MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making Jelly with Store purchased Juice ?

Kevin B 123

OK, I have never canned anything before, but I think I want to start with a few small amounts of a juice, to maka my jelly with ! just to see the results

want to make my jars of jelly using say a 12 ounce can/bottle of Some kind of juice:

Im thinking apple Cider, and maybe a mixed berry juice.

My 2 questions are. 1 do I have to ADD sugar???? and 2 how muh pectin would I need????????

Just follow the recipe on your liquid or powdered pectin box. There is usually a recipe listed for jellies using store bought juice. Apple is usually the most common but you should be able to replace it with grape or cranberry with no problem. If you don't want to use sugar, you'll need the "sugarless" pectin box. Haven't made any sugarless myself so I won't be of much help. But again, read the guidlines inside the box. They're really easy to follow!

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving ($5) is the bible for canners and has good recipes and instructions.

I recently made Jelly from "Mountain Dew". You can make jelly from any liquid. As stated, instructions are in the pectin box. Just decide whether you want Regular Pectin (w/sugar) or No Sugar Required Pectin and follow the directions EXACTLY.

Hey Kevin -

Do you not want to use sugar or is the large amount scaring you off?

If it looks like a lot remember (as we telll others) you are NOT going to be eatting it aall at once! rofl

Now we have made jelly using juices from the store- just look for the 'no sugar' added kind. Aldies have them if you have one near by? We made apple and grape but now I may go and make Mountain Dew seeing I like to drink it 'when I can'.

Good Luck

Michael2

I always like the "Palandar" brand All-Fruit, that is made with no sugar........

I thought I could do something like it, with any given juice flavor, or maybe a blend of 2 or 3...

I am cutting down on sugar, and many of my visitors are diabetic, I guess Ill try both versions, and see what happens..

I do want to try making just 12 ounces at a time..... due to such limited storage space, ......

I have always like the flavor of fruit without any or very little sugar. Even my Apple pie have no more that 2 Tablespoons of Suger, the "secret" is to mix types of apples, juicy, meath, sweet, sour-bitter, etc...

I thought I ASK FIRST where jelly is concerned, but I want a nerar same results in jelly..... And HERE is the place to ask... thansk so much everyone

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
I take it you first must 'defiz' it?

No need to defiz the Mountain Dew (or any soft drink) since it will lose it during the boiling process. Just pour it from the bottle or can. Mountain Dew works good because the flavor stays and concentrates. Same for Coke and Root Beer.

In other comments, it should be reminded that "sugar" in canning recipes is not for flavor, but is a chemical requirement with the acid of the fruit/juice and the pectin so that gelling occurs without overcooking. The proportions should never be changed.

If one wants less sugar, use the no-sugar-needed pectin which uses a different chemical process not reliant on sugar. Then you can use Splenda and/or any amount of sugar you want.

Well, I tried 10 ounces of Apricot Joice & the "no-Sugar" Pectin, I followed the instructions, processed it for 10 minutes, and it's sitting in my counter now. It still looks like a thick liquid, but we shall see....

Thanks again for all the help...

Coke, jelly? hummmmmmmmm

Jellies can take a month to gel. If you really want to know your jams and jellies will set, buy your self some Pomona's Universal pectin. It is amazning stuff. You don't need any sugar at all. You can use stevia, sugar, Splenda, all fruit, any kind you want. You order online or find in some health food stores. No shelf life on it, either. Great storage item.

I highly recommend Pomona's. Far better than the store brands of low sugar pectins. You can make up your own recipes, make double batches, etc.

Stephanie,

Order direct from Pomona's. You can buy in bulk that way and it winds up being cheaper than the little boxes. You may need to spend a bit of money, but it is worth it. http://www.pomonapectin.com/order.html

Crazy has been using it, too, now. I think she will agree it is a really good product. Especially for we diabetics. I think it will make it easier for you to make sugar free jams.

I like using a cup of apple juice or frozen apple juice concentrate in my jellies, along with my other fruit or juice. It seems to sweeten it best and I think gives the best flavor.

I do use Splenda in mine, too. Plum and grape are especially good to me. I think I like the plum the best so far.

Yep..Pomona's is the best stuff. I've been using it exclusively for years and years because it is the only pectin I can find that doesn't contain corn products. It really is a great stock=-up item as violet says. I always made low sugar jam but now with diabetes (albeit it under control) I make no-sugar jam. Pamona's has never failed to jell for me.

Archived