MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

best bread dough mixer

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered. I did search but couldn't find any info. I need a machine that will knead whole wheat bread and also rye. I just killed a kitchen aid (2 or 3 years old) and had to go to the backup mixer, another kitchen aid (40-50 years old) It was able to finish very well. I don't use it much because it has aluminum or tin as a surface and I'm not too happy using it for that reason.

Can you tell me what you use and the capacity. Cups of flour or pounds of dough. This is the worst time to be without a dependable mixer. I knew to come ask you girls and guys. Thanks so much.

I have heard that the Bosch is the best, much better than Kitchen Aid as it has a much more powerful motor than K.A. It will do like 15 pounds of dough at a time.

From a preppers prespective though, that's alot of money to spend for an appliance that depends on electricty.

Wish I had known. I found a good used Hobart, which is the commercial brand of KitchenAid for only $40 at the thrift store.

I use my Cuisinart for pizza crust and smaller batches of dough. Then I have an older KitchenAid mixer. I guess the newer KitchenAids have plastic gears in them, unlike the older ones with metal gears.

Bosch would be really good, I am told.

I burned the motors out of 3 heavy duty (supposedly) KA's too. I finally gave up on them because I needed something that could handle me and not vice versa.

I did alot of research and saw that the Electrolux and Bosch were rated the highest. I ended up going with the Electrolux because the gear ratio inside was more condusive to heavy duty work.

The Electrolux is a different looking kind of machine but I've made everything in it. I love the pieces it uses to knead dough...it mimicks fingers instead of just being a dough hook.

They're pricey though, but after buying several KA's, I've saved money because there is nothing I've thrown at that machine that it hasn't been able to handle. I forget how many cups the bowl will handle, but I do double-quad batches of things all the time with no problem.

Here's a link to the site where I got mine:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/electrolu..._dlx_mixer.aspx

I'm glad this is being discussed again, I've been contemplating what to do for this very thing.

I've been so tempted to buy a Kitchen Aid, they're on sale for the holidays at so many stores. But, I know I'll probably regret it if I do as we are really getting into the bread making.

Darlene, isn't that the same Electrolux Assitant that they sell and recommend at Breadbeckers?

I'm glad this is being discussed again, I've been contemplating what to do for this very thing.

I've been so tempted to buy a Kitchen Aid, they're on sale for the holidays at so many stores. But, I know I'll probably regret it if I do as we are really getting into the bread making.

Darlene, isn't that the same Electrolux Assitant that they sell and recommend at Breadbeckers?

Yes Steph, the BB's have the Electrolux line.

Thanks girls for your help.

I took the kitchenaid apart and looked at it (trying to intimidate it)!! I couldn't see anything wrong. My DH checked it over and found a gear (metal) that had failed. Found the part on the internet and ordered it. I'll let you know how it works after the repair. Also found many people who were not happy with the way Kitchenaid had treat them when they did have a problem.

I hope the kitchenaid can be fixed. I can't (won't) knead by hand anymore. I also have many of the attachment to go with it.

I looked into the bosch and electrolux!!!! WoW!! Pricey!! But if the Electrolux passed Darlene's use, that will be good enough for me!!

Carolb5

I have an old KA but it has never done bread dough well. I then bought a bosch and girl that thing is great I make four loves at a time and never even slows down. I heard about it from a Mormon friend of mine who bakes all the time. It is a work horse .

Good luck

• 11 months later...

Archived