MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing granulated sugar long term

jakesnana

I need help storing bulk sugar. I was wodering if I used the mylar bags inside 5 gallon buckets with O2 absorbers would that keep it from hardening and bugs out? Also which mylar bags are best the zip lock top ones or the heat sealed ones. Thanks for all suggestions and tips in advance. Rhonda

Hi,

I don't get on here much - I do try to read occasionally.

I'm LDS and do lots of food storage as well as community preparedness classes. For sugar, we recommend either storing in mylar bags or #10 metal cans. You do not want to use oxygen absorbers with your sugar - it will take a chisel to get it out! I have stored sugar this way and it's been fine after 10 years.

The best advice I can give for any food storage is cool, dry, and dark. If you can manage those conditions, your food will be good for a very long time.

Hi,

I don't get on here much - I do try to read occasionally.

I'm LDS and do lots of food storage as well as community preparedness classes. For sugar, we recommend either storing in mylar bags or #10 metal cans. You do not want to use oxygen absorbers with your sugar - it will take a chisel to get it out! I have stored sugar this way and it's been fine after 10 years.

The best advice I can give for any food storage is cool, dry, and dark. If you can manage those conditions, your food will be good for a very long time.

Oh thank you! I will do mine up in buckets wiith the mylar bags. I have been buying a bag or two extra every time I go to the store so I have a lot to get put in buckets lol.

Q

Oh Geez and here I have mine just in the paper sack cuz I thought it had bug resistant properties. (stop laughing!)

I could have sworn I read somewhere sugar was bug resistant...

Am I losing it?

Thank you Charlene for pointing out o2 absorbers would make it hard as a rock. I'd have put them in.

How long does anyone think a bag of sugar vacuumed sealed in a bag will last? I just used my regular Food Saver vacuum sealer and did 5lb bags that I got for $1.50 each. So far I have 20lbs done this way.

I use FoodSaver bags to store sugar (seal only), but I've not tried vacuum sealing them since I figured it might compact it by removing all the air. All I wanted was to eliminate moisture exposure. But, since I go through sugar faster than flour, most stay in their original bags. Only excess from sales gets a more permanent storage.

With the statement about OA's, I'm wondering if vacuum-sealing would have the same effect.

My favorite grocery store had 5 lb bags for 1.37 each with no limits. I bought 6 bags and another member of our group dropped off 8 bags today. I'm thankful but 70 lbs is a whole lot of sugar, sitting around in their sacks. Charlene sure glad you picked today to come to Mrs S. Thank you so much for the most helpful information. I love this forum. Thanks everyone, Rhonda

If it gets hard, just bash it with a hammer! :frying pan:

I appreciate the info, I'm waiting for my first mylar bags and my Food Saver.

And after you :frying pan: , rub the lumps through a wire mesh sieve into a bowl, then transfer to your canister. ;)

Stored properly, sugar can be stored for years. It will absorb liquids and can attract ants and other 'critters' who like sweet things. I do both - put it in 6 gallon buckets in mylar & foodsaver bags inside a food storage bucket. Both ways store until the seal breaks.

Archived