MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Roadkill

Ambergris

My ex is on the way here with a big roadkill "deer" of undetermined age and gender. It got nailed by a now-defunkitated Ranger about two hours ago, on a crisp cold morning. Hopefully he'll help lift it onto the butchering rack once he gets here, because the DH has more back problems when the weather is this chilly.

Wow Ambergris, that is a Godsend! When I was a child our family got calls from the authorities to retrieve livestock that had gotten out of fences and been hit by vehicles. They fed our family of 9 quite often!

Oh sure we understand ambergris! My cousin and her family were called too by the authorities when there was roadkill in their neighborhood.

I know my city brothers with gobs of money can't understand this country life but it's a win win situation for all involved. Well, maybe not the roadkill but they are gone so......

Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

My mother recalled getting horsemeat from a neighbor's plowhorse that had fallen thru' the lake ice and drowned. This was back in the days of meat rationing during WWII. She canned a lot of it for stew meat. At least five neighbors and her parents, too, used up the whole fallen beast.

I've had roadkill deer (it hit us) that was badly prepared by friends. Had I had the time, space and equipment (middle of the night way out in the woods, no freezer or major canning supplies), I'd like to think I would have done better by the poor thing.

As long as the meat is clean and unbruised/mashed, why not?

Hurray for such a windfall. A free deer is not to be sneezed at and will provide you with many good meals.

Congratulations.

When I was a kid my uncle would let his chickens roam everywhere and if one was dumb enough to get in the road and got hit it was promply scrapped off the pavement and plucked (what was left of the feathers) and made into stew. Most of the older chickens learned fast to stay away from that road, but there was always one stupid youngster who would try to cross that road and it ended up stew. I never ate any, but he told us about it when I asked. He said the cars wheels made the meat more tender and before you ask if he was kidding about the whole thing his son said he had chicken stew at least once a year and no he was not kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember if I posted this story here or not (and if I didn't, I should have). I was on the way home from second shotgun season (first weekend in December), having seen nothing bigger than a squirrel all weekend -- and jiminy crickets was it cold out in the woods! I was less than half an hour away from home, tail end of a five-hour drive, when I came across the nicest roadkill deer I have ever seen in my life. It was a MASSIVE doe. DH guessed that she field-dressed out to 175 pounds. She'd been hit, and her back leg had been folded underneath her. When we opened her up, there was a bumper-shaped bruise and a couple of cracked ribs. Other than that, there wasn't a mark on her. She went straight into the freezer, and we were glad to have her, because I hadn't gotten my deer yet. And the best part of it was, when I opened her up in the backyard, she was still warm. That was some fresh, lovely meat!

Archived