Vodka and other Booze

Limoncello

Ingredients:

15 thick-skinned lemons

2-750 ml bottles 100 proof Vodka

4 cups sugar

5 cups of water

How to Prepare:

To begin, you'll need a large glass jar - at least four quarts - with a lid. Or divide the recipe into smaller batches. Choose thick-skinned lemons because they're easier to zest. You'll need about 15 medium to large fruits. Wash he lemons well with a vegetable brush and hout water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax. Pat the lemons dry and remove the zest. A vegetable peeler does the job best; it gives you long, wide strips of zest and hardly any of the bitter white pith. If You do get some of the pith with the zest, carefully scrape it away with the tip of a knife. Fill the jar with one bottle of the vodka and, as you remove the zest, add it to the jar.

Limoncello should taste like fresh lemons, not poor quality vodka. Use 100-proof Vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one. Also, the higher alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello won't turn to ice in the freezer.

MIX THE INGREDIENTS AND WAIT

After combining the vodka and lemon zest, cover the jar and store it at room temperature in a dark cabinet or cupboard. There's no need to stir; alL you have to do is wait. As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly takes on the flavor and rich yellow hue of the lemon zest. After about forty days, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil, and cook until thickened, about five minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture, along with the other bottle of vodka. cover and return to the cupboard for another forty days. Then simply strain the limoncello into bottles and discard the lemon zest. You can store the bottles in a cupboard, but always keep one in the freezer so it's icy cold when you're ready to drink it.

Start your limoncello now, while lemons are plentiful and inexpensive. By the time it's ready, summer will be here and you'll have a freezer full of the perfect hot-weather refresher.

mare

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Costco is the cheapest place i have found it. 1/2 gallon is $9.99

Sams Club is probably the same.

Vodka is good and versatile too! ROFL!

I searched around the site... here is everything I found...

good reason to store Vodka! it is after all not only a disinfectant but a pain killer too!

another use for Vodka... take a swig or two before having to stitch up the patient! if your patient has had enough to drink ... they won't even notice!

stitching....can I get it under the presser foot of my sewing machine? pass that vodka please!

Lecithin Pan Coating Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup Grain alcohol or vodka

4 teaspoons Lecithin, liquid

Directions:

This is similar to "Pam" nonstick spray.

Place grain alcohol & lecithin in a small jar & shake to mix.

If you don't like using grain alcohol, you can use vegetable oil in its place.

You can brush this on, but a small spray bottle works better. I found that the bottles that throat spray comes in work great as they have a real fine spray. This stuff is super.

anyone remember me talking about VODKA???? lots of uses, including drinking! LOL!

tang and vodka?

I can't grow celary but love the flavor.. I grow Lovage http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/l/lovage42.html just a small amount gives a strong celery flavor minus the crunch of celery (onions come in at this point). the stems can be used as straws which is fun with tomato juice (and a little vodka.. bloody mary!). The straw can be used in an emergency for someone that is flat on their back but it is better to store flexi-straws for that!

have I mentioned yet how important it is to store vodka? gallons of it! for tinctures, drinking, anesthesia, wound cleaning, drinking, and more. I am thinking about making a still.. I likes that 'Shine'! oh baby! need a recipe now!

I guess half a gallon would be enough, LOL ! I have no idea what it tastes like. I have never drank in my life.

Maybe I can get Crazy to get me some at Costco since I don't have a card any longer.

I did have penne with vodka sauce once, but I don't really remember the vodka taste in it.

Yesterday I almost went inside a liquor store. I was chicken !

You can buy wine in the grocery store, but I don't think you can get Vodka there.

tinctures! need vodka for tinctures!

in ball mason car, place herbs, cover with vodka... put lid on. keep in dark place for a month or longer. Shake at least once a week. Strain in a month. tincture!

medicinal of course.

Homemade Coffee Liquor Recipe

Kahlua and Tia Maria are Easy to Make, and are Versatile Liqueurs

© Jennifer W. Miner

May 23, 2007

Coffee Beans for Homemade Coffee Liquor Recipes, Dennis Mojado

Impress guests at a dinner party with homemade coffee liquor. This recipe approximates Kahua and Tia Maria, and the liquor can be added to for many tasty dessert drinks.

Coffee liquor is enduringly popular. It's a tasty drink to serve at the end of a dinner party: When a Kahlua style beverage is available, guests don't have to choose between coffee and an after-dinner drink. Kahlua and Tia Maria-type drinks give a mellow buzz of alcohol and caffeine (when imbibed responsibly). This recipe for great tasting homemade coffee liquor is sure to spark conversation.

While traditional Kahlua and Tia Maria use fresh, caffeinated coffee as a featured ingredient, it's fine to use decaf for this recipe. However, make sure that the brand of decaf coffee is one with an agreeable flavor; if it's not tasty with hot water, it's not going to be much better served cold - even as a liquor.

Homemade Coffee Liquor Recipe:

* 4 cups water

* 4 cups sugar

* 2 cups alcohol (vodka for Kahlua, rum for Tia Maria)

* 1 cup dry instant coffee, or 1/2 cup fresh ground coffee (dark brew provides stronger coffee flavor) While fresh ground coffee leads to tastier Kahlua and Tia Maria later, it is also a bit more work intensive down the road.

* 1 whole vanilla bean, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

* 1 tbsp caramel coloring, if desired

Boil the water and sugar in large pot, until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir.

Remove from heat, cool for half an hour.

Slowly add in the dry instant or fresh ground coffee, stirring continuously.

Add vanilla to the alcohol (vodka or rum), pour into gallon jug.

Combine cooled sugar syrup and coffee mixture with the vodka or rum in gallon jug.

Cover tightly, and shake every day for three weeks. Store in cool, dark place.

After three weeks, remove vanilla bean (if used) and strain coffee grounds (if fresh ground coffee was used). Discard vanilla bean and coffee grounds.

This recipe for Kahlua and Tia Maria style coffee liquor makes approximately 20 half-cup servings. It can be enjoyed as is, or combined with other ingredients.

Popular Kahlua coffee liquor recipes:

* Kahlua Coffee: Brew coffee as usual, replace sugar with this coffee liquor (with vodka) recipe, to taste.

* White Russian: Equal parts vodka, this coffee liquor recipe, and whole milk over ice.

* Black Russian: Equal parts vodka and this recipe.

* Kahlua Mudslide: Equal parts vodka, Irish Cream Liquor, this recipe, and whole milk or cream over ice.

* Kahlua Hot Chocolate: Four parts hot chocolate, one part this recipe in mug, topped with whipped cream.

Popular Tia Maria coffee liquor recipes:

* Tia Maria Coffee: Brew coffee as usual, replace sugar with this coffee liquor (with rum) recipe in mug, topped with whipped cream.

* Tiger Tail: Equal parts Grand Marnier orange liquor, peppermint schnapps, and this coffee liquor recipe in a shot glass.

* Tootsie Roll: Equal parts dark Creme de Cacao, Frangelico, and this recipe over ice, with or without cream.

* Tia Maria and Coke: Three parts Coke (or Pepsi, if you prefer), one part this recipe in a tall glass, with ice. It's very simple, and very good.

Kahlua

4 cups water

3 3/4 cups sugar

3/4 cup inst coffee

a fifth of cheap vodka

1 vanilla bean

Bring water to a boil, add sugar and boil for 5 minutes.

Stir in instant coffee,1 spoonful at a time.

Bring back to a boil.

Remove from heat and allow to cool for several minutes. Stir in the vodka. Split the vanilla bean and put in a 1/2 gallon jug. Pour in your mixture and let stand for 2 weeks.

Homemade Liquors

SUBMITTED BY: GOURMETFOX

"This is an excellent base for homemade liquors. Substitute chocolate, coconut, or any flavoring desired for vanilla extract and you will have made a different flavor alcohol. Food coloring can also be added to the cooled mixture to add a bit of pizzazz to your alcohol drinks! Perfect for warming up parties during the winter holidays."

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 1/4 cup water

* 1/2 cup vodka

* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List

* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

2. Pour vodka and vanilla extract into the room temperature mixture. Pour the liquor into a sealable decanter; seal and store for at least two weeks before serving.

can't use sugar? use splenda!!!

HOMEMADE GALLIANO LIQUOR

2 c. sugar

1 c. bottled water

6 tsp. pineapple extract

3 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. banana extract

1 tsp. pure anise extract

1 qt. 100 proof vodka

5 drops yellow food coloring

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and measure 2 cups of syrup. Pour into large container and cool. Add all extracts, vodka and food coloring. Shake or stir well to blend all ingredients. Makes 1 1/2 quarts galliano.

HOMEMADE IRISH CREAM LIQUOR

1 3/4 c. Irish Whiskey

1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 c. whipping or light cream

4 eggs

2 tbsp. chocolate syrup

2 tsp. instant coffee

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. almond extract

In blender container, combine all ingredients; blend until smooth. Store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 1 month. Stir before serving. Return leftovers to refrigerator.

to the recipe below..not sure how much vodka.. assuming a 1/5th

HOMEMADE CREAM LIQUOR

1 1/4 c. almond, chocolate, orange, coffee or mint liquor

1 c. heavy cream

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Shake well.

Everclear is a higher % alcohol. I can't get it in California so Vodka is used.

APPLE PIE LIQUOR

1 qt. apple juice

1/2 tin apple pie spice

1/2 jar honey

3 c. everclear liquor

In 2-quart pan, put apple juice and warm (do not boil). Add apple pie spice, and honey, mix well. Add everclear and divide into bottles, cap and let age 1 month. Serve cold or hot.

CRANBERRY LIQUOR 

3 lbs. or 12 c. cranberries

6 c. sugar

3 c. water

1 fifth 190 proof Everclear

First day: Crush berries and let stand 24 hours at room temperature. (Frozen berries crush easier in blender.)

Second day: Add Everclear to crushed berries and let stand 24 hours at room temperature. Boil 6 cups sugar and 3 cups water for 5 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate.

HOMEMADE COFFEE LIQUOR 

2 c. brown sugar

2 c. white sugar

4 c. water

2 oz. instant coffee

1 qt. vodka

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

Dissolve sugars in water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add instant coffee. Cool. Add vanilla bean and vodka. Store for 1 month in an air-tight jar.

Grand Marnier

1/2 tbsp finely grated orange zest

(no white pith)

1 cup orange sections

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar, packed

3/4 cup brandy

Combine first 4 ingredients in jar with tight-fitting lid. Pour brandy over top. Do not stir. cover. Let stand at room temperatrue for 5 weeks. Strain and retrun to far. Makes 2 1/3 cups .

Irish Cream

11 oz can of sweetened condensed milk

3 lg eggs

13 1/2 oz can of skim evaporated milk

1/4 cup milk

1 tbsp instant chocolate drink powder

1/8 tsp coconut flavouring

1 tsp instant coffee franules, crushed

1 cup Irish (or rye) whishey

Put first 7 ingredients into blender. Blend until smooth.

Add wishey. Mix. Pour into far with tight-fitting lid. Store in refrigerator. Makes 5 cups.

Amaretto

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cups boiling water

2 cups vodka

2 cups brandy

1 1/2 tbsp almond flavouring

Bring sugar and water to a boil in lg saucepan. Boil for 2 mins. cool for about 30 mins.

Add vodka, brandy and almond flavouring. Stir. Pour into jar with tight-fitting lid. Store at room temp for at least 1 week bore serving . Makes 6 cups.

this is poison or so *they* say! nay I say! but... ye be at your own risk! I post this recipe for MY OWN PERSONAL USE and so it doesn't get lost. I would hate it if someone made it and died! I on the other hand am dying so it doesn't make any difference if I die from a drink, pills, gunshot, or cancer!

absinthe

1 - 1 1/2 ounce dried chopped wormwood

1 liter vodka or 151 rum

fine strainer of unsued panty hose

1 tablespoon angelica root

1 teaspoon hyssop

1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds

1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

1 pinch cardamom pods

1 pinch fennel or anise seeds

granulated white sugar

whote cocktail glasses

spoons

1. In the glass jar, add crushed wormwood to vodka or rum and shake. 2. set container in a warm, dark place for 10 to 12 dyas. 3. strain out wormwood through fine mesh strainer or panty hose. 4 add remaining herbs and spices and set aside for four to six more days. 5. strain herbs, and serve.

Rules of the drink: absinthe is all about ceremony. To maximize the effect, rool out a Turkish rug, light a few candles, and cue up some Edith Piaf. We also recommend velvet smoking jackets, ascots, and a quill.

1. Pour a shot (1 ounce) of absinthe into a small glass. 2. Submerge a heaping spoonfull of sugar, letting it soak up the liqueur but not letting it spill into the glass. 3. Lay spoon horizontally along the rim of the glass. 4. Hold a lit match to the absinthe-soaked sugar. This will ignite a pure blue flame, known as the "blue fairy" and send glowing, caramalized drops of sugar into the drink below. (Only the higher proof alcohols will produce the hot blue flame). 5. Stir, add ice, and shoot down. Chase with cold water and grab the quill.

Tip: We highly recommend using mixers with a higher proof, such as 151 rum. Alcohol activates the wormwood's chlorophyll, creating the authentic chartreuse tincture that is as pretty as it is potent. Though each ingredient adds something, wormwood is the only one that's essential. Find it in health food stores and through online herb sites. Lack of hyssop or angelica root won't greatly diminish the potency though they do add depth to the drink's flavor.

Whew! Good to know all those years as a secretary, transcribing meeting notes, were good for something. I mostly typed this out because I want someone else to try making it and let me know how it goes. So report back!! from: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19112.0

Archived