MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making a cooking binder

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot or not. I am wanting to reorganize my recipes. I plan on using a 3-ring binder and plastic pages. The problem I am having is finding what I want for the cover. The binder has a clear plastic so I can add my own cover. I am looking for something old fashioned, maybe pioneer days or later. Ether an outside setting or a woman cooking. I also wouldn't mind a neat saying to add to it. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or websites with free clipart/pictures of what I'm interested in. Thanks in advance for all the help anyone can give me. :bouquet:

Liz

Have you checked the clip art with your word processing program?

I am setting one up with my favorite canning recipes. A friend brought me a very cute recipe book with a chicken/farm/outdoors cover. It is a 3-ring binder with 1/2 sheet pages. I am going to make a master of the pages so I can print out more as needed.

If you do a google search, click on 'images' in the upper left corner then enter your search criteria. Try 'canning' or 'cooking' or 'vintage cooking' you'll come up with all sorts of photos.

On some of the pix, you'll have top open the original graphic and 'save image' to your desktop or wherever. Some will be fine to save as-is, depending on the size.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip, C4C.

I have to confess, I'm so computer challenged that while I was reading your suggestion my brain started hurting. I'm sure my eyes glazed over like it does when my husband talks about all of the technical stuff he does at work making night vision tubes. I call it his nerd talk.

I'll have to bribe one of my kids to help me with it!

It's a miracle I was able to put together my profile page and my signature!

isn't this what children are for? I mean besides gray hair, wrinkles, stress, and allowing you to exercise you loud voice? oh and exercising your spankin' spoon! :24:

have your children design your cover until you can find what you are looking for. children are so helpful... it keeps them busy for about 3 minutes! enough to give you a deep breath.

I like your pix Wormy!

I use my MasterCook software to keep track of my recipes, which I also print out on half sheets (5.5x8) and I store them in half-size 3-ring binders. I've got 6 recipe 'books' so far and will be expanding by category as soon as I can find more folders. Wal-Mart used to have them, but so far no more.

With MasterCook I was able to customize the printout to the information and format I wanted. Takes awhile and a jar of Excedrin to get through the learning curve, but well worth it in the end. No pain no gain.

I find my graphics by doing a Google Image search. Lots of stuff out there. Plus I will edit and create my own by cut 'n pasting pieces together. Yup, another jar of Excedrin.

Thanks for the welcome! I do like that pic. I think what I might do after spending an hour online looking at images is cut and paste from old magazines and scrapbooking things I have tucked in the basement. Just need to find the time to get down there and look. Well, I need to reorganize, pack and store everything down there anyway. I'm trying to get ready for tonado season and need our basement more organized. Thanks for all the ideas.

Liz

You could check with family members and see if anyone has any old picutres from harvest or canning days. My mom has totes full of old pictures I mean to get at one of these days and if I were doing a project like yours I would love to have a picture of my grandma and her sisters from when they got together and did there canning. If you found one you could always have a copy made or make one yourself so you did not have to use the original. If there are no old pictures available take new ones of you and your family doing the work, chose a single shot or make a collage. There again a project the kids can help with and learn a little a family memories in the process.

I found a picture!!

I went to google image and typed in canning food. A beautiful picture of stacks of jars with different colored food.

I even managed to print it out myself!

I tried to copy it here to show you, but couldn't figure out how. Oh well, I'm getting better.

I have my recipes in those plastic sleeves that protect the pages from spills.

I just hand wrote them each on a piece of paper, one recipe per page so I don't get confused. I slide them into the sleeve, back to back.

I use dividers for each section. One for meats and chilies and such, one for veggies, one for fruit and jams, one for sauces.

I also have a section for my inventory pages.

I will be starting a section for recipes that I can use my canned meats in.

I may even do a section for putting recipes I want to try for the veggies I grow in the garden. It's easy to get stuck in a rut and prepare them the same way each time. If I have them in one place in their own catagory, I may remember to try them since I won't have to search through multiple books or stacks of ripped out magazine pages.

I love that picture :wub: of the heirloom recipes. I plan on going to the store today to pick up some scrapbook paper for the backround and some more page protectors. I plan to try and get started on it this weekend. I have an old one, but the cover has fallen off and it is pretty torn up.

Liz

Archived