MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hamburger Helper

I hadn't tried Hamburger Helper-type meals until very recently. The store had them on sale for $1.00 each, and I thought they might be a handy convenience food to have in my pantry. I didn't see anything in the hamburger meals that I thought my family would eat, but I did try a couple of the Tuna and Chicken Helpers. They weren't bad! The ones I tried were, I think, the Parmesan Tuna and the Chicken Alfredo. I've been thinking about getting more, the next time they are on sale. One box, combined with 1 or 2 small cans of tuna or 1 can of chicken, provided generous servings for all of us---with leftovers if we just had average servings. They are easy to ''dress up'' a little, too---for example, by adding some fresh garlic at the beginning and topping with some fresh (or dried) basil when finished.

However, I was also wondering if anyone knows how to duplicate these? I can certainly make similar pasta dishes. In fact, I've often made a tuna linguine dish (a Rachael Ray recipe) that is made with wine, Parmigiano-Reggiana cheese, fresh basil, etc. However, I really like the one-pot ease of this box meal. I think it would be very helpful to have practically instant meals with little effort. With a traditional pasta meal, I cook the pasta separately and combine with the other ingredients, which would require more effort, water (to cook the pasta), and fuel.

I suppose, at $1.00 each, I should just add the boxes of Tuna Helper and Chicken Helper to my pantry. However, if anyone has an idea how to make your own mix, which could be cooked all together in one pot, I'd love to hear about it.

Here is what I call my hamburger helper knock-off:

1 lb ground beef

1 med onion

1 can condensed tomato soup

1/2 cup water

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups cooked pasta

Brown the beef with the onion, drain if needed. Stir in the soup, Worcestershire,and cheese, add pasta. Turn heat to low and heat through stirring occasionally. Top with added cheese if you want.

You can make different kinds of recipes with this basic one.

For Mexican, add an envelope of taco seasoning with the water and soup and then use the shredded cheese for tacos instead of the cheddar.

For Italian, add Italian seasonings with the water and soup and then use mozzarella cheese.

I keep a few boxes of the Betty Crocker Complete Meals in the pantry. I get them when they are on sale. They come complete with the meat. They are easy-peezy!!

Yeah, like any convenience-food boxed dinner, it has plenty of sodium and preservatives, but I figure I won't care if I'm trying to make a hot meal in the first few days after TETWAWKI and don't feel like mixing and measuring.

I pull one out and prepare it once in a blue moon, in order to keep them rotated.

The Chicken and Biscuit ones are yummy. The Beef Stroganoff is okay, but not my favorite.

Hamburger Helper Seasoning Mix

2 cups Nonfat Dry Milk -- instant

1 cup Cornstarch

1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules -- or beef

2 tablespoons Onion Flakes -- dried

1 teaspoon Thyme -- dried

1 teaspoon Black Pepper

2 tablespoons Parsley -- dried

1 tablespoon Garlic Powder

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and store in an airtight container

in a cool, dry place.

"3 1/2 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To Use:

Chili Mac: Brown one pound ground beef and drain. Add one cup water, 1 1/2 cups of uncooked pasta, 30 oz canned chopped tomatoes, one tbsp chili powder and 1/2 cup seasoning mix. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Ground Beef Stroganoff: Brown 1 lb ground beef; drain. Add 2 cups water, 1/2 cup seasoning mix and 2 cups uncooked egg noodles and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Top with 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve immediately.

Hamburger Helper Chili Tomato Macaroni

1 pound hamburger

1 1/2 cups water

1 cup uncooked macaroni

1 can chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup Hamburger Helper seasoning mix -- (Homemade mix)

1 Tablespoon chili powder

First brown the hamburger and drain off the fat. Add 1 1/2 cups water, 1 cup uncooked macaroni, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1/2 cup seasoning mix. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.

Wow! You are all a bunch of knowledgeable people. Lots of different things to try. Thanks.

Canning Nerd, I think I might try your recipe, but I will add some cheese powder, chicken or tuna, and water instead of the tomatoes and hamburger.

I guess I'll also continue to keep some boxes of the Tuna/Chicken Helper on hand, since i'ts hard to beat $1.00/box. I'll just have to get used to working them into my meal rotation. No one will mind eating them, it's just something I have to adjust to using from time to time. I'm also trying to occasionally substitute dried/canned for fresh/frozen foods I would normally use---not all the time, just enough to get used to it and see what works and what doesn't.

Canning Nerd, I think I might try your recipe, but I will add some cheese powder, chicken or tuna, and water instead of the tomatoes and hamburger.

That's what's nice about making your own. You can change it any which way you like and not be stuck with what's in a box or can.

If you have freezer space, I precook my ground beef and freeze it in FoodSaver bags. Then I just thaw it when I need it for the Hamburger Helper or other casserole calling for cooking ground beef. Saves a lot of time.

How can I best store these boxes of pasta/seasonings? Hamburger Helper is a major comfort food in this house - okay, anything Pasta. I rotate all my food, but I'd like to stock up enough that the item might be in my pantry 3 years (or so) before I get to it.

How should I be storing all these noodles?

Sutstina,

Hi! Pasta is a great long term storage food item.

You may want to read what Walton Feed says ....

Pasta Macaroni Noodles Ribbons

Spaghetti Pasta will store longer than flour if kept dry. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 10 - 15 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. Pasta should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.

And you can read more here about proper storage

http://waltonfeed.com/old/grain/life.html

The contents of the Hamburger Helper are all dehydrated so I don't know what else you could do. The box itself seems mostly wasted air so its not compact. The packages of sauce mix and pasta seemed to be puffed with air, rather than being vacuum-sealed, and that seems to be a detriment to long-term storage.

If I were going to store them long-term I would be inclined to punch a hole in both packages to remove excess air and then I would vacuum seal both of them (together). Then put it back in the original box if you wanted to keep the directions, etc. Ideally cooked and dehydrated ground beef would be included so it was an inclusive package.

Other than doing all that, just put the box on a shelf and cross your fingers.

I was once given some Kraft macaroni and cheese that had been stored for years in the original box. The product was still good, however, it had a "cardboard" taste to it that I found to be very unappetizing. Based on that experience, I recommend storing such products in food saver or mylar bags.

I found these recipes a few days ago, Ambergris. They sounded good so I downloaded them.

http://www.theomegaman.net/forum/viewtopic...0fee81205fa8689

*Vegetarian* Low Sodium “Chicken” Bouillon Mix:

2 tsp dried vegetables

1/8 tsp granulated garlic

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp sugar

2 Tbsp nutritional yeast

Mix all ingredients in a blender or spice grinder till powdered. Makes 3 servings of 1 Tbsp each. Store in a tightly sealed bag or container.

This is my favorite bouillon, it has the smell of chicken soup.

Salt can be added if desired. If a recipe calls for 1 tsp, cube or packet of bouillon, use 1 Tbsp of the homemade version.

*Vegetarian* Low Sodium Broth (Bouillon) mix: This makes 1-2/3 cups of mix. Add salt to taste.

1 cup nutritional yeast flakes

3 Tbsp onion powder

1 Tbsp garlic powder

1 tsp celery seeds

2 Tbsp Italian seasoning

2 Tbsp dried parsley

1/2 tsp ground pepper

1 tsp dried marjoram

1 tsp dried tarragon

1 tsp paprika (regular or smoked)

Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until well blended. Store in an airtight container or bag for up to 6 months.

Add 1 Tbsp mix to a cup of hot water for a cup of soup or broth. Use in any recipe calling for commercial bouillon cubes or granules. Use 1 Tbsp for 1 tsp commercial.

-------

Does anyone know of a soy-free, MSG-free substitute for boullion?

Sometimes you can find powdered gravy mixes at the store or Costco/Sam's Club that can be thinned for soup or thickened into gravy. I've found the chicken and beef at Costco to be fabulous.

Also, they have a new 'organic' paste for gravies and soups there as well. I don't have the name handy, but it came in a glass jar in chicken and beef.

Archived