MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Helping keep our home...

Trip

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been reading this and agree, a method of helping with the financial side of things would be wonderful.

This is Darlenes site, she owns it, she has the final say on what goes on. I know that I can email her over a concern and she checks it and deals with it.

But there are always negatives with the positives. Once people make donations there is a shift in attitute:

we pay money and we think that this should happen ....

we want more input into running things ...

we want to know how much money was donated ...

we want to know how the money was spent ...

Then there are those who having paid and got upset will then go to a government authority and say ...

I know - none of YOU would ever do that. But this is a public forum, others could do that if there is money involved.

Please be patient as Darlene works this out, I am sure that she is looking at things long term, and short term. Darlene has a background and access to legal advice as well. She will do the best thing and the right thing for all of us. I know that because as someone said recently "she prays the roof off of the house"!!!

Originally Posted By: westbrook
I have wanted to get a format so we could print out business cards..

come to mrs. s, click on business cards and print. a business card already filled out with

(just to show an idea)

Mrs. Survival

http:www.mrssurvival.com

for information on canning, stocking a pantry, emergency preparedness and more

you could pass them out or leave one on a church board and so on.

I love my Mrs. Survival t-shirt! butchered a chicken in it and was so sad when the blood washed out!

I was thinking about a bumper sticker too! for those that dared!

Preparedness Is Empowerment

......mrssurvival.com......

Yes! I really like the idea of business cards. I still put up the flyer every now and then, but business cards would be so much easier.

I wish I new more about computers dogmom... this seems like a simple thing to do... click at the top go to the business card page... hit print and it would print them out on your computer. If you wanted to use those perforated business cards great, if not printer paper and cut them along the dotted lines?

leave them at walmart one here and one there by the top ramen or instant potatoes or milk!

You can get almost free business cards at vistaprint.com. (They charge for shipping)

Ok, this is what we're going to do.

I've been praying about this and then received a pm, suggesting what I feel the Lord had been laying on my heart, confirming the exact same thing.

I'm ok saying that things AT THIS MOMENT, are tight for me...in fact they have been this past year and a half...

I've always said that it's ALL ok, because I've learned alot, gotten my priorities in line, and grown into a close, more intimate relationship with Him.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring...things may even out for me and then I can get back to solely supporting this site myself like I've always done in the past.

Right now, we have some legitimate needs with the site, that I have layed out in my previous post. Some of our dear Mods and Admins have already been pushing me to let them help, and then Trip opened his big mouth in public lol and y'all have flooded with caring and support, which is very, very sweet.

MrsS ISN'T going down or away, so we need to make sure everyone understands that upfront. But, we do have some costs, and desires that we'd like to do within the site, to secure it and make it more stable in the days ahead. Since I can't cover all these costs myself right now, I'm going to allow TEMPORARY, FINITE donations to be made. I'm going to get exact amounts as to exactly the amount we will need, and post it publically. I'm going to provide some of the monies needed, and if we get enough to cover that cost, we'll go ahead and do it. If not, then I'll just send people's monies back to them and we'll deal with things the best we can. Once we receive enough money to cover that expense, then donations will be closed. There is NO reason to have an open 'donate button' on the site, because in my view, the costs of the site just aren't that enormous. Everyone, from me, to the webmaster, to Admin and the Moderators, have always, always, always given to this site from the heart.

Some of you have offered suggestions as to ways we can make money or sell things to support the site, and we can look at that in the days ahead and then we'll have no need for a donate button.

BUT! I just want everyone to know that things will run the same as they always have around here. I'm still "da boss", Admin has their responsibilities, and the Moderators the same. Just because someone makes a donation doesn't mean that they have a say so in how this site is run. Either the membership trusts us or they don't and money will play no part in it...yanno what I mean? I don't mean to sound harsh here (although I know I am) but somebody has got to be in charge and so if people don't like the way we run things around here then please, please, please don't help financially. I don't wanna hear down the road "I gave $X so my feelings should matter around here". Your feelings do matter around here, not because of money, but because of who you are. I hope I'm explaining this all right...if not, feel free to ask me to clarify.

So, anyway, how does this sound to everyone?

I would like to add....

One of the proposed things to help support this site.. and I have been working on it off and on for several years.. (go to the kitchen and read cookbook thread it is a sticky) is a cook book.

I would like to have several volumes....

ideas..

cooking meals from only canned goods, powdered milk, water, sugar, pasta, rice and etc.

cooking meals from our home canned goods including canning recipes, pasta, rice and etc.

making household cleaners - soap, laundry soap, dish soap, scrubbies, drain cleaners.. and *shrug* haven't given this a whole lot of thought.

cooking from grains to include sprouting and so on.

to also include volumes from the survival guide. this i haven't had anything to do with so this will have to come from the moderators.

can you find this all on the web free? YES! of course you can.

I would like to have it so you pay a nominal fee of just a few dollars, you download or print out.

you could only buy the ones you want or all of them.. but it keeps money coming in to have them in small booklets. remember I would like to see this help support the site.

I also suggested to Darlene, that the extra monies be used to make a spiral bound version..in volumes that could be sold for cost plus. $1.00 to help support the site.

These are just suggestions!!! Darlene and I haven't had lengthy conversations about it.. just a comment from time to time over the last couple of years. Ideas to make this site self supporting with out 'taking' money.

Having T-shirts and bumper stickers are kind of a neat idea! but no one has actually talked about it.. you all have been apart of the unfolding of these ideas.

both located in the humor me section..have an idea? humorous or serious.. post it!

bumper sticker

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=1#Post253836

t-shirt

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=1#Post253858

there is so many things we can do. Purchase heirloom seeds in a 50# bag and sell them by repackaging them! LOL! ok, too much work! but you get the point.

Darlene, I think it is a great idea to have a Donation Button for a Specified Project and as needed. Good thinking to you and the others who contributed. Sounds great.

Westie, I love the cookbook ideas! I have recently realized that rather than 'store what I eat' I'm trying to learn to 'Eat What I Store' I'm really bad about buying stuff for 'just in case' and then never incorporating it into my regular menus. So, anyway, wonderful idea and I would love it to be eventually spiral bound, but would also be happy to be able to download it for now.

bighug

Originally Posted By: Darlene
BUT! I just want everyone to know that things will run the same as they always have around here. I'm still "da boss", Admin has their responsibilities, and the Moderators the same. Just because someone makes a donation doesn't mean that they have a say so in how this site is run. Either the membership trusts us or they don't and money will play no part in it...yanno what I mean? I don't mean to sound harsh here (although I know I am) but somebody has got to be in charge and so if people don't like the way we run things around here then please, please, please don't help financially. I don't wanna hear down the road "I gave $X so my feelings should matter around here". Your feelings do matter around here, not because of money, but because of who you are. I hope I'm explaining this all right...if not, feel free to ask me to clarify.

It all sounds good.

And this quoted part needed to be said publicly and firmly. It isn't harsh to lay it out and make sure there are no misunderstandings.

We have "family meetings" where everyone is allowed to give ideas about vacations or projects or needs. But my husband makes it very clear that tho ideas and input are welcome, THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY. He's the undisputed ruler, and if anyone has trouble with that, keep your ideas to yourself.

Having seen how that short circuits possible control issues, I think it wise to put things like this out on the table and make sure that everyone knows there are some things simply not up for dispute.

Originally Posted By: Darlene

Fair enough. I like the idea of letting us pitch in for finite, discrete expenses as they arise. Purely voluntary as a donation to help cover site maintenance.

We are not buying member shares, and the management of the site will not change.

I really appreicate all the work you have done to keep this site going for us, Darlene. You have created an outstanding communication vehicle for preparedness information and allow all of us to ride along, whether we are just hopping aboard for a quick site-see or in it for the long haul. You will always be the driver and I appreciate you letting some of us pitch in a little gas money once in a while when the tank gets low.

grouphug

I can't believe people would think they would have a say in how it is run if they contributed. Sad that you had to say it, but glad that you did, Darlene. That shouldn't HAVE to be said. But these days, I guess you gotta.

So how soon will a button for donations be ready? And do you need some of us to send checks to afford the button, LOL???

I have been contacted by some people who have already sent some contributions. Between what I can put together and their help, we might not even need to do a temporary donate button.

I'll let ya'll know in the next week or so.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
I would like to add....

One of the proposed things to help support this site.. and I have been working on it off and on for several years.. (go to the kitchen and read cookbook thread it is a sticky) is a cook book.

I would like to have several volumes....

I like this idea and it would be cool (and cheaper) if they were just printed on 8 1/2 by 11 paper and then we could all get a binder and 'order' what we wanted and make our own Cookbook filled with all the volumes we want. Also that way for some you can 'buy' some now and add more when you have some extra money.

Maybe put them in a 'member only' area and then we could 'donate' after we download them?

Wow, I don't visit for two weeks and sooo much happens. I'm perhaps the cheapest person I know and even I'd be willing to contribute something. If you were here closer I'd let you share my PO Box as we had to get one as they don't deliver local mail in our town. Works out as we use it for business too. Mrs S is definitely a treasure we want to preserve.

Archived