MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Online canning classes

Thank you for reporting this !! We were just discussing this earlier at a meeting I had.

I also know that sometimes the Univ. of Idaho has an online course. It is a paid series, but you have access to an online chat, etc. It is more interactive. You can get one on one help. You can check their website and perhaps email them if you are interested in this other class.

In time we may also offer the online paid classes.

Finally!! I'm registered. Can't wait to get started!!

I completed this course last year but I never got any certificate or anything saying that I completed it. So i will take it again, I always like to keep refreshed on stuff anyway. My wife thinks I am nuts because I read canning books like other people read novels. I just got an unbelievable offer from a local business, I built a greenhouse this year and will be going big into gardening in order to sell vegetables for extra money since I have been out of work for over a year with local unemployment at about 20%. This business has approached me and asked me to sell my vegetables in her shop instead of the market and to teach some canning classes also. I will also be selling my canned goods there too (state law just passed to allow it within certain guidlines). I just hope I can grow enough pickles, I already have a huge number of orders. Last year I put up about 1000 jars of food for our family, I have a feeling that I will be putting up a lot more this year. Anyone got some jars they want to sell.LOL

Jake, it says there will be a certificate that can be printed out when the course is completed. Make sure you have a working printer connected so you can print it out. Good luck on your business venture I hope you sell a lot of canned stuff and still have plenty left over for your family. My goal this year is for my sister and I to can back enough for both of our families. Not sure how many cans that will turn out to be.

It is good for anyone to take. You go at your own rate, so it is a good course to take.

I will be taking one from Univ. of Idaho next month for work, to see how it compares with what we teach, and whether or not to recommend it to others, and whether or not we will also offer the online course, etc . It is a paid course, and you have an online chat with the instructor on certain days and times. You also have a message board to talk to fellow students during the course.

So, for the beginner, I would suggest the free one from Univ. Of Georgia. You will be able to learn a lot from it.

Too bad you were not here to take our classes. We offer 101 community classes and you are able to ask questions as we go along. We have samples to eat, too ! People like that part of the class as they get to try things so they know whether or not they want to can a certain recipe beforehand.

It took about a week to get the e-mail to get into the course. It seems like the questions are pretty much the same as they used to be. I took all the test and completed the course in less than an hour. I was hoping they would add a little more to the course, maybe someday they will have an advanced course. Although I guess canning is pretty basic if you understand the concepts and the rules I guess there isn't a whole lot more to it. It is a very good course for beginners though.

Archived