MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fear of chicken and dumplings

For 20 something years,I have not had the courage to try and make homemade from scratch, chicken and dumplings. I just figured I could never get them to be as good as my mothers, so why even try....

Well two weeks ago,I decided I was starving for some good ole dumplings( thanks to little house on prairie books I've been reading, made me want some good ole homecooking)..Well, set about in the kitchen and made up a big ole pot full of chicken and dumplings... and May I be bold enough to say,,,,THEY WERE EVEN BETTER THAN MOM'S!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I love chicken and dumplings!

A few years ago my wife and I were in the mood for some chicken and dumplings. Since neither of us had tried to cook this particular dish, we did a good bit of research before firing up the stove. We tried the lump (biscuit?) style dumplings. The instructions told us to pinch off a fat tablespoon of dough and drop 'em in, so that's what we did.

Man, did it smell great! My mouth was watering the entire time. I was sooo ready! Imagine my surprise when I took the lid off of the pot and found a half dozen baseball sized dumplings! :lol:

I still don't know where we went wrong, but we've used frozen noodle dumplings ever since.

(Note: I have my suspicions, but I'm not about to point any fingers...)

Unike, Did you use a recipe your Mom used?

My Mom used to make chicken 'n dumplings. She always told the story of making this dish when Dad's youngest brother came for dinner. Our grandma on Mom's side lived with us and she was blind. Uncle, a life-long bachelor, served himself up almost all the dumplings so Mom had to divvy them up to the rest of us and grandma was asking for more and couldn't understand why Mom didn't make enough dumplings. Being a good Scandinavian I guess it wasn't in her to say "save some dumplings for the rest of us".

Archived