Living Fair a few years ago and sat in on a mini-class where the teacher, Terry Clark, demonstrated the many uses of powdered milk. She was so excited about the information she shared, she sent the recipes on to us to share with all of you.

We hope you find the information we've researched on powdered milk, as well as Terry's recipes will be of benefit as you continue to build, maintain and rotate your own food storage supply.

All these recipes are for non-instant powdered milk. With instant powdered milk the amounts will vary, so check the package for rules on reconstituting.

Amount of Milk.......Water.........Powder

1/4 cup..............1/4 cup.......2 teaspoons

1/2 cup..............1/2 cup.......4 teaspoons

1 cup................7/8 cup.......3 tablespoons

2 cups...............2 cups........1/3 cup

3 cups...............3 cups........1/2 cup

1 quart (4 cups).....3-1/2 cups....2/3 cup

2 quarts.............8 cups........1-1/3 cups

1 gallon.............3-3/4 quarts..2-2/3 cups

BASIC POWDERED MILK YOGURT

Keeps in fridge 2 weeks

2 cups warm (100degree) water

1 cup non-instant milk powder

2 tablespoons unflavored yogurt

Pour warm water into blender and turn on at low speed. Add milk powder slowly. Blend until smooth. Add yogurt and blend a few more seconds. Pour into jars or glasses. Set with one of the following methods:

Method 1 - Place jars neck-deep in warm water. Cover pan with lid. Set on Yogurt maker and keep temperature at 100-120 degrees. Will take 4-8 hours to set up. Chill immediately.

Method 2 - Turn on a heating pad to the medium setting. Place a folded towel over the heating pad. Set jars on towel. Cover with another towel. Let set 4-8 hours. When set, chill immediately. You can set your yogurt overnight or while you are at work. Save some of your homemade yogurt for starter.

YOGURT CREAM CHEESE OR SOUR CREAM

2 cups homemade yogurt (see recipe above)

2 paper towels

colander

large bowl

Place a paper towel in the bottom of a colander. Put homemade yogurt on the paper towel. Cover with another paper towel. Set colander inside a larger bowl to catch liquid. Place the whole thing in the refrigerator over night. The result is cream cheese. (*fat free!)

For sour cream, drain for less time.

BASIC COTTAGE CHEESE

1 gallon milk made from powdered milk.

1 rennet tablet or 1/4 junket tablet (found by the jello and canning supplies at the store)

1 pint buttermilk or basic yogurt.

Dissolve rennet tablet in warm water. Pour milk into a LARGE heavy pot and heat to 90°F. Add buttermilk or yogurt. Stir to mix. Add dissolved rennet. Cover pot and leave overnight in a warm place.

The next day, you will find a gelatinous, almost solid mass-like firm yogurt in the pot. This is the curd. with a silver knife,cut through this curd to break it into small pieces. Gently pour into a bowl. Now set the bowl into a pan of warm water and bring curd up to 110°F. Shake the bowl gently while it is being heated to help distribute the heat more evenly.

At 110°F, turn off the heat but leave the cheese bowl in the water for about 1/2 an hour. Then pour cheese into a cloth bag or several layers of cheese cloth and hang it up to drain. When drained, you can mash with a fork, if desired. Moisten as needed. Season as desired.

SOFT COTTAGE CHEESE

2 cups boiling water

1-1/2 cups dry milk powder

2000 mg ascorbic acid powder OR

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or white vinegar

Pour water into blender. Slowly add milk powder. Pour into saucepan (foam and all). Sprinkle curdling agent slowly around edges and gently stir over medium heat just until milk begins to curdle, separating into curds and whey. Remove from heat and let rest 1 minute. Pour into a cheese cloth lined colander. rinse with hot then cold water. Drain until no whew drip, about 1 minute.

Makes about 1-1/2 cups curds.

Refrigerate if not used immediately.

RC NOTE: (assuming 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid = 1000 mg ascorbic acid.)

QUICK SOFT PRESSED CHEESE

2 cups boiling water

1-1/2 cup dry milk powder

1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil

4000 mg ascorbic acid powder

Put in blender: water milk powder, oil. Allow foam to settle slightly.

Pour into saucepan and heat until at least 160°F. Add ascorbic acid and continue to stir until mixture curdles. Rinse with warm water then salt. Place between two plates with a weight on top to press out liquid.

Press for 30 minutes or so. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate. For smoky cheese: after rinsing, add 1 tsp liquid smoke flavoring and 1/2 tsp salt.

QUESO BLANCO - the original Jack Cheese

2 cups warm water

1-1/2 cup dry milk powder

1/3 cup white vinegar

Blend all ingredients. Pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until curds form and remaining liquid is a clear yellow. If still milky looking, ad vinegar, 1 tsp at a time. Pour curds into a cheese cloth lined colander. Rinse well with very warm water to remove vinegar flavor. Add salt to taste and press if desired between 2 plates. Wrap in plastic and store in fridge.

SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

Place 1/2 cup hot water in blender.

Turn on and slowly add 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup powdered milk. Blend until smooth.

Makes 1 can.

RC NOTE: For recipes where the sweetened condensed milk is replacing shortening, add 4 tablespoons butter or margarine to the hot water.

COOL WHIP

Chill a small mixing bowl.

Soften 1 tsp gelatin in cold water.

Then add 3 TBS boiling water, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved.

Place 1/2 cup ice water and

1/2 cup dry milk powder in chilled bowl.

Beat on high until stiff peaks form.

Add 3 tablespoons sugar, still beating.

Then add 3 tablespoons oil and the gelatin.

Place in freezer 15 minutes. Then transfer to fridge until ready to use. Stir before using to retain creamy texture.

Makes 2 cups.

HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING

Blend together:

2 cups mayo

2 cups homemade yogurt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1-1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon parsley flakes

YOGURT JELLO

When mixing jello, leave out 1/4 cup water. Add 1 cup homemade yogurt to partially set jello. (using store bought jello will give a much tarter flavor!) Fruit may be added.

HEALTH DIP

Thoroughly blend:

2 cups unflavored homemade yogurt

2 cups homemade cottage cheese.

Sprinkle in:

1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.

Blend well, salt to taste.

Chill and serve with crackers or veggies. VERY GOOD!!!

FUDGESICLES

Mix together:

3/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

3 tablespoons cocoa

3 tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1-1/4 cup non instant dry milk powder

Beat into 4 cups boiling water and cook 1 minute.

Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and pour into mold and freeze.

PINK LEMONADE PIE

Mix together:

6 oz can of pink lemonade concentrate,

8 oz cool whip

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Pour into graham cracker crust. Chill until ready to serve.

CHEESE CAKE

Combine:

12 oz cream cheese (1-1/2 cups homemade cream cheese)

3/4 cup sugar

3 cups cool whip

Spread into graham cracker crust in a 9x13 pan. Spread with 2 cans cherry pie filling. Chill.

Powdered Milk &

Home Storage Q & A

The following questions and answers are from the church’s provident living website.

What kind of milk is best to store?

Nonfat milk, either regular or instant, stores well when packaged properly and kept at room temperature or cooler. In the past, many felt that non instant milk would store better. There is little difference in shelf life between instant and non instant powdered milk.

What are the best containers?

Milk stored in airtight, low oxygen packaging has been found to last longer and retain a fresher taste than milk stored in boxes or plastic bags.

How long can powdered milk be stored?

Optimal storage life on nonfat dry milk stored at room temperature is three years before the milk begins to taste stale. However, when stored at cooler temperatures, it can be kept much longer. [With this in mind you should either freeze your powdered milk, or buy it in the fall and rotate it yearly.] You can rotate powdered milk by using it yourself or by giving it to others who will use it.

How much powdered milk should be stored?

Guidelines for quantities of dry milk to store are found in the 1978 booklet published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints called Essentials of Home Production and Storage. The booklet recommends that members store an equivalent of 300 quarts (about 75 pounds) of dry milk per person per year.

However, since that time, a U.S. government study on nutritional adequacy during periods of food shortage has recommended 64 quarts, or 16 pounds, per family member per year. Equivalent to approximately one glass of milk a day, that amount will maintain minimum health standards. Keep in mind, however, that children and pregnant or nursing mothers will require more than the minimum amount of stored milk. Families who opt to store only the minimum 16 pounds of milk per person should also increase storage of grains from the recommended 300 pounds per person to 400 pounds per person to compensate nutritionally for the smaller amount of milk.

What should I do with milk that is past its prime shelf life?

Milk develops off flavors as it ages. However, it still retains some nutritional value, and unless spoilage has occurred from moisture, insects, rodents, or contamination, it is still safe to use.

What can be done with milk that is too old to drink?

It is important to rotate dry milk. Older dry milk may no longer be suitable for drinking, but it can be used in cooking as long as it has not spoiled. If powdered milk has spoiled, it can be used as fertilizer in the garden

Shelf Life

Stored at:

40°F or below: 2 years

70°F or below: 1 year

90°F or below: 3 months.

With this in mind you should either freeze your powdered milk, or buy it in the fall and rotate it yearly.

****my note.. we know you can now get powdered milk that stores for 20 years from http://www.waltonfeed.com for those that will only use powdered milk if you have to!

thanks Westie, these are great.

I just made another batch of the cream of chicken soup, that is sooo handy.

And this one is definitely going into my prep cooking notebook!!

Margarine from Powdered milk

1/2 cup skim milk powder 1 1/2 cups safflower oil

2/3 cup water a little yellow coloring

(I use turmeric powder)

Reconstitute the milk powder by adding it to the water. Whisk in an electric blender at a slow speed adding the oil a little at a time (important) if the mixture is still too soft add more skim milk powder a little at a time till it thickens. Some practice may be needed to get it right but by memory I got it the first time and every other time since.

You can use other oils if you like, I prefer olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived