MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi... It's a green acres kinda situation.....

Tammy

Hi everyone! I'm city gal thrown into the wilderness.... eek

My name is Tammy, I'm a born again Christ follower, married to a wonderful man named Thomas....I have 3 children -2 boys and a girl.

Last October I received my ordination and I teach/speak God's Word to whomever will receive it and where ever He leads me to go. darlene

I have a long story about my transition into the wilderness (country) but won't go into it here-too long.

Basically, I'm glad I ended up here because looking around...you all have a lot of the info I'm looking for and seem very friendly and helpful. dee

I know nothing about canning.... dehydrating..... gardening.... survival..... this is why I find your site quite informative. Basically, I have NO green thumb....planted a garden outside and prayed that The Lord make it grow cuz I can't keep anything green alive on my own. He has done a good job and there's stuff out there that I don't know what to do with now. HA!

I'm hoping you all will take me under your wing and show me the ropes?

5 years ago, The Lord laid it on my heart that hard times were coming....to be prepared. Kinda like Joseph when the famine was coming... anyhow... He has relocated me to the wilderness and I'm just a city gal thrown into a strange land....totally relying on faith and trust and those whos path crosses mine. Anyhow, I've procrastinated on learning the ropes and being prepared but with all the stuff that has happened within the last 3 years with the economy and such.... I can't put this off anylonger. I need help!

please Will you help me learn how to provide food for my family in this manner-survival mode?

Like I said, I know basically nothing about canning and food preservation and so I ask for much mercy, grace and patience...while I listen and learn. DarleneSwoon

God bless you all!

~Tammy

PS: I read the 'chicken soup' canning thread and went out and bought some supplies...a 16 qt PC (scares me to be honest)...2 flats of pint jars & quart jars.... a little 'canning kit'... I have a big water canning pot and a med. stock pot... I think I'm ready if you all are willing....PTL.

Welcome Tammy!

For starters, there are a couple of books I would recommend.

Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country Living" explains how to do EVERYTHING .......from raising to slaughtering to preserving & cooking.

Carrots Love Tomatos is a wonderful gardening book.

Now, sit back with a cup of your favorite beverage, & read from the ladies here. You will learn a lot. I have!

welcome6 Boy, did you stumble into the right place!! bouquet Did God whisper this place or kinda shove you in??? happy02

Ask all the questions you want... there are NO dumb questions! We all had to learn somewhere... some at our parents' knees, some by trial and error, and some by the graciousness of friends.

May I ask... how old are the children? There a reason for it, I promise! wink

There's lots here... so explore and let us help you.

bighug

Tammy,

We have alot in common. I left the suburbs a year ago and moved to the mountains. Major change, but I already had a few things under my belt...canning, gardening, chickens, firearms, etc.

The Lord did the same thing to me...laid a heavy burden on my heart about preparing and then led me here. It is a huge learning curve but I have to admit, being in the center of His will for my life has been more exhilarating than I could have ever dreamed.

Girly girls really CAN make it in the wilderness.

Trust me.

Thank you Terrie! I'll make a note of those books and keep my eyeballs open... bouquet

I've been in the country now 3 years and have learned many things... things such as a 'tick' is a normal thing out here and no need to run away screaming in disgust when the daughter says, "Mommy? What's this on my head?" frypan

Or..... dirt under my fingernails doesn't mean that the whole day is shot or that people will 'shun' me..... jawdrop

LOL

Hi Cat.

It's good to know that I can ask questions because I wholeheartidly believe that by asking questions we gain.... It's truth... "you do not have because you do not ask"....

Soooooooooo..... I'll probably be asking lots!

Thank you and I have been exploring around.... I cannot believe it is possible to put meat in a jar and have it last for a year or so....maybe longer? That is amazing....something I am very interested in.

Quote:
May I ask... how old are the children? There a reason for it, I promise!

I have one wayward son {22 yrs} who is trying to find himself out there in the world...I'm waiting for the day he becomes my prodigal..... and at home I have a 13 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. My daughter, Caelyn, is a very picky eater... the only thing that she allows to cross her lips are chicken strips/nuggets, sausage links and french fries with the occasional hamburger made like mc. d's! She eats no fruits, veggies (only potato), is lactose intollerant so no dairy.... I'm worried about her when times get tough.

Is it possible to can chicken nuggets? Sausage links? Thin hamburger patties? French fries?

praying

Hi Darlene!

Quote:
The Lord did the same thing to me...laid a heavy burden on my heart about preparing and then led me here. It is a huge learning curve but I have to admit, being in the center of His will for my life has been more exhilarating than I could have ever dreamed.

Isn't that amazing? Dying to self is a killer! LOL

He is pleased with our faith and honored and glorified by our obedience because of our faith. smile

Who'd a thunk that becoming a Proverbs 31:10-31 woman was this much fun!?! DarleneSwoon heehee

Quote:
Girly girls really CAN make it in the wilderness.

PTL... When He is for us, who can be against us?

I've determined within my heart that I will overcome!! LOL

Thanks for the welcome Stephanie. yahoo

I am looking forward to learning sooooooooo much here.

I think the first thing I'm going to try my hand at canning is the salsa and then I'll tackle the chicken soup recipe.

Is there a recipe here for canning golash?

Originally Posted By: Tammy

Quote:
The Lord did the same thing to me...laid a heavy burden on my heart about preparing and then led me here.

Who'd a thunk that becoming a Proverbs 31:10-31 woman was this much fun!?!

Same here..........and Amen!!

The only canning I've done is strawberry & raspberry jams, peaches, (and one batch of pickles....which flopped!)

Welcome!!

And you are a very courageous lady! I've always lived in the country and canned and gardened and all that stuff.

If the Lord sent me to the city, and I had to drive those roads and get my hairs and nails done and go to theaters and dinners even once a week, I'd think I'd died and gone to hell. rofl

It's really REALLY hard to change to something you know nothing about.

And on the ticks...they are gross whether you are used to them or not. I still scream and I'm an old hand. rofl

Welcome! smile

P.S. The Lord did send us to live in a city (Vancouver, WA) for one year. I lived. But that's about it. I was listening to tapes on beating anxiety by the time we came back home to the country. God was merciful and didn't make me stay. I have a lot of respect for you folks who can live in the city and make a wonderful thing of it.

Quote:
I've been in the country now 3 years and have learned many things... things such as a 'tick' is a normal thing out here and no need to run away screaming in disgust when the daughter says, "Mommy? What's this on my head?" frypan

Or..... dirt under my fingernails doesn't mean that the whole day is shot or that people will 'shun' me..... :dropjaw:

LOL

laughkick Welcome Tammy. I'm laughing at your descriptions. I've got a Goat Birthing for Newbies thread going down in the Country Homesteading forum. I'm not new to "the wilderness" nor to animals in general. But I got my tiny goats in November and this is my first birthing. eek AND ya gotta have birthing to have milk/cheese/yogurt...which is my goal. My experience so far includes lack-of-sleep and bandaids.... sassing

My new skill of canning has graduated from turnips to hamburger. I figured if I blew the turnips, it's not a big loss.... laughkick

So you can see that even those of us who were raised rural can get SO MUCH from MrsS. You will have things to contribute too. I always beleive that someone's questions can be some of the most valuable posts on here. Because the answers that are sure to follow will be helping folks who will never post here...maybe never even join here. Your questions may save unknown lives in the hard times ahead.

So ask away!!! star

MtRider [on Day Five of Goat O.B. watch...and a little less than 'bright' at the moment... wink ]

Welcome Tammy!!!

I certainly understand your concerns about your dd. My ds is 7 and he hates cooked veggies and canned fruit (except applesauce). Thankfully, he'll eat a few raw veggies and raw fruit. He hates meat except for turkey deli meat (occasionally). If he had his druthers, he'd eat nothing but quesadillas, pancakes, grilled cheese and pizza...

The ladies here are truly wonderful and happy to help. Just dive right in! And don't be afraid of pressure canning. It's really easy. Just follow the directions.

:-)

Jams? It might be a while before I start that...lol. I'm trying to master salsa right now.

Thank you again for the suggestion on the books. I ordered the encylcopedia one yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive!

thanks

Hi!

Quote:

If the Lord sent me to the city, and I had to drive those roads and get my hairs and nails done and go to theaters and dinners even once a week, I'd think I'd died and gone to hell.

Now THAT was funny. hahaha I thought the same thing when I came out here..... snakes, spiders, bugs, etc. I thought they were demons sent to torture me. I never realized there were so many different kinds! eek Lord have mercy!

My poor doggy....he's almost 94 in human years and never had fleas or ticks until we moved out here..... it sure is a lot of upkeep.

No more running up the block for a gallon of milk or loaf of bread either......18 miles to the nearest town so we have to do 'the list' and if we run out before hand....too bad. LOL It took me a couple of weeks to figure that one out.

Well, I'm canning salsa right now so have to go check on it.

God bless you~

Hi! You drink goats milk? Ewwww, I haven't even thought of that option....

Hubby says we should get some chickens.... I'm having a hard time with the idea of eating them fresh from the coop... It's a mental thing I know. Also, my FIL was thinking of getting a cow so we can use the milk to make butter, cream, drinking milk..... I'm having a hard time with that too... it sounds so gross. LOLOL

I have that 'out of sight out of mind' attitude when I buy the stuff in the store...

Change is hard but apparently it is what The Lord wants of me to do so I must.

So do you have any baby goats yet? Did they come out? heehee

Thanks for the welcome Tracie!

My daughter doesn't even eat pizza, mac n cheese, bread, spaghetti, etc. etc. I have to send only Mrs. Grass chix noodle soup and chips to school with her for lunch. I'm hoping she will grow out of it soon and eat normal.

Oh, she does like peanut butter but only a spoonful and not on bread or crackers! arg.

As for pressure canning.....I'm sure after the first go around it won't bother me as much. :jumping2:

Archived