MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Missing your family this holiday???

rainygardener

A very special Holiday I celebrated my 17th Anniversary last night.

I spent 9 hours in the kitchen alone, cooking and preparing for my family, happy in the thought of being surrounded by my loved ones on our special day. As guests and family started arriving sisters started fighting and calling each other names, one sister belched in the others face, the other sister had fought the whole way up to our house with her Mother in law in the car and was about to split blood through her eyeballs.

When I started serving the meal I had so lovingly prepared, my Brother In Law refused to take a plate because he hated mexican food and stated " There's nothing for ME to eat"!

Oh the joy's of the family holidays,

Merry Christmas to all.

Well, firstly, Happy Anniversary!!! 17 years, what an accomplishment! That alone should be cause for celebration.

I'm so sorry about the family. I don't think I would host the holiday again. I'm outspoken, so I would probably send everyone a note/ card, stating WHY I would not host the holiday again...there are those who would say if you called attention to their behavior, hey, give them a second chance to behave better.

I'm assuming these are adults, all individuals who are capable of helping prepare and share kitchen work and duties? I always have people bring things so one person isn't stuck with all the work. Perhaps this doesn't work for you...also in the bringing, I make the menu known and this way people are able to bring dishes of their choice. If they choose not to, tough cookies, they eat what everyone else does.

It sounds like you had a wonderful meal that had some very tasty dishes...

I'm sorry, Sweetie. There just isn't a good reason for rudeness and crass behavior. Perhaps you can have a private dinner with your husband and observe the good things about the holiday.

:bighug2::bighug2::bighug2:

The last time I hosted a huge family dinner, we were to eat at 3pm. (this was Easter) Everyone was to bring a dish of thier choosing. Several family members showed up at around 5pm, and not only did they not bring what they said they would bring, they had the unbelievable nerve to walk in with tupperware containers and packed up dinner and left!!!!! LOL, that was the end of that!!!

The last time I hosted a huge family dinner, we were to eat at 3pm. (this was Easter) Everyone was to bring a dish of thier choosing. Several family members showed up at around 5pm, and not only did they not bring what they said they would bring, they had the unbelievable nerve to walk in with tupperware containers and packed up dinner and left!!!!! LOL, that was the end of that!!!

Holy cow Rita! I am sorry.

I think I am done with family holiday dinners for a while, maybe take vacations with DH and make him happy, he's the best.

YUP, Been there - done that ( with the in laws) at Holiday time.

At Christmas if they are not fighting with each other, then they are bosting now much money they spend on gifts. The best is they all sit there 'braging' about all the moey (which by the way they don't have) they spend on Lotto tickets or how they 'riped' off this one or that one (like the lady forgot to scan '_________' when I went shopping so I guess I gut it for Free ($$$). And every year we have to sit there and listen to it over and over and over.

OH! by the way HAVEN'T been to one in years and we tell them why we are not going to it. We go to Lori's parents just before Christmas and visit for about 1/2 hour (about all we can take) as they STILL do the same thing each year.

Do they 'get it'........ NO!

last year after hearing and seeing our 'Pioneer Room' ( part of the house that we don't use electric in) with all the old stuff and lanterns on the wall for light, etc.. We open the 'gift' from them to find a Tomas Kincad (?) ELECTRIC LAMP that glows when off and has a 100 watt bulb in it so the lampshade will shine with 4 of his painting on it.

REASON:

Well I (her MOther) know that you have 'THAT' pioneer room as you call it and when I saw that lamp I thought it would be just the thing for the room.

Lori says " But Mom we don't have any electric things IN THAT ROOM.

YES I know THAT - But this has houses that look old on the shade so it goes with the room!

WE gave it away before the new year started - and told the persom we gave it tooWHY we were giving it away.

:AmishMichael2:

Some people! Heck I'd just say forget the family gatherings from now on, and do something just the two of you you'll really enjoy for your anniversay. :hug3:

My family can be difficult at times, and DH's is pretty absent which has it's own issues but if any of them ever acted like that I doubt they'd be invited back!!

Archived