MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving Fresh Ginger

Ogre

My wife has managed to score a large amount of fresh ginger. Can this be Vac Packed and frozen . If it can what's considered a reasonable 'lifetime' for the spice ?

Thanks

Ogre

As far as I know its not posionous to dogs, but there are plenty of website that list what is. As far as I know the following are poisionous to dogs:

Human Chocolate

Onions

Grapes and Raisins

Dough (such as bread)

Seeds and pits (ie apple, plums, peaches)

Green bits from potatoes

You may wish to check with ginger, it may be the heat of the spice would give them an upset stomach.

PPS You can put ginger in a sugar concoction into jars and it lasts for years. Its called Crystalised Ginger.

I think it's probably too cool at Orge's locale to plant it. It's a tropical plant. I planted it in zone 7 once: it lived through the summer and made a pretty plant, but didn't really produce much. You Florida folks should do just fine with it.

Don't know about rooting it in water. I just stuck it in the ground.

BTW, I grate ginger, freeze it in cubes in an ice cube tray, and then put the cubes in a freezer bag. It keeps just fine for 6 month to a year just in a zippy bag. Loses a little of it's zing, so I just use a little more when I cook with it.

Because it thrives in partial shade outdoors, ginger makes a great houseplant if it is placed in very bright light near a window without direct sun shining on it. Ginger likes warmth and humidity, so unless you have it in a bathroom or near the kitchen sink, you may want to mist it with water from time to time. It also likes fertile, well-drained soil. While ginger cannot handle constantly 'wet feet', it does not like dry spells. Evenly moist soil is good! During warmer months, you can move the container to a partially shaded spot outdoors.

After about a year, the plant may look like it's dying. That means it's time to harvest some of the roots. Cut off some, and replant the rest. They will multiply underground, as the aboveground parts grow taller.

When you plant it, cover it with about an inch of soil. If it already has little buds shooting, plant it shoot side up.

The leaves are pretty, in a grasslike tropical kind of way! Under optimum conditions, they can grow 2 to 4 feet tall (around a meter, give or take a bit).

Archived