MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Colonel Sander's code cracked - 11 secret herbs and spices

Lots of MSG but other than that....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32027188?GT1=43001

Ron Douglas shares the ingredients for his version of KFC's 11 herbs and spices recipe

— 1 teaspoon ground oregano— 1 teaspoon chili powder— 1 teaspoon ground sage— 1 teaspoon dried basil— 1 teaspoon dried marjoram— 1 teaspoon pepper— 2 teaspoons salt— 2 tablespoons paprika— 1 teaspoon onion salt— 1 teaspoon garlic powder— 2 tablespoons Accent

I just threw away an old shaker of accent. Del Taco used accent in their food, I used to prep at a del taco back in the early 80's and it did make the food taste better. But, I cant eat it, it makes me feel funny.

Fried chicken grosses me out, I only eat skinless boneless breast, it cant have a bone in it...and skin, never. I use to, but cant make myself gnaw on a bone

My recipe is similar. I don't use chili powder or Accent, but add Rosemary, thyme, and nutmeg.

Yep, Accent is MSG.

It's probably the most easily available to the public msg for that recipe. The Colonel may not use that brand in the restaurants.

Accent has been around a long time though.

Del Taco used Accent, they had a big ole vat of it...lol.....

I can always tell when something has msg in it, even tiny amounts. Taco Bell does not use it, neither does Sonic or McDonalds. Most buffets do and they use a lot. What it does is slows my brain down, my reaction time goes way down. I will not drive if I've had any to eat. Its really not a problem anymore since I refuse to eat out, but, if caught out and needing to eat, I'll make sure I don't drive until I know for sure if it was in the food. Good to know about KFC, not that I was going to gnawing on bones any time soon...

I found a great recipe for grilled "fried" chicken that will fool anyone. It's so good and really simple to make. I make this all of the time.

http://www.ginnyv.com/2009/07/grilled-fried-chicken.html

6-7 chicken pieces, including legs and thighs

1/3 cups or more mayo

fresh or dried garlic

1/2 cup of crushed organic butter crackers, I used Late July brand

1 tbsp crushed dried Italian seasoning

Remove the skin from the chicken, if desired. Next, mix mayo and garlic, to taste. Crush the crackers and mix in the Italian seasoning. It’s best to have all of this done before you move to the next step. When ready, preheat grill to medium-low. Lower temps take a little longer, but will help you to not burn the cracker crust. While the grill is preheating, coat the chicken with the mayo mixture, then roll in the crackers until the chicken is coated well. Grill the chicken for about 15 minutes on each side. It’s helpful to have a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken reaches 180* before serving. That’s it. The coating on the chicken may get dark or even burn if the temp is too high. That’s ok, because it’s easy to remove the dark bits without ruining the rest of the piece of chicken.

I decided to make this last night for supper with chicken legs. It turned out really delicious...I did not fry or deep fry but only baked it in my "turbo oven"--the kind on the infomercial with MrT. (I got it as a gift from my friend and yes, I love it--cooks fast and good) I also had to substitute marjormam--either I don't have it or couldn't find it-- and used Summer Savoury instead...and I didn't have garlic powder or Accent. (I used Mrs.Dash which has 'some' garlic in it but normally I'd use fresh garlic)...I will make this again for sure.

Archived