MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

where can I get jars?

Robert Z

walmart ran out of them a long time ago. The only place I can find wide mouth quart jars right now is at a little hardware store in town and they charge $14.99 a dozen. All my jars are in use and deer season opens up Saturday, and turkeys are on sale for $.69 per Lb. at Kroger's!

Yup!

like we told everybody this spring - get them while you can as there will be none when you need them.

we got a lot at yard sales this year so we are stocked up (for now)

Maybe try running an ad in your penny saver asking for some and state how much you will pay (like $5.00 a doz.) Remind them you don't want the old ones with the metal band and rubber seal.

good luck

my wal mart was out earlier this year--but they got a new shipment and then put them on sale--over the last 2 weeks i have gotten over 50 cases for 4.50 each--wide mouth--with wide mouth lids for 1 a box--i now have a porch full waiting for the deer.smile

Try freecycle or craigs list, too. Let people know you're looking for jars. I mentioned recently to a friend that I needed jars, and she knew of some one who knew of some one who was trying to give jars away. I ended up with 15 boxes of jars. Some I will not be able to use for canning, mayonaise jar, etc, but many are useable. I even saw some antique jars, one like it on ebay was $15.00.

The jars are dirty and have been in storage for a while. The newspaper around some of the jars is from 1975!

If you're really ambitious, you can contact local real estate agents and tell them that you'll take any canning jars and supplies they need to haul away... full or empty.

Offer to physically carry them up out of a basement, and some *might* even pay you!

There's often a shortage of people to clean out houses (especially basements). After a death in the family, and when the rest of the family lives far away, the realtor needs to have the house cleaned out. They pay people to haul it to the dump.

Even the good stuff.

bighug

If you live by any Amish or Mennonite Old Order communities, you will probably find them there. They usually have their own general store, since they don't drive. They, also, often have a family that makes and sells jam....They may sell jars. That is where I get mine.

Big Lots also has canning jars, but it may be past season for them. Their prices were reasonable, about $6 per case. I hauled home a lot of extra canning jars this year as many others also did. I read that canning jar sales were up by nearly 30 percent this year.

I had tried freecycle before and got no responses, I tired it again and a lady sent me a message saying she had a bunch that where given to her by another freecycle member and she never got around to using them. She said I could have them if I wanted them!! Not sure exactly how many yet, but the price is certainly right! Woo hoo!

Archived