MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing sour cream???

Not sure where to put this so here goes! ashamed I have got my hands on several large containers of sour cream, BUT the experation date is like in 2 days. They were free sooooo, I couldn't turn them down. But I have tried freezing sour cream before and it was awful...has anyone else frozen it with success or does this mean I have to start making cookies and cakes real quick? Thanks!

I have made SOUR Cream Pasta,

Sour Cram many be frozen, BUT is then Good ONLY for use in sauces, Mixes, that will be frozen the flavor enhances slightly that way). In freezing Sour Cream, the whey is driven out, it’s difficult to re-incorporate it, if at all. The altered nature of the Fat in Sour Cream is more or less permanent, the cream WEEPS, and the flavor sharpness in lost, the “body-structure” ( firmness) is lost, you MIGHT be able to use a powerful mixture to re-incorporate the whey, but the firmness will diminish all the more.. Over all frozen sour cream, that has not been first “cooked” losses it viability.

Whipping cream, 1/2 & 1/2 HAVE THE SAME DAIRY FAT AS SOUR CREAM, SO THE ALTERED FAT NATURE THING APlIES----- YOU CAN FREEZE THE CREAM, BUT BE PREPAIRED FOR A CARD-BOARD-LIKE FLAVOR!

http://www.ochef.com/719.htm

Freezing Whipping Cream

Can you freeze whipping cream and heavy whipping cream?

Yes. But then you cannot whip them once they thaw. You can blend them, cook with them, bathe in them, but they will not whip.

Archived