MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Have you ordered your seeds yet?

At the Greenhouse were we work, again this year some seeds are on backorder and Tina ordered in Dec. 3 weeks before in the past. Also went to Feed Store and while there looked to see whats new this year and they don't have any seeds yet? Talked to the Store Owner and he said that he called the company that sends them all the vegetable and flower seeds and they told him that due to last years supplies being sold out that they had to use some of this years pack containsand displays for this year to make more for last year and so this year they are a bit behind. Another place that would have seeds by now also told us that seeds are in short supply and everything you need to grow (pots,soil,seeds,etc.)is up in price or not around.

So what are you finding in your area?

Did you get everything you need to plant this years garden?

~US~

PS did you notice that we are getting the catalogs earlier this year as well? and a lot more come in the mail each day.

We sent our seed order out last week. So I wouldn't think we will hear anything for another 2 or 3 weeks yet. But I will post soon as I do hear anything. Now you have me wondering if we will get any potato sets around here?

Q

I, er, actually got the itch to do my ordering several weeks ago. The last of my orders came in last week. I was able to get everything I was looking for, though I had to go to about 5 or six different vendors to do so. My collection is sorted, and it's time to start stratifying some of my flowers, and setting up for some other seeds . . .

A few people at my office are planning their first-ever gardens. Flower seeds are available, vegetable seeds are more difficult. I got the seed I really need, and am looking at ordering more come payday.

• 2 weeks later...

We got our seed order back. Some of it is missing, on backorder and NO word as to when stuff will be in either. :huh: They were seeds not easily found like zipper cream peas. Only a few places sell them. So if they can't get them we wont get them. Looked a few places last night for them and went to place orders only to be told at checkout that they were also back ordered on what we wanted!

Lesson...get stuff now, not later!

Q

=UPDATE=

If you can, go online to order seeds to see what they have in stock.

If you send in the order with money(snail mail) and then they put seeds on backorder you may have to wait a long time to get seeds (to late to plant) and they have your money so you can't go out an dget the seeds someplace else.

Seeds are now starting to show up in stores but some bins are empty. Owners say thats all they got this year ( so far)?

Sounds like this year is going to be a good one to save seeds.

:AmishMichael2:

Thank you for visiting our website.

Due to the unusually high volume of seed orders received,
we are temporarily suspending taking any additional orders at this time.

We will be accepting orders again on Feb.4th, 2010.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Your Friends at Heirloom Seeds

LOL!!! I saw it and chalked it off to one of the toddlers did something to my settings, again. I'm going to have to check out a few of the other sites I have bookmarked. Wonder what my local farms are going to be like this summer.

Thank you for visiting our website.

Due to the unusually high volume of seed orders received,

we are temporarily suspending taking any additional orders at this time.

We will be accepting orders again on Feb.4th, 2010.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Your Friends at Heirloom Seeds

WOW!

Well, there you go folks -

In black and White!

So do you think they are going to have a few people ordering on Feb.4th? LOL

:AmishMichael2:

Oh, man oh man. . . I guess I'm really glad I ordered "early". I've got everything I need, pretty much. When doing my count (What I have vs what I'd like to have), I wanted to order more scarlet runner beans, and shallot sets. Everything else I'm pretty well set for.

So, Thank You God for nagging the #$@! outta me on this one. (seriously, I ordered early because I literally couldn't concentrate on anything else until I did. It was vexing when trying to actually, you know, work!)

I'll be starting some things indoors this week-- excited! Leeks! Onions! shallots! :lol:

I hope the rest of you can get, if not what you really wanted, at least what you need. I think a lot of people are taking up gardening, so seeds are gonna be in shorter supply. . . troublesome. . . <_<

On that note, Thank you Amishway Homesteaders for the Seed Exchange last fall-- what I recieved then formed the foundation for my seed supply. I hope we can do it again next fall! :D

A few of the people in my office are talking about putting in their first gardens, even if it's only a fresh-salad box. One lady is also talking about chickens and goats, especially since I took in a gift-pack for a buddy there. She says, "A *lot* of people in Brooklyn keep hens!"

• 1 month later...
I've got my non-hybrid seed supply vacuum-sealed and stored in the vegetable crisper, which should last for several years and is my emergency survival backup supply.

Ok I'm just starting to get into gardening - I'm planting a few things this year and clearing out a lot of the current yard vegetation (we've had our house for about two years now, the previous owner was I guess you'd say an ornamental gardener. We have over 25 trees in a yard that isn't even a third of an acre and other than more black walnut trees than I could ever use in cooking even if I knew how, they're basically just shade and ornamental trees. Last year I worked on taming the flowers she had back so that my children had a yard to play in. The landscaping was absolutely beautiful when we bought the house but completely not functional at all. She had a grape vine over the walkway which pretty yes, but you had to be less than 5 foot tall to walk on the walkway to the house. The entire front and back yard where there aren't trees was a field of flowers, and she even had trees planted right up next to the house where their roots could possibly grow right into the foundation if they're allowed to get too big.) to make room for a garden and fruit trees next year so I don't know much about gardening. I'm trying to learn what I can before really investing too much money and time into it and will be buying a few books on the subject when I get my tax return.

Anyway the reason I'm replying here and quoting your post is you mentioned you had the seeds vacuum sealed and in the fridge. I was under the impression you could just buy the seeds up and put them in a drawer to plant whenever. Do seeds have to have special care so that they will grow when you want to use them?

Also someone mentioned seed-saving. On the gardening sites I've been reading it tells you not to use the seeds from your current plants or something you bought at the grocery store because something about overtime plants can develop deformities and by replanting the seeds you could be planting already diseased or deformed plants. Don't quote that exact reason but it was something like that and I've read it on a few different websites. Is it actually safe to save money by saving the seeds from the stuff in your garden now or in the fridge from the grocery store? If so is there a process to that? Is there some sort of tools you need to do this to make it safe?

USDA

"We store at about 5 degrees C, 35-40 degrees F. These seeds can remain at room temperature for planting this year, but should go into cold storage at this temperature or colder if held for more than a few weeks for planting. What is more damaging to seed is movement back and fourth between different temperatures and especially different humidities. We store our seed at 40% relative humidity maintained by a lithium chloride dryer. If the seed is placed in a sealed container you should be able to store in a refrigerator for years. We store our maize seed at between 25 and 30 years under above mentioned conditions."

Anyway the reason I'm replying here and quoting your post is you mentioned you had the seeds vacuum sealed and in the fridge. I was under the impression you could just buy the seeds up and put them in a drawer to plant whenever. Do seeds have to have special care so that they will grow when you want to use them?

I'm not an expert, but I understand that most seeds are only good stored for a year or two, after which they are harder to propagate. I guess it depends on the type of seed also. The seeds I have are guaranteed to last at least 5 years and vacuum-sealed to keep air and moisture away from them.

There are two types of seeds: Heirlooms and Hybrids. Heirlooms (or non-hybrids) are a pure strain plant that has not been modified. You can save the seeds from these plants and replant the following years, as long as there has been no contamination by cross-pollination. Hybrids are modified plantings to achieve specific qualities or colors. Most commercial seeds and produce come from hybrids. Replanting seeds from such produce will either not produce anything or will have a different result because the genetics of the seed are not pure.

It's all quite complex in reality, but basically "Heirlooms" you can keep reusing seeds and "Hybrids" are for one-time use only.

Seeds should be stored in a cool place, like a cellar. I don't have that luxury so the crisper of my refrigerator serves the same purpose.

Archived