MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Masks

Purdy Bear

Which mask is the best for protecting against Viruses etc in the air?

I do have masks to stop both pollen and pollution, and also to protect against cold weather, but would these also protect against Viruses.

Heres the UK website I get mine from, if you need to see what I mean:

http://www.healthyhouse.co.uk/products/masks.php

Thanks

Patricia

PS Heres a Uk site for Bird flu protective clothing and masks:

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Respiratory-...26-Products.htm

If you bought the high efficianecy pharmaceutical grade you'd probably be OK against virus. These types of masks must fit closely around your face. The N95 masks (here in US) have a yearly test fitting requirement. If you have facial hair, the masks are usless, they leak air in around the edges. Any knid of mask will provide some protection, at least to droplet type transfer, so anything's better than nothing.

The main thing a mask will do is remind you to keep your dirty hands away from your face. If you are constantly reaching to adjust it, that goes against the purpose. Anything other than a full respirator isn't going to be particularly effective. Masks will pick up moisture from your breath and this makes them less effective rapidly.

Make a habit of never touching your face unless you have a clean tissue in your hand or have just washed your hands. Remember that droplets in the air will land on your skin, hair and clothing so if you have been in a crowd, a bath is a good idea when you get home. I used to take three showers every sunday, just because of perfume/chemicals that would get on my clothes at the two church services. (I finally quit going because I couldn't breath around people with perfume.)

CGA, I thought I was the only one who had to give up church and other crowds because of perfumes, makeup, laundry smells and etc. Glad to know I am no alone.

I've tried using the N95 masks in those types of situations and end up still smelling the scents so I'm assuming that they do not handle everything. I have a lot stored though because they are better than nothing and they do remind you that there IS a possibility of germs lingering both in the air and on surfaces.

It is the same problem with disposable gloves. They keep YOUR cntaminates from being given to others but don't really work in reverse. If you continue to touch your nose, face and eyes with them on it is the same as using your bare hands. They do come in handy for handling body fluids and cleaning contaminated waste IF you remember to take them off properly and dispose of them properly.

I believe there is information on both masks and gloves in the Flu Clinic Forum, now a sub forum of The Spa.

:bighug2:

Mother, when I found myself sitting in the foyer, wondering if I could attract someone's attn to call an ambulance, I decided that was enough. I WISH people didn't feel such a need to douse themselves with smelly chemicals!

Here is a website on masks and viral/bacterial protection.

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/artic...-pathogens.html

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte...stract/men005v1

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...QxQwKuiMQBAcWPA

I was reading on another site (might have been fluwiki) that as a last ditch instead of say a simple peice of fabric from a tee shirt that a mask made from microfiber might be better as it would keep out more particles. <_<

CGA, I thought I was the only one who had to give up church and other crowds because of perfumes, makeup, laundry smells and etc. Glad to know I am no alone.

I've tried using the N95 masks in those types of situations and end up still smelling the scents so I'm assuming that they do not handle everything. I have a lot stored though because they are better than nothing and they do remind you that there IS a possibility of germs lingering both in the air and on surfaces.

It is the same problem with disposable gloves. They keep YOUR cntaminates from being given to others but don't really work in reverse. If you continue to touch your nose, face and eyes with them on it is the same as using your bare hands. They do come in handy for handling body fluids and cleaning contaminated waste IF you remember to take them off properly and dispose of them properly.

I believe there is information on both masks and gloves in the Flu Clinic Forum, now a sub forum of The Spa.

:bighug2:

I do have masks to stop both pollen and pollution, and also to protect against cold weather, but would these also protect against Viruses.

Thanks

Patricia

You will want a mask that filters virus and bacteria. N95 or equivalent. If you don't already have some, get them NOW as in today. With the swine flu outbreak, proper masks will disappear quick. You also need to know how to properly use it and remove it.

The first website you showed indicated only one that might work, the High Efficiency Pharmaceutical mask.

Yep. I ordered N95 medical masks last night, priority mail but I don't know what the link is! I got it from some other posting on one of the many swine flu threads that was up in the evening last night! It was a link on Hippychicks posting if that helps anyone to find it! I have some dust masks for now,but will be glad to have the box I ordered of the N95 masks as soon as they get here. I am in NY state and with people in the city already sick, I do feel it is only a matter of time before it reaches upstate here as we do get tourists from the NYC area as the trees leaf out and spring deepens, besides travellers going to and from Montreal as well. Some local residents visit the city frequently as well, so it may only be a matter of time before it is in this area.

I think anyone who works around pigs, such as Dees DS might want to invest in an N95 respirator mask that has changeable cartridges, since he transports pigs, as an example of different methods to avoid exposure with N95 mask usage. Make sure you get the right respirator and cartridges designed for odorous vapors as well as other particles. I think thats the type to get. They can be purchased at hardware stores and Walmart. ( If I am incorrect about the type of cartridge, please let us know here.).

Evidently they feel the flu strain is already mutating rapidly in humans in Mexico.

Thanks

Patricia

Pharmaceutical and High Efficiency Pharmaceutical Masks

* These masks are disposable

* Designed for 8 hours of use

* Higher levels of efficiency are acheived with a better face seal

this is the one I would buy for the money... 8 hours is a long time, If my memory serves me once again, I think our N95 masks are good 2 hours ONLY!

I could be wrong....

Here is my world....

I put on a mask.. go to the store, oops 2 hours, back to car... take off mask and spray it lightly with Lysol.. not heavy but spray both sides. Hand that mask on the hook for hanging clothes on, put on new mask.. continue shopping.

Get back in car, spray mask I am wearing and hang on hook.

This way I can make sure that the germs attaching them selves to the outside of my mask are being killed, I can get at least 2 more hours out of my mask.

make sense?

However, these masks are not 100%!!! but it will stop those sneezing and coughing and spreading their germs from direct contact with my nose and mouth.

(RITA!!! there is one more however!!! are you ready?)

However, your eyes are exposed and the germs can enter through our eyes!

am I making your all feel more secure? LOL!

Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores that carry paint carry the N95 masks! unless sold out.

This posted on the CDC website this afternoon:

Interim Recommendations for Facemask and Respirator Use in Certain Community Settings Where Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Transmission Has Been Detected

April 26, 2009 01:00 ET

This document provides interim guidance and will be updated as needed.

Detailed background information and recommendations regarding the use of masks and respirators in non-occupational community settings can be found on PandemicFlu.gov in the document Interim Public Health Guidance for the Use of Facemasks and Respirators in Non-Occupational Community Settings during an Influenza Pandemicicon_out.png.

Information on the effectiveness of facemasks1 and respirators2 for the control of influenza in community settings is extremely limited. Thus, it is difficult to assess their potential effectiveness in controlling swine influenza A (H1N1) virus transmission in these settings. In the absence of clear scientific data, the interim recommendations below have been developed on the basis of public health judgment and the historical use of facemasks and respirators in other settings.

In areas with confirmed human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection, the risk for infection can be reduced through a combination of simple actions. No single action will provide complete protection, but an approach combining the following steps can help decrease the likelihood of transmission. These actions include frequent handwashing, covering coughs, and having ill persons stay home, except to seek medical care, and minimize contact with others in the household. Additional measures that can limit transmission of a new influenza strain include voluntary home quarantine of members of households with confirmed or probable swine influenza cases, reduction of unnecessary social contacts, and avoidance whenever possible of crowded settings.

When it is absolutely necessary to enter a crowded setting or to have close contact3 with persons who might be ill, the time spent in that setting should be as short as possible. If used correctly, facemasks and respirators can help prevent some exposures, but they should be used along with other preventive measures, such as avoiding close contact and maintaining good hand hygiene. When crowded settings or close contact with others cannot be avoided, the use of facemasks1 or respirators2 in areas where transmission of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus has been confirmed should be considered as follows:

1. Whenever possible, rather than relying on the use of facemasks or respirators, close contact with people who might be ill and being in crowded settings should be avoided.
  2. Facemasks1 should be considered for use by individuals who enter crowded settings, both to protect their nose and mouth from other people's coughs and to reduce the wearers' likelihood of coughing on others; the time spent in crowded settings should be as short as possible.
  3. Respirators2 should be considered for use by individuals for whom close contact with an infectious person is unavoidable. This can include selected individuals who must care for a sick person (e.g., family member with a respiratory infection) at home.
These interim recommendations will be revised as new information about the use of facemasks and respirators in the current setting becomes available.

For more information about human infection with swine influenza virus, visit the CDC Swine Flu website.

1 Unless otherwise specified, the term "facemasks" refers to disposable masks cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use as medical devices. This includes facemasks labeled as surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation, or laser masks. Such facemasks have several designs. One type is affixed to the head with two ties, conforms to the face with the aid of a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge, and may be flat/pleated or duck-billed in shape. Another type of facemask is pre-molded, adheres to the head with a single elastic band, and has a flexible adjustment for the nose bridge. A third type is flat/pleated and affixes to the head with ear loops. Facemasks cleared by the FDA for use as medical devices have been determined to have specific levels of protection from penetration of blood and body fluids.

<a name="footnote2" id="footnote2">2 Unless otherwise specified, "respirator" refers to an N95 or higher filtering facepiece respirator certified by the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

3 Three feet has often been used by infection control professionals to define close contact and is based on studies of respiratory infections; however, for practical purposes, this distance may range up to 6 feet. The World Health Organization uses "approximately 1 meter"; the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration uses "within 6 feet." For consistency with these estimates, this document defines close contact as a distance of up to 6 feet.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/masks.htm

Archived