MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! I need a bread recipe

Once again I need your help. About a month or so ago I quit buying bread at the grocery store. That was about the same time that I got fed up with buying the cheapo stuff that went stale overnight for a dollar...on sale.

So I got my trusty bread machine out and began to make bread in it. Mostly my oldest eats the bread on sandwiches and DH and baby boy will have the occasional slice of toast with breakfast. Well, yesterday DH informed me that he wants me to start buying bread again because he doesn't like the texture of the stuff I've been making.

So here is my question. Does anybody have a recipe that is like the light and fluffy stuff you get in the store? Rembember too that it needs to be fairly easy to make because while I have mastered the bread machine, I'm still very much intimidated by the thought of kneading and the other steps that are involved in "real" bread. None of my guys will knowingly eat whole wheat bread, so it needs to be white.

The thought of paying so much for a loaf of bread is just killing me. I've got plenty of flour in storage and yeast in the freezer and I see no reason not to make my own. Now all I need is a really good recipe. I looked on one of the recipe sites and found a recipe for "wonder bread", but it wasn't very wonderful. Any ideas?

catskinner

I am not very experienced with bread making but this recipe was easy and tasted good:

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees)

2/3 cup white sugar (I used less, 1/3 cup)

1 1/2 Tablespoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups bread flour - (I used unbleached, but I suppose bleached flour would make the bread whiter)

1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast, Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3. Punch dough down, Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough as risen 1 inch above pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I don't have a bread machine so I don't know how it works but I'm sure you could convert this.

I found this to be very good as did DH who also loves wonder bread.

Originally Posted By: LeeAnn
I am not very experienced with bread making but this recipe was easy and tasted good:

Amish White Bread

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour - (I used unbleached, but I suppose bleached flour would make the bread whiter)

1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast, Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3. Punch dough down, Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough as risen 1 inch above pans.

I don't have a bread machine so I don't know how it works but I'm sure you could convert this.

BTW, I sifted the flour.
Originally Posted By: catskinner
So here is my question. Does anybody have a recipe that is like the light and fluffy stuff you get in the store?

You need dough enhancer. I have been told that is what make it light and fluffly and soft like the store bought stuff.

Try making sour dough bread for them. My guys prefer soughdough bread over regular bread anyway.
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
Originally Posted By: catskinner
So here is my question. Does anybody have a recipe that is like the light and fluffy stuff you get in the store?

You need dough enhancer. I have been told that is what make it light and fluffly and soft like the store bought stuff.

Try making sour dough bread for them. My guys prefer soughdough bread over regular bread anyway.

What is dough enhancer? Do you mean gluten?
catskinner

I haven't tried this yet, but it might yield the results you want:

Buttermilk Sandwich Loaf

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons sugar

1 beaten egg

2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil

3 1/2 cups bread flour -- plus

3 tablespoons bread flour

2 teaspoons enhancer

1 1/2 teaspoons SAF instant yeast

Place the ingredients in the bread pan in the order recommended by your machine's manufacturer. Process on the Dough cycle.

Watch dough if you bake in the machine; even in a 2-pound unit it will be a lid-thumper.

At end of cycle either let dough rise once in machine pan, or remove to greased bowl to rise until double. (Cover with nonstick sprayed plastic wrap.) Rise at least 45 minutes.

Press out most of air bubbles on a lightly-floured surface. You don't need to "Punch" dough. This will make 2 (9- by 5-inch) loaves, or one large 12- by 4-inch loaf; or many rolls.

After forming your loaf, etc., cover with nonstick sprayed plastic again, and let rise until nearly double.

Bake at 350 degrees until golden and done, approximately 35 to 40 minutes for large loaf, 25 to 30 minutes for smaller loaves. Let bread cool completely before slicing.

Comments: If you bake this in the evening,it will slice easily in the morning.

Source: "The Bread Bakers Forum at http://www.angelfire.com/ab/bethsbread"

Originally Posted By: LeeAnn

Amish White Bread

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Thanks LeeAnn. I'll make a loaf after we eat and then I'll make a second loaf with the gluten, in case that's my problem.
Wish me luck!
catskinner

YES, “Dough Enhancer” WILL help make a loaves more soft & “chewy”. Dough enhancer will also extend the shelf life of the bread.

Dough Enhancer is a PRODUCT, made of Malt barley Flour, Ascorbic Acid, Lecithin & Ginger, SOMETIMES it may have powdered buttermilk too. I buy mine at a Bulk Food & Grain store, where I get flour too. Or you could go on-line, I purchase things from Barry Farm

http://www.barryfarm.com/nutri_info/baking...ughenhancer.htm

OR http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Dough-Enh...b/dp/B0001AVTDQ

If your ambitious You can MAKE your own, But in involves 1 sprouting barley seed, 2 malting the same barley seed. 3 quick drying it, 4 grinding it 5 mixing in the other ingredients, Ginger, lecithin, Ascorbic Acid.

When I want A loaf to BOTH rise high AND be soft/chewy, I reserve ½ the Yeast, 1/4 the liquid & ½ the sugar/sweetener...... I allow the 1st rise to occur, Add the yeast to 110 degree liquid, and the sweetener, then roll out the dough, brush the liquid yeast sweetener on the dough, roll the dough OUT, brush the mixture again, ( be liberal), roll the dough UP again, Flatten -roll-OUT the dough ( brush liberally again)& repeat until the liquid mixture is gone. BE gentle with the dough as you roll as TO much manipulation at theis point will OVER activate the Gluten. However after ALL the Liquid mixture is applied, then KNEED the dough, shape let rise, ( in a wet prove box f you have one), then bake.....

This WILL make a softer bread!

Thanks for all the good info on bread making. I too was at a loss because my whole wheat bread was good just out of the oven but quickly turned dry and hard. DarleneSwoon I used the vital wheat gluten but now I will try the enhanser as well. I'm determined to get a good fluffyloaf of whole wheat bread. Soooo glad I found this site cause I don't have anyone else with experience that I could ask. You guys are just great! clapsmilie

Oh my goodness! It sounds like I need a chemistry set to make a loaf of bread. I just turned on the bread machine with LeeAnns recipe in it. I also added the vital gluten which had vit. C in it. Now that I've read all about the dough enhancer, I feel like I may need to say a breif prayer also.

catskinner

Thanks for your prayer LeeAnn. Must have worked because my bread turned out great!!!!!

My oldest boy (15 y/o)loved it. He ate 3 slices before I could get it in the bag. DH wasn't quiet as happy. But he did say I was getting there and that this was the best that I have made. I'm going to play around with the recipe a little and see what happens. So I guess I'll need to get that chemistry set after all. LeeAnn, please say a prayer that I don't blow up my bread...or my kitchen.

BTW, I thought this bread was awesome. Personally I think DH is just being a tad too picky. He said his mother always bought their bread. I'm about this close to telling him to run to her house and get a couple of slices for his toast. But I wont, because he would.......she lives next door.

catskinner

Good for you, I'm glad you liked the recipe and it turned out well.

I have waged a long battle with DH over white store bought bread. I don't (won't) buy it. Over the years, he has converted as I would gently tell him the many uses that wonder bread has in addition to making sandwiches, he can also use it for glue and patch holes in drywall - a tool in a plastic bag.

wonder bread...

can be used as clay to model figures. I used to buy it to give to the kids on a rainy/snowy day. We would sit at the dining room table and make lions, bears, elephants, monsters!

start by squeezing together, it gets pretty dough like, then start pinching and smoothing and forming your figure! in no time you are an artist with your medium being Wonder bread!

ROFL!!!!!

ya mean people actually eat it this stuff? well I saw kids eat white paste glue when I was in kindergarten too...and they didn't die!

Here we go getting off topic again but this is fun:

The wonder of wonder bread is that there is any wheat in the making of it at all. This will probably be the only food available in case we ever have a nuclear holocaust, since it is known to have a shelf (half) life of several hundred years. If worn in one’s shoes it is known to destroy fungal growth such as athlete’s foot.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
I know you said that they won't eat whole wheat. But this recipe is fantastic, Honey Wheat.

If you go over to that site, take a look around, they have lots of recipes. They also have a bread machine section.

Thanks Fritz! I've saved the site so I can go back to it and give it a good going over. That honey wheat bread looks and sounds yummy! I may have to make some to give as gifts.
catskinner

Archived