MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dried Beans

Okay I have about 10 different kinds of dried beans...

Field Peas

Large & small white limas

green limas

pinto beans

black beans

navy beans

northern beans

small red beans

kidney beans

black eyed peas

spilt peas

lentils

Well that is all I can see sitting on the shelf right now. So on with the thread....

With the enconomy getting worse on a daily basis I told hubby that we would be eating more dried beans and more meatless meals this winter. I have read several thread on MrsS where people were sharing just how hard of a time they were having. So I thought I would start a thread with dried bean ideas. I have a feeling it is going to be a lonnngggg winter and not just weather wise either.

So here FEW are my general uses for dried beans

pintos - refried beans, cook regular, chili,

split peas - soup

lima beans - hey my family can eat these all day long with just corn bread

black beans - refried beans, mexican pasta dish, chili mexican gulosh (corn, black beans, and green chilis yum)

northern beans / navy beans - chicken chili, homemade baked beans,

red beans - red beans and rice, chili

kidney beans - chili

that is just a few of mine...plan and boring I know but spices make a world of difference

So how do ou serve your dried beans?

Chuck-Wagon Bean Pot

Serving Size : 6

1 pound dried beans -- any variety

1 ham hock -- or shank

1 large chopped onion

6 cups water

1 tsp salt

1 7 oz can Green salsa (salsa verde) -- (or larger) or canned tomatoes, tomato sauce)

Rinse the beans and remove any foreign matter. Mix all ingredients in the cooking vessel.

Cover, set temperature at low, and forget for at least 10 hours. If you have only half a day, cook the mixture 5 or more hours on high.

When beans are done, take out ham bone, cut off the meat, and put it back into the pot.

Serve hot with corn bread or muffins.

NOTES : This recipe comes from A Primer on Bean Cookery by the California Dry Bean Advisory Board and other organizations. This savory stew, featuring ham and beans, borrows its robust seasonings from the chuck wagon cooks of the old western cattle ranges. The secret is long, slow cooking, and your electric slow-cooker is ideal for the job. Just follow the directions that come with your particular model. If you don't have one, slow-cook the mixture on top of the stove in a heavy pot with a lid.

I use my crockpot a LOT for cooking beans. Of course if electricity was out and I still had gas, I could slow cook them in my dutch oven (could even use that over an open fire). But one way that lots of folks forget about (there was a thread about this not long ago) is cooking dried beans in the pressure cooker. They are GREAT cooked that way as well.

Yesterday I bought a NEW bean that I'd never seen before. Instead of Green Split Peas, they are Yellow Split Peas.

I love to make Taco Soup similar to your Mexican Goulash.

Canned, last year we saved the venison 'ham hocks', have you ever used those instead of the pork. I haven't tried them yet.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie

Canned, last year we saved the venison 'ham hocks', have you ever used those instead of the pork. I haven't tried them yet.

Oh yes we use venison any chance we get, but then again my guys LOVE bambi burgers.

http://www.usdrybeans.com/

That site has tons of recipes and uses for dried beans...every time this comes up, I post it! LOL From this site, I have collected and tried many recipes over the years. I made a binder labeled "Bean Cook Book" and believe me, it's handy. There are recipes on that site for desserts made from beans! It really will give you a new perspective on them. Who knew there was a National Dried Bean Council!

Originally Posted By: JCK88
http://www.usdrybeans.com/

That site has tons of recipes and uses for dried beans...every time this comes up, I post it! LOL From this site, I have collected and tried many recipes over the years. I made a binder labeled "Bean Cook Book" and believe me, it's handy. There are recipes on that site for desserts made from beans! It really will give you a new perspective on them. Who knew there was a National Dried Bean Council!

Oh thank you thank you thank you for that link...I am going right now to it and starting my Dry Bean Cook Book

I have about 50 report covers (you know the ones with the brads on the side for 3 hole punch) well I have printed stuff yesterday until I ran out of ink I am back at it today. I wish I had bought more when WM had their back to school sale.

Yes and I have several in my freezer and I use them when I regularly make my crockpot beans and soups. My crockpot has a permanent spot on my counter.

Never heard that one, but it wouldn't hurt and it might add a little flavor. Maybe it would work as good as or better than the addition of vinegar. Both are acids.

Also, if you just eat beans on a regular basis your body adjusts and creates the acids necessary to digest them without making all that gas.

Thanks for the venison ham hock info. thanks

BTW, my mom swears by this little trick ( I haven't tried it yet but keep meaning to) she says you put a generous slice of apple in the pot with the beans while their cooking...no gas! shrug

I haven't heard of that one but I do put a potato in my spaghetti sauce to pull the acid out ... tada.... no heartburn

Oh yeah Mommato3boys.... but glad you posted it for others!

Oh..and let's not forget that you can grind beans and make bean flour. Hubby likes to grind black beans and make refried beans from them...they cook up fast.

We aren't hard pressed right now. We have been blessed for my job to be very stable. But we are preparing for this type of meal. We are now in the habit of having at least 1 meatless meal each week. This week we are actually having more.

We will be having Lentil Loaf, Pineapple Black Bean Enchilada, 3 bean vegetarian chili and Split Pea Burgers. I couldn't find the first 2, but the other 2 I had posted these here on the forums.

Three Bean Vegetarian Chili

Split Pea Burgers

Hey Fritz -

In your Three Bean Vegetable Chili the instructions say to saute' the chilies and yet I didn't see any chilies on the list. DarleneSwoon

The recipe sounds excellent for us bean and cheese lovers. I will try it this weekend and test it on DH. darlenedance

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
We will be having Lentil Loaf, Pineapple Black Bean Enchilada, 3 bean vegetarian chili and Split Pea Burgers. I couldn't find the first 2, but the other 2 I had posted these here on the forums.

This is a recipe from Pillsbury

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained, 1/3 cup juice reserved
1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (12 oz)
1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso® mild enchilada sauce
8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 or 9 inch)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
8 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in pineapple, beans, green chiles and salt. Cook and stir until thoroughly heated. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro and 2 cups of the cheese.

2. Spoon and spread 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce onto each tortilla. Spoon about 3/4 cup vegetable mixture over sauce on each. Roll up tortillas; place seam side down in baking dish.

3. In small bowl, mix reserved 1/3 cup pineapple juice and remaining enchilada sauce; pour over entire surface of enchiladas in dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Spray sheet of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over baking dish and seal tightly.

4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, removing foil during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Top each baked enchilada with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon cilantro.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 40 to 45 minutes, removing foil during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking.

Fritz is this one something like the one you make?

Originally Posted By: Homesteader
Hey Fritz -

In your Three Bean Vegetable Chili the instructions say to saute' the chilies and yet I didn't see any chilies on the list. DarleneSwoon

Oops, guess that got edited off the ingredient list. My DW isn't too thrilled with spicy chili, so we tend to leave the peppers out.

We use one of the chunky tomato sauce varieties. I don't miss the meat at all. I can hardly tell that there isn't any meat.

Archived