MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Back to Basics grocery shopping list + recipe ideas needed!

In my recent attempt at preparing myself and DH for when I go on mat leave in a few months, I've been trying very hard to keep track of foods we're eating and what we're buying, and also living on just cash.

I have a hard time with trying to find meals for us to eat that are more 'rustic' than 'modern' because I have a hard time finding recipes that were popular back in the day. I do have the "More with Less" cookbook and I found that I actually dont use it as much as I have thought. Not sure why, but after I bought the book, the recipes lost some of the allure and lustre :blink: Any suggestions on a great pioneer cookbook that would help me out? I love making things from scratch! :)

DH is a pretty meat-and-potatoes sort of guy; I'm far more adventurous with my meals and can eat pretty much eat anything. But eating meat, potatoes (or rice), some sort of veggie everyday gets a bit boring to me.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to get our grocery list to a more basic list and learn how to make meals that are more 'rustic' and healthy. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm also loooking for any recipes/tips that anyone has on making easy homemade buns, and a recipe for homemade hamburger/hot dog buns.

Anywho, if this sounds really "all over the place", sorry :whistling: My mind wanders a lot and sometimes comes up with things that are rather easy and in front of me, but for some reason, I just dont see it :cheeky-smiley-067::P

There are some wonderful recipes in the Kitchen forum and it's sub-forum above, "Kitchen Recipes".

In Kitchen Recipes -

Mare's collection of money-saving mixes

poverty cooking

Moors & Christians/Black Beans & Rice

CORN AND BEANS- The Wonder Foods

Slug Fritters :whistling::24:

And do a search in the Kitchen for "beef", or "potatoes", or "chicken", for example.

(I purposely didn't make the above "links", so when you go explore, you'll find other goodies. ;) )

It's just fun to talk things out isn't it?

Here's an idea to help you get back to the basics and one I've been working on myself. I can NEVER remember sitting down to a meal at my grandma's table without bread of some sort being served. Learning to bake bread can be a great thing! I'm still working on it. You can change the look and feel and flavor of a meal with a bread.

I can make a mean pan of Southern Buttermilk Cornbread, add that to a pot of dried beans... can't get much more basic than that!

I recently started making my own Flour Tortillas, they are the flour kind and I have to roll them out, but you talke about Simple and Tasty! Oh My! And they are so well liked around here that they become the central part of the meal, they don't even mind eating them plain. But, I can add some spanish rice and seasoned refried beans with a little cheddar cheese and we have a feast.

The simplest meal can be made wonderful with a good bread. So, that's one place I'd start looking at. Studying about yeast bread versus sour dough. The difference between corn tortillas and flour tortillas. Then there is banana bread, zucchini bread, potato bread.... on and on.

Let's not forget knowing how to make a good biscuit!! Wow!! Talk about warm and filling and a comfort food! That's my project this month, learning to make a consistently good buttermilk biscuit.

You know, when you're expecting, the LAST thing you want to think about with a new baby or adding a sibling to the family is making dinner...and you can't always afford to go out for burgers. :o

One of the things I LOVE to do is cook for people who need it. My friends find it a special thing when they're the recipient of my cooking because they know it's healthy and diet-conscious. ;)

I'm all about planning ahead and loading up a freezer with stuff and eating from it and leftovers for as long as possible. This way you only have to stock up on perishables. I did this for my friends who adopted a child...it got them through the first few months and into a routine. It also let Mom or Dad quickly go out and get salad, milk, etc.

Here's some menu ideas:

• Lasagna Casserole (instead of the long lasagna noodles, use shorter noodles)
  • Look into casseroles - all types & freeze ahead. This is a great time to bring out family comfort foods & favorites.
  • Enchiladas - since the tortillas can get soggy, I bagged meat & cheese & sauce, then layered tortillas between saran and placed the baggies on top, wrapped in foil. Included instructions.
  • Hamburger Pie - to a can of tomato soup add about 1 lb of beef, onions, garlic, a can of green beans or corn. Top with potatoes or tots in casserole dish.
  • Tamale pie - hamburger, tomatoe sauce, spices, chiles, top with corn bread
  • Spaghetti - freeze the sauce & meatballs ahead of time, cook pasta (add fresh salad & bread)
  • Mac & Cheese - use your favorite recipe, freeze in 9 x 9 foil pans. Reheats and is an awesome comfort food.
  • Chili - Some nursing moms don't like spicy, but DAD's DO!
  • Soup - Minestrone, clam chowder, veggie soup, chicken soup, etc. Super easy to re-heat. Serve w/ salad & bread
  • Burritos - tortillas, beans, cheese, whatever fixings you want
  • Rice Casseroles - rice, tomatoes, cheese, peppers, hamburger, etc.
  • Tuna Casserole - noodles, tuna, cream soup (usually mushroom), celery, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, chow mein noodles on top
  • Chicken salad
  • Tuna salad
  • Individual pot pies - make ahead and freeze...super yummy!
  • Steak, potatoes, veggie
  • Marinated chicken breasts, rice & veggies (marinate the chicken, freeze - add a baked potatoe & veggie)

Also, don't forget individual sizes of desserts....pies, cupcakes, baked apples, frosted muffins, etc. They can be low-fat, low-sugar and cater to a number of diet styles.

Also, remember staples like peanut butter, canned soups, canned fruits, etc. can be included to expand the pantry and act as a quick lunch or snack for Mom or Dad or sibling.

A few tips I ran across: wink%20(2).gif

1. For easy clean up (and to eliminate having to return people's pots & pans), use foil containers and SPRAY them (and the covering foil too) to prevent sticking.

2. Clearly label EVERYTHING with cooking/ reheating instructions. (Remember that 'pregnancy brain' will extend post-partum, too! And if you have help, they can be clueless - this builds dependence!)

3. Do a variety of foods...remember appetite fatigue!

4. Include healthy and low-fat options when you can.

I gave my friends a list of the food items - frozen, 'dry' goods, and fresh. Gave them ideas how to serve it. My serving sizes were so generous that they could have dinner and a couple of left-overs for lunch or the next dinner. :grinning-smiley-044:

Also - If you use rice or pasta in a frozen dish, only cook the rice or pasta half-way. You're going to warm it up again and it will be cooking the rest of the way in the oven.

Regarding a grocery list - look at what goes into your favorite dishes - and make a list of what you will use for a few dishes - watch the sales, etc. Consider having someone shop at Costco/BJ's for a few things and maybe set aside a few days to do some 'marathon' cooking.

Here's how I do it - I take a look at the main ingredients in the casseroles or dishes and cook up ALL the hamburger at once. I season some for burritos, some for spaghetti, etc. I will splurge for the pre-shredded cheese unless I have an extra pair of hands to run the food processor for me and help in assembly. I buy the LARGE bags of cheese, for I use it in casseroles, burritos, mac& cheese, etc. I then assemble things like the casseroles & toss in the freezer. If some doesn't fit into the containers, it becomes dinner that night.

My DH LOVES when I do this becuase he comes home to a smorgasboard of 'little bits of things' and gets to sample whatever he likes. It also familiarizes him with what's in the freezer.

So, I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. I've done this so many times, it's become second-nature to cook for a few days and have a freezer full of food. :hug3:

HEARTGOODMORNINGWITHMICE.gif

I have always made any buns I want with my Bread recipe. :) I know it is in here a couple places. :) My Fair Recipes is one place I have it posted. I can't find them now, so guess that thread is gone. But, you can make buns out of any of your bread recipes. Just have to form them.

HUGSWITHHEART.gifHAVEANICEDAYWITHHEARTANDFLOWERS.gif

Cat,

Yep - the once a month cooking/ once a week cooking is something I try to do regularly. However, since my freezer died this summer/late fall, I've not had space to do it. It's such a lifesaver!

The first time through, I thought it was a lot of work...but when I saw everything that was done - casseroles, soups, parts of salad, etc. I was sold. :wub:

I've been trying to convince my friends that we should get together and do this with a group of us but they all think I'm crazy.... :lol:

See if you can find an old copy of "The Joy of Cooking". Don't get a new one! I learned to cook using the one put out in the early fifties. Still have it around here someplace. Mom bought a new one and gave me the old one. I wasn't impressed with the new one and don't really think she used it much. Also look for an old copy of "Fanny Farmer".

The old "Joy of Cooking" tells how to do lots of things, including rabbit and canning and cooking or baking near about anything from scratch.

Have you heard about the 3-ingredient cookbook? There is also a 4-ingredient and a 5-ingredient cookbook. Or you can buy them all bound into one book, that's the one I have. There are sections for each type of food, meats, sides, etc. and every recipe will have only 3, 4, or 5 ingredients depending on which book your using. Here's a link to them all bound together.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-3-4-5-Ingr...0253&sr=1-1

I would be willing to bet you could find one in your library or by inter-library loan.

Thanks for all the great ideas for the cookbooks! I'll have to take a look at some of them!

I was looking through the "Encycopedia of Country Living" yesterday and found a section (under preserving) about farm meals and seasonal meal planning. She gives a couple of examples of meals which is exactly what I was looking for!

Again, thanks for all your help!!! :happy0203:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know exactly what you're looking for because I have been looking for the same thing. I recommend looking a some cookbooks by Ronni Lundy. I can't remember the names exactly but one that i really like was called Butterbeans to Blackberries. She has another one Stackcakes to Shuckbeans? something like that.

If you're looking for what I think you might be looking for then I found the most success in looking at southern cooking, like old southern. Mountain cooking even. Beans, veggies and fruit. Very basic ingredients made in basic and easy ways.

Well anyway good luck and I'd like to know what else you've found if you don't mind posting it. Good luck with the babe!

Archived