MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

doubling jam recipe

kathy003

I have been making peach jam off the food preservation site. Does anyone know why people say not to double the recipe?

Will you have to throw the jam away, or does it just not set right?

I actually already did this, but now i'm not sure if I should use it. If I do have to toss it, i just chalk it up to a lesson learned, not a big deal.

I also am water canning my first batch for the first time,, very exciting!

I have done as many as 6 batches of jam, at one time, and never had them not set up. I don't know why, maybe it is the cheap pectin I use.

The other day, though..I was canning 3 batches of blackberry jam. I had opened three pkgs. of pectin and had them sitting by the stove and completely forgot to put them into the berries. My chicks were a REAL treat that day and I was just frazzled. Every jar set up anyway.

I have read on here people talking about making quite a bit of Jam during one day, i can't help but wonder if they do alot of small batches or if they do one big one.

thanks for the response, i checked my Jam and it does seem to be setting up with no problem, and usually the water bath canner wasn't nearly as intimidating as i thought it would be.

I made that mistake with my strawberry jelly. I made one batch, turned out fine. Made a second, double batch - turned out fine. So, I quadrupled the last one. Didn't jell... but it is the BEST ice cream topping I've ever tasted. So, it's all good. smile

Making jams is a ratio thing. Really. You have to have a perfect ratio of pectin to fruit to sugar for it to gel. People even have reported different results with different types of pectin.

Why does it work sometimes and not others?

Perhaps the fruit was 'perfect'.

Perhaps pectin was right.

Maybe every grain of sugar was just perfectly level in the cup...

Maybe you just got plain lucky - do a happy dance!

Whenever I've doubled jam recipies, I've always ended up with syrup or really THICK jam, never a really outstanding blue ribbon product.

Most of my 'disasters' with jam though, have been with low-sugar varieties. I've tried just about everything BUT Pomona's Pectin. I'm getting ready to buy some, though.

Hope this helps.

Archived