MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Was Your Labor Day?

cootie

Hi Everyone,

So how was your Labor Day Weekend? How did you spend it? We just mainly caught up on yard work. I worked at my new job on Saturday and also got some time to do extra cooking. Also harvested my herbs from my herb garden and hung them to dry. DH and I got to spend an hour out Sunday afternoon by ourselves...that was nice.

I worked for 4 hours, then, helped DH. We spent yesterday installing the rebuilt carb for my DH's 4 wheeler, and reassembled the body this afternoon, while Dirty Jobs marathon pays in the background.

BTW, today is the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon.

I had intended to spend atleast part of my 3 day weekend working in the garden and preparing it for fall planting. But I've had a migraine since yesterday morning so I didn't accomplish much other than laundry, a little needlework. some housework and listening to part of an audio book.

Oh well, at least the audiobook is pretty interesting.

HippieDad and I cleaned the gardening/painting section of the garage, and he got his workbench back!

He and SIL fixed the sagging soffit piece and then the two of us went out for breakfast. Then we went to Michael's to pick up the last part for his ornaments for the swap.

The Siamese was having a wonderful time as we went back and forth into the house from the garage. She would crouch until the door opened and streak through, wait on the other side and streak through again when the person went back.

My neighbor who raises cows gave me 5 gals of milk. I have never made butter. However something that is sooo easy turned out to be a big pain.

I did everything by the book and only got a lil butter after a LONG time of whipping in my kitchen aid.

I did 2 cup batches & struggled all day.

Come to find out my NEW digital thermometer was 8 degrees off ! Trying to maintain cream between 60-64 degrees turned out to be 68-76 degrees..Arggggg

So, I have learned a valuable lesson.. Check the accuracy of your thermometer first !

Well I did a lot of decluttering under my son's bed, got all the school supplies ready for DS to take in the morning (first day of school tomorrow) and pretty much relaxed the rest of the time. DD is at her school's senior sleep over, so I got her ready for that. Amazed that my baby girl is now a senior in HS!

Saturday was the kickoff of college football so that was how DH's Saturday was spent. I finished the peaches I had left to can and worked in the garden a little with DD. It proved to be a short amount of time as I heard the zzzz of multiple bees so I sent DH to investigate. Looks like there might be a group in the compost heap.

Sunday we took the kids to the Steam Engine Muesum since they were having their annual steam enging show. It's alway so neat to look at all of the old (working) generators, tractors, and ride on the trains. Makes you think if people could build and use some of those today. We picked up apple cider, made on site, while we were there. One more sigh fall is here.

Monday was spent at my in-laws working in the garden as they've been gone for a week on vacation and won't be back until this coming weekend. I have lots of tomatoes and green peppers as well as enough raspberries to make peach raspberry jam. What a huge blessing!

DH spent all weekend working OT, literally. 13+ hrs Sunday, and around 12hrs Sat. Monday he was off work and off pager so no work, but he did go out and buy us a new BBQ smoker. Our old one had a large hole in the firebox, and was a fire hazard on our wooden deck. Now to get rid of the old one!

Sold our old washer too, so now I have both trash cans back in my garage where they belong. (folks the next town over have had the cans (city supplied) stolen recently, and incurred a $200 charge for replacement. I don't want that to happen to us.

Now to sell the Nordic Track...got a possible buyer lined up for this week.

Last night was good though. Our best friend here came over for dinner, and we grilled ribeye steaks on the new grill. YUM!

I canned the entire weekend! Apples on Saturday, Apples on Sunday, and tomatoes on Monday. I did get to go to a town wide yard sale that was even more huge than last year. I was thrilled I found another backpack for a BOB AND 4 stainless steal cups to put in our BOB. I mostly spent the weekend pealing and cutting and cooking. But I was rewarded with 18 quarts of applessauce and 14 quarts of tomato sauce. Can't complain about that!

I hung out with my boyfriend who by the way has been my DH for 31 years.We gathered Kutzu blossoms and I'm making jelly today.

cleanheart

I went to a blueberry festival with a friend ,it was packed. Last time I went was 20 years ago.DH is a huge packrat I got him to clean a lot of things out of the living room. I need room for preps. We are going to declutter the hole house.Went thru a bunch of things in the bedroom to make a goodwill run found some 5t shirts. DD2 is 10. Maybe he is not the only packrat.

Archived