MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Been called a Redneck and it didn't feel wrong

Christy

The demijohns were full, fermenting had stopped. I've been looking for winebottles but I don't touch the stuff so where can a gall score empty bottles?

While I still have some dignity left I'm not going to stand near the bottlebank and ask people for their empty bottles thank you very much.

So I poured it into sterilised jamjars and spaghettisauce jars. Screw lid on and voila, hooch in a glass.

As you do....

My DS didn't even raise an eyebrow and just said I've finally crossed that threshold and am putting moonshine in glass jars. Without batting an eyelid (pokerfaced prankster he is) he said he was very disppointed in me and expected to see cars on blocks to turn up in our frontgarden any moment.

Tsk tsk...

Christy is there an Italian restaurant nearby? You might work out getting some empties from them. You can order corks online I am sure. I think they would be happy to get rid of the bottles, which you can clean and sterilize and remove the old labels by boiling.

I rarely buy wine but just get the old gallon, narrow necked bottles and drink the wine occasionally although it takes up space in the frig. This way I can make my balloon wine whenever I want.

I just wash and boil the bottles first. Right now they are storing water. This also keeps the screw caps on them!

Lol Louis, I thought it rather approriate because when I read the definition of a Redneck, it sure fit the bill here. Been looking for a rural retreat and found one that has the livingroom looking out over a field with a hunting lookout tower. Lotsa deer there, tasty critters.

It occured to my devious little brain I could actually fire a shotgun from the comfort of my livingroom without having to get up from my chair. Send the kids outside to hoist the carcass in and to the pressure canner it is.

5 dogs in the yard don't faze me nor stacks of old tires in-case-it-comes-in-handy. laughkick

Yup, it must be genetic.

Christy

I make wine. I work at a tavern. grin LOTS of empty bottles.

Wine bottles are a PITA, gotta keep buying them new corks. Liquor bottles work great-perfect size, screw on caps.

Go to the busiest bar near you and tell the bartender that you make wine and would he/she please save you a couple cases of empty bottles. Ask how long before you should pick them up. If they say a week, then show up in a week. Tipping is good, too. A dollar a case should guarrantee ya that the next time you need bottles, they will save them up quick and do it with a smile .

rofl My dh asked for "shooting portals" to be put into the screening on the screen porch. I am pretty certain that all of us rednecks have the same exact thoughts!!! rofl

manridingdeerkd1.gif

Hi Christy,

My DH called me the same thing over the summer, he is also a prankster. so what I did was dug out my jean overalls that I have left over from the 80's, put my hair in regular braids and went out in the backyard and got a weed to chew on. Then, I went in the front yard with all his friends over and sat on the porch. They all just starred at me for a minute and then busted out laughing. DH thought it was so funny he took a picture with his camera phone.

I have to reflect on the Charlie Daniel's song "What this world needs is a few more Rednecks". In the song he defines a redneck as "A hard working man (or woman in our cases) with caluses on his hands".

When you find your wine bottles, why don't don't you get a copy of George Jones song "White Lightening" if you want to prank him back.

Christy,

I think it was very smart of you to put up the hooch in what you had. Way to think and deal with a situation on your feet. Now, if there should be complaints in the peanut gallery, well, then the passing out of the hooch will be restricted to said parties. smile

Thanks for the laugh!

LOLOL I'm having so much fun about this. Thank you for the postings gals.

Thing is, my dear son Arik is as dry as anything. He could outbluf the devil himself with a straight face. Fantastic person to have around.

He cracks me up out of nowhere time and time again.

Plus I do not drink alcohol at all. So all the hooch is for DS and he knows full well I'm forever hoping the wine turns to vinegar. Far more valuable to me and he's laughing his socks off that I only manage to produce drinkable hooch.

He calls it lullaby wine as he snoozes of to lala-land after just a glass.

Grin grin grin, the thought of you dressing up as Sally-Mae-Ellen with a straw in your mouth.. Oh my, that is rich.

Bet it gave your hubby a right old chuckle eh?

C4C, I had jars around for canning as I bought 10kg of big carrots from the.... wait for it... animal feedstore rofl

Was gonna can spicy carrots in those jars tomorrow and it just occurred to me this is one of the few places I can tell people I bought food for humans at the animal feedstore.

How Redneck is that? DarleneSwoon

My DH uses mason jars for his homemade wine. For some reason I have ALOT of those canning jars around here. lol

He did buy a case of bottles with those newfangled plastic corks. Those are only for gifts he gives friends though.

Originally Posted By: ol'momma
Downloadable lables for that special brew!!
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/acPro...=reg_R1002_USEN

(Ask another redneck how I knew where to find this...rofl)

Oh fancy labels! Looks very purdy.
Here the jars have to make do with "Apple and rosepetalhooch, 2008" on a sticker rofl
Those fancy labels will be real cool on a bottle (a real one, of glass) to give away.

Archived