MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flu season

MomM

I was at our county health dept Tuesday a.m. and a nutritionist there told me that they have already had some confirmed cases of the flu. She said the health dept already has the flu vaccine,but she didn't say if they were giving it yet. Tuesday afternoon, I went with DH to our family doctor (he hurt his rotator cuff) and I asked if they had the flu vaccine in yet. He said they had it in, but didn't plan to start giving it out until the end of Oct. They don't want to give it too soon, or it won't be as effective during the peak flu time. I guess we should all be very vigiliant with our hand washing techniques.

I work in Infection COntrol at a large hospital..we've had 4 confirmed cases of flu in Florida...VERY early to be starting. We will begin vaccinating staff and patients this Sunday. Area clinics have begun last week. Luckily, the strains that popped up(2 types so far) match what's in the vaccine...so far so good.

8 years ago my oldest DS was, literally, paralyzed from the flu attacking his spine. I am a cardiac nurse, so I was already aware that the flu can attack your heart and damage it to the point of needing a transplant, but I had not been aware that it can attack you ANYWHERE. It isn't always the respiratory symptoms that we generally see. He can walk now, but will always have a limp because some of the nerves in his spine will never regenerate. I am the one that brought the flu home to him because I had refused to get the FREE vaccine I had been offered at work. Believe me, I live with that knowledge every day... Don't take chances with the flu!!

Yes Percy, tell us more about Elderberry Syrup. Where is the best place to get it? What research do you know of. I, too, avoid the flu shot, but know I need to know more about flu avoidance. I wash my hands well, don't share hand towels with anyone in cold and flu season, and other typical avoidance issues. But this elderberry stuff sounds like something I need to know about!!

please and thanks

I'm gonna have to pass on the elderberry... I have had an allergic reation in the pass... On the side of flu shots you can request thermisol (sp... I'm to tired to look it up) free. Which is what we get our Kiddos and Me. I plan on getting flu shots in the next few weeks.

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: carr
Yes Percy, tell us more about Elderberry Syrup. Where is the best place to get it? What research do you know of. I, too, avoid the flu shot, but know I need to know more about flu avoidance. I wash my hands well, don't share hand towels with anyone in cold and flu season, and other typical avoidance issues. But this elderberry stuff sounds like something I need to know about!!

please and thanks

From Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life With Energy, Health, and Vitality by Rosemary Gladstar --
Elderberry Syrup. This is the most popular herbal cold remedy in Europe, and it's delicious.
1 cup fresh or 1/2 cup dried elderberries
3 cups water
1 cup honey
1. Place the berries in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Smash the berries. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and add 1 cup of honey, or adjust to taste.
3. Bottle the syrup and store in the refrigerator, where it will keep for 2 to 3 months.

Archived